Canadian Citizen Killed In Surigao City

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

A Canadian citizen was killed in Surigao City this evening. The victim named Harry Doyle, age 62 who resided at km.6, Barangay Bonifacio was shot around 4pm this evening at the Palma Resort in Punta Bilar, Surigao City. The perpetrators were two unidentified male persons. Harry Doyle was a regular visitor to Cebu and even held a residence there, so I am sure there are members of the forum who knew the man. He is survived by his wife Jane Doyle and their son..

I will add more information once I can collect all the fact tomorrow

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have an update to this story:

He was at a beach resort attending a family picnic when he was shot. Two men approached Harry asking for either food or money. Harry got into a scuffle and pushed one of the men, when the other man pulled a weapon and open fire shooting Harry. He received 5 shots to the body, and the shooting was witnessed by over 30 witnesses. Currently the police have no suspects. I will post as I receive more information.:

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Question: is this the same Harry Doyle (see link)

http://www.quora.com/Harry-Doyle

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

geez, no suspeccts and 30 witnesses? anyway thanks james for the news, very sad for him and his family.

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is this proof that all Asians look alike or does all 30 witnesses need glasses?

Another foreigner shot dead but the wife was not injured. Can't say the wife was evolved, but has any Filipino wife been killed when her husband was killed by one or more unknown assailants? I don't remember reading a case like that.

Edited by Americano

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Never Ever push or slap or embarrass the locals Harry should have known this . This story seems to be repeated often here and not with just expats , A few days ago a 18 Y/O girl was murdered here in carcar for slapping a guy at Kareoke.

• Like 3

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't know the facts for this particular case but yes you are very right cebu rocks, it is a very dangerous thing when a local loses face even if it is because you are standing up for yourself,. Life is cheap here plus they have little to fear as most never get arrested for killing foreigners who are not allowed to be armed either. Always be very careful in the Philippines and there was a subject on this recently.

Edited by Adventurer

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

A Canadian citizen was killed in Surigao City this evening. The victim named Harry Doyle, age 62 who resided at km.6, Barangay Bonifacio; a resident of 849 Uninon St. Fredericton, NB, Canada was shot around 4pm this evening at the Palma Resort in Punta Bilar, Surigao City. He was at a beach resort attending a family picnic with his wife and son when he was shot with a yet undetermined short firearm. He received 5 shots to the body, While they were having the family picnic two men approached Harry one 5' 3'', medium build waring a black jacket and a black bonnet asking for either food or money. Harry pushed the man away and then got into a scuffle pushing him away; when he pulled out a weapon and open fire shooting Harry 5 times. the other man 5" 6"", medium build with his face covered by a black handkerchief and also waring a black jacket also fled the scene of the crime after the shooting. Harry received five wounds (1) shot to the right thigh, (1) on his upper right chest, (1) to the upper belly, and (2) on his left thigh. When the police arrived he was bathed in his on blood and had already expired. The shooting was witnessed by his wife, son and by over 30 witnesses who were at the beach. I do not believe his bodyguard was present during the time of the shooting The investigators found no slug or shell casings at the scene. Currently the police have no suspects. Harry Doyle was transferred to NILO Funeral Homes , Km. 3, Brgy. Luna, Surigao City awaiting a PNP Crime Laboratory autopsy. The PNP are presently conducting a continuous investigation for possible motive identification of the perpetrators.

I talked to investigators today myself, many who knew and liked Harry Doyle, and I trust that the local PNP will conduct a rigorous investigation and I have faith in their abilities to do so. The Canadian Embassy is also informed and has requested the current known information of this case, which was collected and forwarded to them by our President of the Surigao City Expat Association. If any members have any useful information pertaining to a possible motive or any other useful information than please PM or email me and I will turn this information over to the proper local PNP investigators.

Or please contact Investigator on Case SPO1 Rosemarie E. Almazan or PO2 Mark Anthony Miole - 09187261390 / 09999984933

Harry Doyle was a regular visitor to Cebu and even held a residence there, so I am sure there are members of the forum who knew the man. He is survived by his wife Jane Doyle and their son..

I will update information as it becomes available after the autopsy and further investigation are completed.

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Question: is this the same Harry Doyle (see link)

http://www.quora.com/Harry-Doyle

Yes it is...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

From the news piece it seems both men had their faces covered? Is that what you guys read?

• Like 1