Dumaguete Goods Prices High

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

They are also trying to compare a country with a population of 313 million vs 94 million ..... much more buying power and the fact that the US produces much more consumables and other products than the Phils so the cost to manufacture doesn't cost as much ..... add to that the average Pinoy's ability to buy stuff on a salary of around "205 pesos ($4.85) per day in nonplantation agricultural sector in the Ilocos Region to 456 ($10.80) pesos per day in the nonagricultural sector in the National Capital Region". vs that of the US "The federal minimum wage is US$7.25 per hour. States may also set a minimum, in which case the higher of the two is controlling;[96] some territories are exempt and have lower rates (seeMinimum wage in the United States)." ...... at $7.25 per hour thats almost p315 per hour or p2523 per day for an 8 hour day .....

Now I have to admit if I lived exactly like I did in the US it would be cheaper than here but taken into consideration that I now only make $1300 per month vs $5040 per month with no overtime figured on that monthly amount it would stand to reason that my way of living would have to change ...... but I also couldn't live in the US the way I did before on my now salary of $1300 per month ...... so all things are relevant ......

I still maintain that I can live here in the Phils on $1300 per month a lot better than I can live in the US for the same amount  ..... and still maintain my standard of living that I have here .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Everyone's situation is different. I will be retiring from my "day job" in the Oil and Gas business, but will continue to be active consulting and investing, which I can do from anywhere, although the Pacific rim is where it's at these days. I can live pretty much anywhere in the world and live a comfortable life. So for me, it's about quality of life. There are several reasons to relocate to the Phils, only one of which being price. 

Cheers and good luck in the future. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
There are several reasons to relocate to the Phils, only one of which being price.   

You got that right.  When I made my decision theses were the top 3 things on my requirements list.  Would I be happy?  Could I afford rent and utilities?  Could I eat in a similar manner to which I was accustomed.  Unfortunately, the longer I live here the more I 'Need' and the higher my budget goes.

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)
It is unfair to compare the situation of someone who is unemployed or a pensioner in the UK with an independent living person who has relocated to the Philippines

JJ,  Most expats living in the Philippines are unemployed or pensioners.... 

Our moderately price hotel with breakfast in York was nearly $450 a night

JJ, $450 is not a moderately priced Hotel in the UK....It is expensive.

$200 for a taxi, you were robbed.

Edited by brock
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Manila, Subic and Clark.

Davao

I forgot to think of - because I avoid such places myself  :)  - beside the big city factor, you are talking about "tourist places" and places where many foreigners live.

I checked with a Swedish friend, who go much to BOTH such places and smaller places as I like. He said some things are similar expensive in both places, but some things cost as much as 5 times more at Subic than in province...