Noisy Filipinos, Why Is It………..

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thank gawd I"m half deaf and the other half has learned to read lips!  

YUP!  Those years working around screaming jet engines did me a world of good!  Can't wait until I can try out that quiet quiet city of Cebu!

:mocking:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What Province is that?

The province is Biliran.  I am not suggesting it would be good for everyone as the happiest foreigners here are the ones with wives from this province or looking for a wife from this province.  The single guys and the guys who have no marital ties here tend to get bored quickly and wander off.

But this is not the only quiet, rural province.  If a person needs quiet, it is available.  If a person needs activities found in a city they are available.  Just not both in the same place.

• Like 3

calpurnia
Posted
Posted

this is funny :lol: oh well you'll get used to these "noisy talking" in the long run

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
But this is not the only quiet, rural province. If a person needs quiet, it is available. If a person needs activities found in a city they are available. Just not both in the same place.

Yup where we live it is in an old subdivision .... and small .... most if not all the houses are at least 15-20 years old and huge .... we have no small kids on our street and NO KARAOKE .... if you can believe that .... do have some dogs but they just bark at strangers or the occasional tri-cycle that wonders in ..... most here are oldies but goodies (us included :mocking: ) and some college kids staying with their lola's and believe me they don't make a peep after 9:00pm ..... most of them have jobs assigned to them around the yard and house so no time for any monkey business ..... the lola across the street had a birthday party about a month ago with about 20-30 guests and you hardly knew they were there except the cars parked up and down the street ..... if it remains the way it is now I believe we have found our utopia with no plans to move .... but as Bob said in a recent post .... that can change in a moment .... :thumbsup:  :hystery:  :hystery: 

:cheersty:  

• Like 2

relcarve25
Posted
Posted

My wife suggests that the best answer to this problem is to find an area with frequent 'brownouts.' Spoilt for choice I suspect? :rolleyes:  Chris McG.

relcarve25
Posted
Posted (edited)

I discovered MY noise 'Achilles Heel' a few years ago in the UK. We had just moved into a new house in an estate and the construction company had installed alarms on all the houses. Ours was a box mounted high up on a wall- not easy to access. Not long afterwards I was in the middle of teaching a class at my school when a message was relayed to me saying that my wife had telephoned and that there was an emergency at home. Naturally I dropped everything and got a fellow teacher to cover my class. I drove home like crazy and as I neared our house I could hear an alarm blaring at full volume. My wife was waiting outside, very upset, and said there had been a power cut and the alarm had gone off. She couldn't find where to turn it off. I went to the control in the house and was unable to turn it off too.

Turning off the electricity had no effect. By now there were lots of passers by and neighbours who were laughing and obviously thinking that we were idiots, and why didn't we turn the dreadful noise off. I found the name of the alarm company and telephoned them- they said the power cut had triggered the alarm but it couldn't be turned off as it operated on an internal battery. In dismay I 'screamed' at them above the noise--"So what the Hell can I do?" Their answer was - "wait for the battery to run down!"

Now I must have 'flipped'- the noise had penetrated my brain and I couldn't stand it any longer. I grabbed a large hammer from my toolbox and ran upstairs. Hanging by one hand from an upstairs window I could just reach the alarm box- I smashed it and smashed it until it finally gave in, the noise reduced to a 'whimper' and the remains of the box dropped down to the ground below. Not content with this I followed it outside and continued to beat it with my hammer, swearing like a real trooper, until it was totally destroyed and in tiny pieces. Upon returning indoors I found my wife cowering in the cupboard under the stairs, afraid to come out in case I set on her with the hammer.

Now I'm really a very patient, mild mannered and totally non violent person, but the alarm had found my weakness. From that time on I have never used an alarm of any sort and run a mile in the opposite direction if I hear one go off.

Chris McG.

Edited by relcarve25
  • Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The effects of sound don’t stop with the ears. Non auditory effects of noise exposure are those effects that don’t cause hearing loss but still can be measured, such as elevated blood pressure, loss of sleep, increased heart rate, cardiovascular constriction, laboured breathing, and changes in brain chemistry.

Yes, sure sound can give very bad effects. It's even used as "preparing" in some tortoure related types of interrogations.

Extra hard when it disturbs sleep.

But there are good sounds too.

E g when used in mental training.

And some farmers even claim their cows give more milk, when playing music they like: Some cows like Mozart  :)

My wife suggests that the best answer to this problem is to find an area with frequent 'brownouts.' Spoilt for choice I suspect?   Chris McG.

But roosters, motorbikes and dogs don't stop by brownouts  :)

That's why I want to live where there are no neighbours within sound disturbing reach  :)

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
But roosters, motorbikes and dogs don't stop by brownouts 

I can add fireworks and firecrackers to the above constant noises most any day of the year at times even from the churches or city hall.

• Like 1