Street Food: Spice Of Life Or Kiss Of Death?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I always eat the street food. Of course with significant others approval on the vendor first. She will not drink anything unless it comes from a bottle and she is the one that opened it.

Only time I have gotten the runs was from a family friends eatery.

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

bottled water for sure, i do eat in MacDonalds,and jolly bee, the only street food i eat is buy one take one burger, and fruit, never buy or eat meat sold in market, my wifes uncle once sold a dead pig meat there

• Like 1

jojones
Posted
Posted

I saw a program on Discovery about how clean the street food is here. I think everything got awful scores. Banana cube was the safest food to eat (probably because it is not meat and it is deep fried). I used to eat BBQ liver and intestines on a stick with the GF. Now I won't touch intestines as I can't imaging them properly cleaning them out. I've lost my appetite for the liver too as a quick search on Google revealed that liver is filled with toxins that the body stores there. I think it may be OK to eat liver occasionally. Never been a fan of BBQ pork on a stick, it is too sweet for me.

Not sure if Bacolod chicken counts as street food as it is served in restos, but the one near me is deffinitly "street food" in the cleanliness department. I still love to eat that once a week or so.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: Well Guys and Gals, no matter what we think as foreigners, Street food is a way of life to the locals cheap and I guess tasty to them. Without them there would be a lot of hungry people.

I eat at times from well chosen ones and have had very few problems. get a good one and they will cook to your liking. We have friends that have a good little family Buisness, Take these away from the streets and it will create even more poverty. There are still a lot of street people, that need the Street Food stalls, let it long live on. :)

:tiphat:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I won't mind eating Philippine street food if it can be elevated to the quality and sanitation standard of Singapore. After 9:00pm, street food vendors appear in most Japanese cities. You see them near train stations and entertainment districts. Some have long benches, which you share with salarymen dressed in suits. Others you eat while you remain standing.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 1

shiredevon
Posted
Posted

You know this may be the kiss of death but i've never yet in 5+ years been ill eating street food or from ice, i've been lucky i guess, the thing to make sure is that they cook it long enough, just tell em to leave it on a bit longer,

One thing that can be dodgy is siomai, some times it's reheated time after time and not that well, same goes for keebabs, i have to be honest some filipinas aren't aware of bacteria etc, basically if you can't see it it aint there, i've seen my in laws cooking meat and then using the same utensils for the raw and cooked meat, i've told my asawa always to bleach down the surfaces especially when she prepares the babys bottles at the same place.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Many well written posts here,

do what you think is best for you and suffer the consquences if any.

However BE PREPARED WITH THE Medicine,

also (here goes Bubba again) make sure that you have updated your SHOTS,esp the HEPA

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are very low quality street food vendors in Philippines. But the ones who seem to care about their businesses seem no worse (probably better in some cases) than the food stands at many country fairs and carnivals found all over the US and Canada. Of course I have got the runs off those too, once or twice.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There are very low quality street food vendors in Philippines. But the ones who seem to care about their businesses seem no worse (probably better in some cases) than the food stands at many country fairs and carnivals found all over the US and Canada. Of course I have got the runs off those too, once or twice.

OUC was talking in another post about the Rib Fest in Mississauga... And, yes, the crowds are immense! But if you ever saw how the meat is looked after, I doubt many of you would want to eat there... Same thing goes for the street foods - if you don't look, you will enjoy it much more and it's doubtful if anyone will not feel good after! The best part is eating only foods that you can't pronounce! hehe!

:mocking:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
The best part is eating only foods that you can't pronounce! hehe!

Well Bob I can Pronounce one of my Favorites. Put on ration Now but nextTuesday, is the day this month. :hystery:

post-2148-0-35750400-1344596590_thumb.jp

• Like 3