Street Food: Spice Of Life Or Kiss Of Death?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Bottled water is okay

Bottled water is only as good as the people working in the facility and the bosses quality control. In Cebu that ain't always good. I have been sick twice on bottled water in Cebu. Granted my stomach reacts faster than some others due to prior intestinal disease but just remember, if you get sick it just MAY be the bottled water.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For those of us who remember the advertising - Pepto Bismal for when you are travelling to prevent Montezuma's Revenge! Nice thing is that it does really work and works better than other brands. Once your body acclimates to the local cuisine, you are good to go! Just make sure that your water was purified using hopps!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I have been told that the meat on the street on Colon is double dead (died before it could be killed)

My wife and I were driving on historic Route 66 when we came across a restaurant called, Road Kill Cafe. You just gotta stop. Unfortunately or fortunately, it was an ordinary burger joint. So I asked the waittress, "How do I know that the meat is fresh?" in reference to the restaurant name. She called for the owner to come to our table, who replied with a Southern accent, "Well... I drive the backwoods late afternoon. I draw a chalk circle round any dead stuff. Early next morning, I drive again. Same roads. If there's no circle, that's fresh meat!"

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted
Why take the risk if you can afford the upgrade to a cleaner restaurant?

The deep fried Chicken in Carcar is the best I have ever had As well as lechon manok , Not sure what they do but way better than KFC or Jollybee

lechon Baboy its the best in carcar I consider it street food Along with chiceron (sp) . I eat the all and just wait for them to cook me a fresh batch

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have always eaten street food anywhere I go. If you see a bunch of locals eating there then it seems to be safe'ish. Guess I'm lucky - I've been eating street food for 20 years and haven't gotten sick yet. I think if it is put on a stick it automatically kills all germs? Mexico, Korea, Singapore, Philippines,....

I'm with Bob, also eat most street food but watch locals first.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
The deep fried Chicken in Carcar is the best I have ever had As well as lechon manok , Not sure what they do but way better than KFC or Jollybee

The chickens are lean and tasty because they are free-range chicken who run around eating worms and small pebbles (helps their digestive system). In my on-going study for creating an agriculture based organic farm retirement community, the requirement is one square meter per chicken whether fenced or free-range. KFC and Jollybee buy mass produced chickens. They are kept tightly confined to prevent moving around, which burns calories. The chickens are also given growth hormones and antibiotics because tight confinement makes them susceptible to disease.

My father had a special brood of Rhode Island chickens at the farm, which were permitted to fully mature. Sunday lunch was a large chicken boiled in a large pot based on a Jewish recipe. It included potatoes, whole onions, carrots, kosher salt, and cabbage. The quality of the soup stock was absolutely fantastic. The boiling time was longer to allow the tough meat to tenderize.

wayneseymour
Posted
Posted (edited)

Any of you guys every eaten Good ole NY hot dogs taste great RIGHT ...but you got to see the process the meat goes through and how its handled before it goes in your gut..then you would probably think twice ..but what the heck ,right..you got ta admit..THEY F&^%ing TASTE GREAT!!!!!!! :dance:

Edited by wayneseymour

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Are you referring to Nathan's or another brand name?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Pepto Bismal for when you are travelling to prevent Montezuma's Revenge! Nice thing is that it does really work and works better than other brands

Bring it with you, not available here I don't think.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Bring it with you, not available here I don't think

I could not find it in Cebu when I looked for it a couple years back, but I did find Maalox, an acceptable substitute.

• Like 1