Training Your Filpino Partner

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So there we have it. Seems most of us agree, It ain't going to happen. (re -training our partner/s) Best left alone, our loved ones coped admirably before we came along, as did their mothers,  OLD CLICHE.   "Let sleeping Dogs lay." :unsure:  

BTW, what has happened to Wayne???

:tiphat:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Everything said here sounds good for most Filipinas but when it comes to my wife I disagree. She is very eager to learn new things and is very happy when I teach her something new that she never heard before.  The only thing she does now that seems very strange to me is always use maximum heat when cooking.  She sister does it too.  She never uses low or medium on a gas or electric cooked.  Do you have the same problem?

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The only thing she does now that seems very strange to me is always use maximum heat when cooking.  

:hystery:   What!! your Wife Cooks? You Lucky man :mocking:  Kidding of Course, Yep, seems a common thing thing here, maybe the Chinese influence. Everything seems to be sort of, WOK cooked. ( well in our house anyway) :unsure:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I don't know if re-train would be the word I would use for my fillipa, I think maybe educate might be closer to the truth. My drama's were also money related. Although I really can not blame her, the last 30 years she has lived in a family that was very poor, and she knew nothing else but living from pay-check to paycheck. (while I am on that subject, I agree with some of the previous posters, I do not know any women that can make 500 php go further than these women).

Anyway, it took quite a few months to get my girl to learn to budget, especially when I was away...haha. My mistake was to give her a set amount of money, to which she spent every penny by the time I got back. I learned my lesson. We sat down, and figured how much money she would need to be comfortable. We arrived at the figure. I would give her that amount plus about 20%. I explained what I expected, and that was for her to not to use all of it, but budget, and try to have at least a 15% surplus when I returned. In turn I told her, that this money she saved, would go into a saving account towards a house one day. Well my friends, that did the trick. When I had got back, she actually had almost 30% saved surplus, to which all went into the bank. I spoke to her mother to see what went on when I was gone, and found that she had stayed home the entire 2 weeks, no movies , no shopping, no fun at all it seemed...haha...hmmmmmm.....so I had to tell her I did not expect her to kill herself saving when I was gone...haha...moderation was the key.

Well it has been about 8 months now since we had that talk, and explanation in regards to savings. During this time she has done really great. Little does she know, if she keeps doing so great, I am going to surprise her with a trip to Hong Kong at the end of the year. Glad she does not read this forum :).

• Like 4

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
She will train you using tears, stubbornness, silent treatment and much more emotional manipulation than you can possibly imagine. It may take her 10 years, but she WILL train you. At least that is what I see in about 95% of relationships as I look around

Mine is using that technique on me now! And let me tell you, she knows how to pour it on really thick too! My uncles and cousins that have married Filipinas told me before coming here; Don't expect to be making all the decisions, even if you think its your idea, she's the one that's pulling all the strings! :cheersty: :999: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
BTW, what has happened to Wayne??

I think he got the message! as for me I'm still thinking I'm driving the car but I swear it feels like I'm the passenger! :tiphat: :morning1:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Everything said here sounds good for most Filipinas but when it comes to my wife I disagree. She is very eager to learn new things and is very happy when I teach her something new that she never heard before.  The only thing she does now that seems very strange to me is always use maximum heat when cooking.  She sister does it too.  She never uses low or medium on a gas or electric cooked.  Do you have the same problem?

I think mine does it because she learned to cook on a charcoal fire.  There is no real heat control.  We have gas burners and I am trying to teach her to control the flame size - with surprisingly good results ha ha 

And with good quality cookware (I brought with me) you almost never need high heat! 

But for the most part I am learning to live simply and will become more Filipino than she becomes American.   Now if we moved to the US it would be different - but who wants that?

• Like 4

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
You train your filipina partner??? using the reward system.

Yeah Right! Next thing I know she will be the one driving the car and teaching me a new way to shift :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted
She never uses low or medium on a gas or electric cooked. Do you have the same problem?

No problem with this one.  She showed me how to manipulate the flame with the gas stove to get it to the smallest possible.  Like Tuka, we are getting better cookware.  She REALLLLLY likes that.  Right now she is very upset at her family for scratching (I mean DESTROYING)  the non-stick surface in the rice cooker. :bash:   Someone not knowing what that finish was used a steel pad to clean it up GOOD! :hystery:   The frying pan is suffering similarly, so we are going all stainless.  Hard to ruin that! :541:

• Like 4