Canadian Citizen Killed In Surigao City

Will
Posted
Posted

But I thought you couldn't have a gun in the Philippines? How was someone able to shoot Mr. Doyle? Aren't guns illegal? I don't understand. Wasn't the bad guy aware that guns are illegal? I'm sure if he was, he would not have had one with him and poor Mr. Doyle would still be around for his family.

Anyway, I sure hope that authorities catch the murderer and take his gun away from him. THEN we will all be safe from being shot like Mr. Doyle was, because (as the law says) no other bad guys can have guns (because its against the law). :unsure:

Rest in peace, Harry Doyle.

Will
Posted
Posted

From the news piece it seems both men had their faces covered? Is that what you guys read?

I haven't read the article yet, but from where I come from, if someone comes up to you with their face covered and asking for money, that isn't begging... that is ROBBERY! And if it was a robbery, then maybe Mr. Doyle was trying to defend himself and his family. Judging from the other posts, they have put the spin on that it was (kinda) Mr. Doyle's fault for assaulting the robber before being shot to death.

Its more fun in the Philippines! :unsure:

• Like 1

gmb8585
Posted
Posted

I met Harry on my last stay here. We were both staying at the Metro Park Hotel and the word at the time was he hiding out as an attempt had already been made on his life., apparently a bullet had been fired through his window at him at his home somewhere in Mindinau (?).

Anyway he was apparently very well off and suspected either his wife or a former employee who he had charged with embezzlement. He had some interesting stories to tell. Sad to hear this news this morning and this should serve as a warning to all of us that although it's a great place to be, things are done a little different here and we all should be careful

• Like 4

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Condolences to the family.

RIP

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Two men wearing black jackets. One with a black bonnet and one with a black handkerchief over his face at a Beach Resort. Sounds like they had a plan for that afternoon. I hope the investigators are investigating the wife and other family members. Usually a family member is evolved in murders like this. Maybe the Philippines hasn't realized this yet or don't want to admit it.

Of course the investigators couldn't find any slugs at the scene, they are all in Harry. And, no shell casings simply means a revolver was used.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

But I thought you couldn't have a gun in the Philippines? How was someone able to shoot Mr. Doyle? Aren't guns illegal? I don't understand. Wasn't the bad guy aware that guns are illegal? I'm sure if he was, he would not have had one with him and poor Mr. Doyle would still be around for his family.

Anyway, I sure hope that authorities catch the murderer and take his gun away from him. THEN we will all be safe from being shot like Mr. Doyle was, because (as the law says) no other bad guys can have guns (because its against the law). :unsure:

Rest in peace, Harry Doyle.

A Filipino may own a gun with a licence but can not take it our side of the residence without a permit. Bad guys in any country don't read the law or care one way or the other.

http://www.pctc.gov.ph/laws/basicFA.htm

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Bad guys in any country don't read the law or care one way or the other

Ain't that a a fact :th_exactly: The more I read of this, the more I smell a Hit! With over 30 people around this was a close call shooting. ( no other casualties) I am no gun Lover, we Brits, have a hatred of guns. Totally unarmed Country ( except those that need one military personnel, certain Police and security Forces and the bad guys of course) You do not, have to be a brain Surgeon, to see where this is coming from or going to. :unsure:

:tiphat:

Licenses for Firearms in the UK are very tightly controlled. Unlike many Countries, it is not a right to own a gun but a privilege.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Bad guys in any country don't read the law or care one way or the other

Ain't that a a fact :th_exactly: The more I read of this, the more I smell a Hit! With over 30 people around this was a close call shooting. ( no other casualties) I am no gun Lover, we Brits, have a hatred of guns. Totally unarmed Country ( except those that need one military personnel, certain Police and security Forces and the bad guys of course) You do not, have to be a brain Surgeon, to see where this is coming from or going to. :unsure:

:tiphat:

Licenses for Firearms in the UK are very tightly controlled. Unlike many Countries, it is not a right to own a gun but a privilege.

Here I am - an ex-military guy - and I agree completely! All guns - no matter what the use, purpose or who has them, should be melted down and used for razor blades. Get caught with a gun? Automatic 10 years plus in prison... Use a gun in a crime? They can only leave via spirit and not body... Harsh? Not if it keeps our kids alive! But what about in times of strife and war? There will be a military armoury with weapons ready for the nation's defence and strictly controlled at all times.

Now I do not know the gentleman this post concerns. I cannot vouch for his character but no man deserves to die the way he did. May he rest in peace and his murderers be captured quickly and be sentenced appropriately as soon as possible... And my deepest condolences to his wife and children (as well as his extended family and friends) who had to observe this heinous action.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I met Harry on my last stay here. We were both staying at the Metro Park Hotel and the word at the time was he hiding out as an attempt had already been made on his life., apparently a bullet had been fired through his window at him at his home somewhere in Mindinau (?).

More on an attempt on his life.

post-1-0-32065700-1345039035_thumb.jpg

Fredericton man killed in Philippines had previous attempt on life

Harry Doyle was shot at through window in February, says friend

A former Fredericton businessman, who was shot and killed in the Philippines, had been considering moving back to Canada after a previous attempt on his life, according to one of his friends.

Harry Joseph Doyle, 62, died of multiple gunshot wounds at a beach resort in Surigao City on Sunday.

His former business partner and long-time friend Stephen Thompson says he spoke to Doyle on the phone about a month ago about coming home.

“We had a conversation about, someone had tried to shoot him back in February,” Thompson told CBC News.

'He was quite concerned about his environment, his safety and his family's safety.'

—Stephen Thompson, friend

“He was sitting in his home reading one night and somebody drove by and took a shot through his window and just barely missed him,” he said.

“Of course, he was quite concerned about his environment, his safety and his family's safety.”

Doyle’s Facebook profile picture is of him with the apparent bullet hole in the window behind him.

There is also a separate photo album, entitled murder attempt, with 11 photographs of the bullet hole.

“I told my sister two years ago I would be murdered for being a good guy,” Doyle had posted on his Facebook page on Feb. 4.

“Everyone carries a gun here," he wrote.

Police seek suspects in fatal shooting

Doyle had moved to the Philippines about seven or eight years ago, but still owned several properties in Fredericton.

It’s unclear whether police in the Philippines were investigating the alleged murder attempt in February, but Doyle had posted “the police will get us justice.”

Police are now investigating his death.

Police said Doyle was at Palma Beach in Surigao City when he was approached by two men who apparently asked for food.

Doyle reportedly pushed one of the men and the other man drew a pistol and shot Doyle several times, killing him, police said.

"Just underneath everything, Harry's a real decent guy and he was … you know, when he was your friend, he was your friend for life," said Thompson.

"And he would do anything for you and I know he loved his family."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...hot-murder.html

• Like 2