Buying A New Computer Or Laptop? My Recommendation Is...

billten
Posted
Posted
For the Philippines, you really need either a laptop or tablet because of voltage fluctuations and power outages.

I went completely the other way. After burning out 4 laptops in 18 months i got a big desktop and haven't had any problems (that i couldn't recover from) since. Problem with the laptops was, as soon as one component died, the whole laptop was a throw away. If the video died in my desktop, i replace the video card or the monitor, way blima, life goes on. Also with a desktop there is a lot more air circulation and less heat problems than laptops, that helps a lot IME.

The paternalistic attitude of Apple

100% agree, this is the reason i will never buy apple. They make it impossible to step outside the Apple community once you buy any Apple product. Any monopoly can't be good, i prefer choice, good bad or otherwise.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid the ol' Apple vs M$ will go on for ever with each side claiming victory but in reality both units have some merit ..... I just don't like the restrictions in using an Apple computer as I play tons of games and have literately 100's of software programs that will not run on an Apple ..... I also don't fall for M$'s money making scheme of changing OS's every year or so .... I've run Win 98 ... XP and now Win7 in a span of some 15 years so they ain't made a killing off me and I don't plan on getting a new OS for many years to come ..... if M$ stops it's support of Win7 than I will take my chances with a none supported system .... there are ways to work around that ...... IMHO .....

As to a tablet I have a Acer W500 which runs Win 7 along with USB ports to add other accessories like thumb drives ..... CD rom ..... external HD's ..... printers etc. ..... sure it is a bit heavier than a Apple or Samsung tablet but you get a ton of more features and options .... again it is up to you ... as they say in the Phils ..... :hystery: :hystery:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I went completely the other way. After burning out 4 laptops in 18 months i got a big desktop and haven't had any problems (that i couldn't recover from) since. Problem with the laptops was, as soon as one component died, the whole laptop was a throw away.

This is interesting. I visited several Business Processing Outsourcing (BPO) companies involved in medical transcriptions. They were selling their desktops. All the booths had laptops plugged to the electric circuit. Possibly, they have access to hardware technicians who can repair the laptops.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

While I may not be a big Apple fan, you can install Windows on the Mac using their "Boot camp" program. I have installed Windows XP pro on a few iMac's. It does work good. Nice Dual boot setup. VMware and Parallels work pretty good to. Then you can run Windows within the Mac OS.

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

PC sales worldwide ...

http://www.gartner.c....jsp?id=2079015

Mobile phone sales worldwide ...

http://www.gartner.c....jsp?id=2120015

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Part of the reason for PC sales being down? Another poll published recently concerning Quality Control and Manufacturing stated that many people are not satisfied with many products that were manufactured in China - too many returned for defects. If they only knew that 99.99% of all name brand PCs are now made there. Others were not satisfied with continually having to upgrade their OS for a price. That would be Windows and Apple I thinks! And most of those who answered to either of the above also stated that they were going to keep the PCs that they presently have. Yeah, I may not be actively working in IT at the moment but I still keep up with all the dirty little secrets...

:attention:

• Like 2

luke
Posted
Posted

If you use a PC for browsing the internet (or just check your Facebook) there are other alternatives like smartphones, tablets and even "smart"-TV's. The advantage of these alternatives is that you can have online access almost immediately (after switch-on) while Desktops and Laptops need to startup that can take minutes. (Windows 8 is trying to work on this "problem").

However if you do extensive office work, not just looking at spreadsheets, documents, presentations etc.., you will run into trouble with alternatives. That is where Desktop and to some extend laptops come into use. At least that is my experience.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
jkim248
Posted
Posted

Where do people find these awesome desktops?

For the life of me I can NOT find a desktop with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 here in Cebu Philippines.

I'm going to have to wait til my next trip to the states to find one with a 680 or a 690 + decent SSD in a micro form factor so I can carry on instead of checking it with the airline.

147,900 pesos for a Macbook Pro retina with 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of memory in Philippines?

Special order from Singapore?

With Haswell processor coming out within 6 months that's claimed to have on board GPU as fast as the current 650M in the Retinas?

With less power consumption.

"Final Cash Price!"

what the...

Mac owner are crazy.

With that kind of money I can buy me a micro form factor PC with Intel 3770K, GTX 680, 512 GB SSD + 3 TB HD, 16 GB 1600MHz RAM.

Heck, I can buy 2 of them and use one for heating my foot!

Well, I guess I wouldn't get the Retina display.

I guess I'll have to get the PC above + an ipad + a decent ultrabook with SSD  and still have some money left over for spa service for feeling inadequate for not having the retina display except on my ipad...

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If you use a PC for browsing the internet (or just check your Facebook) there are other alternatives like smartphones, tablets and even "smart"-TV's. The advantage of these alternatives is that you can have online access almost immediately (after switch-on) while Desktops and Laptops need to startup that can take minutes. (Windows 8 is trying to work on this "problem").

However if you do extensive office work, not just looking at spreadsheets, documents, presentations etc.., you will run into trouble with alternatives. That is where Desktop and to some extend laptops come into use. At least that is my experience.

I use a Smartphone for daily use in keeping in touch with what is happening...  Emails, news, etc.  At home I have several machines but the main one I use is an Acer Aspire One netbook I picked up new for under $150 Cdn (about P6000) with a 17 inch monitor, usb keyboard and mouse attached.  When I want to take it with me, I undo 3 connectors (5 seconds) and I have a lightweight netbook that is small and hard to snatch without me knowing.  I do have it set up for dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04 on the LXDE desktop (boots and ready to go in less than 30 seconds) and Windows 7 - just so I can have a free telephone app to call Canada once I get to the Philippines.  I guess you can tell I am not a gamer.  Still I believe I have the best of both worlds...  Speed for what I want and need as well as lightweight portability.  Works for me!

• Like 1