Cebu City Or Mactan

wayneseymour
Posted
Posted (edited)

keeping it kool this post...just looking for suggestions on apartment this time..Looking to finally take the plunge but would like to come for about 6 months to may be a year and looking for an apart for that period any suggestions on staying in Cebu city or Mac tan.( what are the big differences) :541: (see no controversy) :cheers:

Edited by wayneseymour

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)

:cheersty: Wayne.

Take a look at Google maps of Cebu city http://maps.google.com/

Mactan for beach lovers, 'quiet life', and those who not need to go to the city daily.

Cebu City for those who like shopping malls, meet up with friends, and nightlife.

You must make a choice, because traffic can be horrible 7-11AM + 3-8PM, 1-3 hours from Mactan to Cebu. Taxi from Cebu city to beach on Mactan can be P200-300 one way ($5-7)

Ayala Mall, SM Mall or Robinson Fuente Osmena, where most foreigners meet up.

Cebu is very quiet after dark 7 pm.

If you single and looking (from my own experience from internet dating) :

Lapu Lapu on Mactan, where majority of filipinas seems to live/work, or Talisay, outskirts of Cebu.

Looking for rental, apartments, condo,house http://www.ayosdito.ph/ http://www.cebuclassifieds.com/

Edited by CebuAndy

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Cebu City to live in my opinion as Mactan is only a taxi ride away to the beach where there are plenty of resorts to choose from and get a day pass to enjoy their facilities. Cebu City has more to offer by way of entertainment, shopping, dining, bars etc..... Rental properties you can pay as much or as little as you want, all depends as always on location.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Is there a hospital or large medical facility on Mactan Island for emergency care? When considering a place to live or retire, this would be one item of my checklist.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There is a way to live on Mactan, fairly cheap, and have many of the conveniences of Cebu. An American runs an apartment for expats quite near to the passenger ferry from Mactan to Cebu. It is cheap and you avoid all the traffic. Take the ferry over, shop or play, take the ferry back. If you stay late you can get a cab home and the traffic is not bad in the wee hours.

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Mactan mostly boring , flat ,no real beach except man made resorts, water quality poor , really bad traffic ,

Cebu city dirty ,bad bad air quality, bad traffic , lots to do if you like bars and restos ,malls etc

For me its the province you really don,t need to go far outside Cebu to get much better air quality less traffic (untill you go into the city) and much more beautiful .

It really depends on you are you a city boy or country boy at heart . The only time I go to Mactan is for the airport . I have explored Mactan but theres not much there for me.

• Like 4

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Is there a hospital or large medical facility on Mactan Island for emergency care? When considering a place to live or retire, this would be one item of my checklist.

http://cebudocgroup.com/mactandoctors.html

billten
Posted
Posted

Mactan IMO is hot boring and the beaches are either mud or contrived and expensive.

Cebu is too busy and dirty for me so i suggest heading out of the city into the mountains, try Balamban, Carcar, etc...

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Mactan IMO is hot boring and the beaches are either mud or contrived and expensive.

Cebu is too busy and dirty for me so i suggest heading out of the city into the mountains, try Balamban, Carcar, etc...

:AddEmoticons04230: Well said, i also can't see anything great about either place.Mactan is the worst IMO and as Cebu Rocks said, if the airport wasn't located there, then we wouldn't need to go there at all. Cebu City is not for me either................but then again, i'm a country boy.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information CebuAndy. My new business is a referral service for Americans seeking affordable assisted living and skilled nursing in the Philippines. Our focus is Alzheimer's care. The primary caregiver (spouse, daughter or son) may want to be with their loved one. We would then rent a two or three bedroom condo and hire four certified nurse aides to provide 24/7 care. The hospital has to be fairly close since the person with Alzheimer's is vulnerable to all kinds of medical problems. The website is www.overseasretirementcare.com. I am planning a scouting trip to Cebu and Iloilo on my next visit to the Philippines.