Noisy Filipinos, Why Is It………..

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
What Amenities??

Well Thomas, living like a hermit is OK for some, I guess it is your thing but there are things to consider for the rest of the family. Schools? Doctors, Pharmacies, things that you or one off you or your Family just may need one day. Any way, I wish you well. Although I like peace and quiet, I always remember the thing about a truck drivers and their mirrors,

they will tell you, if you cant see my mirrors I cant see you, behind me. Just a thought, if you cant hear Anything, at all, then no one will hear you. :unsure:

:tiphat:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
What Amenities??

Well Thomas, living like a hermit is OK for some, I guess it is your thing but there are things to consider for the rest of the family. Schools? Doctors, Pharmacies, things that you or one off you or your Family just may need one day. Any way, I wish you well. Although I like peace and quiet, I always remember the thing about a truck drivers and their mirrors,

they will tell you, if you cant see my mirrors I cant see you, behind me. Just a thought, if you cant hear Anything, at all, then no one will hear you. :unsure:

:tiphat:

Schools: That's why I aim at 1 km or so to the village with school (at least primary school). In e g Siketuna in Talibon hills they have even secondary school in the barangar village. Important to be close enough for children to go there themselves, so I don't need to leave home every morning :)

Less often needed things: But haven't you heared of cars? :)

If the road is good enough to not get stucked during rain season, it can be FASTER to go to the province hospital from a countryside home, than trying to get from a CITY home through trafic in a big city...

(Where I live now it's 7 km to a town with a small hospital and 70 km to a fully equiped one, so it wouldn't be any big difference if I end up e g in the Talibon countryside if building close enough to a concrete road. Talibon has level 2 hospital. Where I live now it take 10-15 minutes to get to anywhere in the town. When I lived in Stockholm city it took me over one hour to reach my work...)

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
to me interrupting some one is just plain rude and there is no excuse for rudeness ..... IMHO ...... .....

Mike, these 2 (two Words, Interrupting and Rudeness, will be found, Nowhere in their vocabulary, Sad to say but Even Bob :) , will find this out, when he lands on this ole Turf :unsure: . They are rare words, even rarer than Sorry!!

Sorry Jack but I am living through that now! My neighbourhood is mostly Portuguese with Italian thrown in for good measure - and getting a word in conversation? I just grin and smile a lot! Besides - I don't speak Portuguese so I wouldn't know what to say anyways.... :mocking: Even my Filipino friends here ask me how I can stand the constant noise as they (the neighbours) are out on the street from 5am to 3 or 4 am... There is a restaurant / bar a few doors down and I swear they yell at the wives all the way at the other end of the street to bring them more money to drink with! I just tune it out when it's time to go to bed... :tiphat:

Edited by I am bob
spelling
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Early this morning my neighbors had a new treat for me and my wife. Right at day break there was a pig outside my bedroom window making a very loud and awful squealing noise for about 10 minutes. I don't know if they were slowly torturing him to death or just breaking all of his legs but he sounded in terribly pain until he was finally heard no more. That was very rude and barborlistic in my opinion.

1 person i know has seen/witness such "outstanding behavior" of these natives,

he solved it by installing a CCTV and record such antics & when needed used his cell phone to record

,the download so the

rest of their "FACEBOOK"friends can observe how Neanderthal they actually are,

Good results . they no longer disturb others as it seems they have had learned some BEHAVIOR modification techniques  

• Like 3

relcarve25
Posted
Posted

My God! - This is certainly a great topic. I went to bed in the UK last night at nearly midnight- woke up 6 hours later and there are 5 pages of posts!

As far as living 3000 metres up a mountain is concerned I'm afraid there is NO ESCAPE from the dreaded noise. Our house in Leyte is located high up a mountain, and nearly one mile from the local Barangay. There is a deep valley between our nearest neighbours,  who have a small nipa hut located on the other side of the valley. Blissful peace until they wake at 4.00 AM and turn on their music full volume. The air is crystal clear and pollution free but the noise travels as if they were just next door! You cannot sleep through it.

In Cebu, in our subdivision house, my wife and I almost started a riot/lynching. The subdivision isn't a posh one and there is an almost equal mix of quite nice new houses and filipinos living in small bungalows from a previous housing development which was taken over.. Our neighbours just across the road have numerous children- some of whom are now teenagers. They suddenly acquired a gigantic speaker system and started playing their music at top volume most of the day and early evening. After several months of this ,(when we just put in ear plugs and tried to ignore it,) we finally cracked. They held a large family party- full volume noise and drunks everywhere- no signs of stopping and we couldn't stand it any more.

My wife and I went up to the subdivision office and talked to the person on duty, pointing out that the neighbours were infringing the subdivision rules. About 5 minutes after we returned home we heard shouting and screaming from across the road. We cautiously went outside and were confronted with what I can only describe as a 'lynch mob' of drunks- male and female- screaming abuse and racist hatred at us. Some men started trying to climb over our fence to get at us. Our young son was terrified. and so were we. I have never encountered so much hatred as I saw in the eyes of some of those people who of course were screaming all sorts of threats. It was impossible to reason with the mob and we feared the worst. Fortunately someone had gone to alert the guards who arrived carrying shotguns.. This seemed to restore some sanity to the mob who finally staggered back across the road to continue drinking.

Days later when I finally managed to speak to the neighbours I only got sullen resentment and not an ounce of contrition for inciting a mob which nearly resulted in loss of life. Sorry!- you must be joking. So just a warning about what noise can do.

Chris McG.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

Anyone who says noise is not a problem in the Philippines either does not live in the Philippines or is deaf.

Everything is too loud in the Philippines for people from other countries, the people, their music, their singing, their motorcycles, the rosters. I can't think of one thing that is quieter in the Philippines than in the rest of the world.

Today I was invited to a Fiesta in the mountains where there is no road but electricity is available.  We walked up and down hills on a narrow path until we arrived at a small village. There was one or more speakers in the trees somewhere that I couldn't see blasting out almost unbearable loud music and we were surrounded by Rosters that seemed to be trying the match the laud volume of the music. The lady who invited me and my wife was sitting about 10 feet away when she began a conversation with me. I'm a very quiet soft spoken person but we had a yell to be able to hear each other. If I lived there I would kill all of those damned loud Rosters. Of course the Filipinos thought nothing about all the loud noise which perpetuates the noise.

• Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Anyone who says noise is not a problem in the Philippines either does not live in the Philippines or is deaf.

Everything is too loud in the Philippines for people from other countries, the people, their music, their singing, their motorcycles, the rosters. I can't think of one thing that is quieter in the Philippines than in the rest of the world.

Today I was invited to a Fiesta in the mountains where there is no road but electricity is available.  We walked up and down hills on a narrow path until we arrived at a small village. There was one or more speakers in the trees somewhere that I couldn't see blasting out almost unbearable loud music and we were surrounded by Rosters that seemed to be trying the match the laud volume of the music. The lady who invited me and my wife was sitting about 10 feet away when she began a conversation with me. I'm a very quiet soft spoken person but we had a yell to be able to hear each other. If I lived there I would kill all of those damned loud Rosters. Of course the Filipinos thought nothing about all the loud noise which perpetuates the noise.

Noise problem in the Philippines??   Nahhhhh. Were not LOUD, were just PROUD. After 40 years of concerts and Rock &Roll in the USA and UK. this aint loud , trust me , ehh ....tanks  ej. :cheersty: 

• Like 3

relcarve25
Posted
Posted

While there are many funny sides to noise in the Philippines and other countries it perhaps shouldn't be forgotten that the undoubted problem can. and does, cause multiple HEALTH issues. Also the TYPE OF NOISE is very important as some kinds of noise are far more intrusive to the human brain than others. We probably all know that if you live or work in a noisy factory type of environment you can actually adapt to that noise, and your brain filters it out after a time. But it is a scientifically proven fact that the noise of a 'crying baby', human or otherwise, cannot be ignored by most normal people. Our brains are genetically 'hotwired' to notice and respond physically to this noise. Of course, as humans, we notice human baby crying most but the noises of some other animals in distress- e.g. dogs and cats- can also affect us. The huge amount of cruelty to dogs, cats and pigs etc. in the Philippines creates regular noise which is distressing to us and affects us.

But don't take my word for it- below are just a few abstracts from reputable scientific sites about noise and health issues:

The effects of sound don’t stop with the ears. Non auditory effects of noise exposure are those effects that don’t cause hearing loss but still can be measured, such as elevated blood pressure, loss of sleep, increased heart rate, cardiovascular constriction, laboured breathing, and changes in brain chemistry. According to the WHO Guidelines for Community Noise, “these health effects, in turn, can lead to social handicap, reduced productivity, decreased performance in learning, absenteeism in the workplace and school, increased drug use, and accidents.

Other human and animal studies also have linked noise exposure to chronic changes in blood pressure and heart rate. For example, in the July–August 2002 issue of the Archives of Environmental Health, a team of government and university researchers concluded that exposure to sound “acts as a stressor—activating physiological mechanisms that over time can produce adverse health effects. Although all the effects and mechanisms are not elucidated, noise may elevate systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, and heart rate, thus producing both acute and chronic health effects.”

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roadway noise is a major source of exposure, particularly from tires

Noise health effects are the health consequences of elevated sound levels. Elevated workplace or other noise can cause hearing impairment, hypertension, ischemic heart disease, annoyance, and sleep disturbance. Changes in the immune system and birth defects have been attributed to noise exposure.[1]

Just a thought- when you consider that almost every adult filipino that you come across seems to end up with high blood pressure, often at quite an early age, it makes you wonder if noise is one of the contributory factors to this prevalent condition?

Chris McG.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I live in a rural province but have all the necessities here.  It is DEAD quiet most nights and not very noisy most days.  There are a few evenings when people want to have their karaoke or disco music and the church is incredibly rude with their loudspeakers but on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is loud, I would give it a 2.  But maybe I'm deaf.

When we first moved here, my filipino neighbors gave me a written warning that we were making too much noise after 9 pm because our tv was 'too loud' and my wife was using the magicsing in contravention of the Barangay bylaws.  Previous tenants in this house said it was too loud here because they could hear the negihbors at a half kilometer away playing their tv.  I suggest if it is quiet enough to hear that then its pretty quiet here, but sound carries a long way.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave,

Sounds very quiet were you live. What Province is that? Sometimes the noise is so loud here that I can't hear myself think and you can't have a normal conversation with another person.