Canadian Citizen Killed In Surigao City

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

The last article I posted was just too small to be able to read, so I edited the article and resized it to make easier for members. Click the image with the mouse which will bring the article up with a black background. On the bottom left you will see 'Full Screen' and click it with the mouse. Then when you place the mouse pointer over the image of the article and you will see the magnification feature. Just left-click and the article will enlarge to a size that is comfortable to read.

15168686_10208505609497606_2889231617038

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

odd...

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Update:

Ex-RTC judge in Surigao shot to death
By
Roel Catoto-  

February 2, 2017

SURIGAO CITY (MindaNews / 2 Feb) – Still unidentified riding-in-tandem suspects shot to death a retired judge here shortly before noon Thursday.

Police identified the victim as Victor A. Canoy, 70, who retired as presiding judge of Regional Trial Court Judge Branch 29 in Surigao City.

Canoy was reportedly buying food at an eatery along Borja Street around 11:25 a.m. when a lone gunman hastily walked behind him and shot him at point-blank range.

Eyewitnesses told police investigators that Canoy crawled towards the suspect and was able to hold the feet of the gunman. But the latter shot him in the head several times, causing his instantaneous death.

Police reports quoted an eyewitness as saying that the pistol used had a long muzzle, which could be a silencer.

After killing the judge the gunman joined his accomplice, who was waiting on a motorcycle a few meters away from the crime scene, and fled, police said.

But the fleeing suspects were surprised by the presence of a police officer who was detailed at the junction of Borja and Kaimo Streets.

PO2 Hertenio Carduza Cubillan said he tried to stop the suspects but the gunman fired at him. Sensing imminent danger, Cubillan drew and shot back.

“I believed he was hit by a bullet on his back,” Cubillan claimed.

He said he could have open fired but a tricycle passed by, forcing him to hold his fire.

The suspects reportedly fled towards Kaskag in Barangay Washington.

The victim was rushed to the Caraga Regional Hospital but physicians said he was already died by the time his body reached the hospital.

Police said the victim succumbed to multiple gunshot wounds in the body and head.

As of press time, no suspects have been arrested yet in connection to the killing.

The police’s scene of the crime operatives (SOCO) recovered four empty 9mm shells and three live ammunition. (Roel N. Catoto / MindaNews)

http://www.mindanews...-shot-to-death/

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

Update:

The murdered Retired Surigao City Judge Canoy mentioned in the above article was the judge who presided over the Arnel Sidon (former driver of Harry and Jane Doyle) shooting case that Jerome Devocion was also a suspect. Judge Canoy also resided over the proceedings of the Harry Doyle murder case until he retired last year. It was retiring from his bench post which brought the court hearing in the Harry Doyle murder case to a pause. I sincerely hope these killers are caught and face the same court. I hope family and friends of Judge Canoy get justice for his murder and I send my condolences to his family.

I also have heard last week that Atty. Zerda is now residing in parts unknown, presumably someplace in Manila. I do not know if Atty. Zerda will continue to be representing Jerome Devocion or if Jerome Devocion will need new council. There seems to be a lot of speculation as to why he choose to relocate and I also do not know if Atty. Zerda is continuing his law practice here in Surigao City and therefore will not comment any further as to reasoning. We will simply have to wait until the next scheduled hearing date to see how this unfolds to answer the question if Atty. Zerda will still be part of this case.

I was told a new judge has been appointed to the Surigao City courts. I heard that the newly appointed judge's courtroom is presently running half days, but currently I have no new information as to add as to when new hearing dates will be scheduled.

This case just gets weirder and more weird.

HarryBeatMeAtTennis
Posted
Posted

Holy Mackerel, 

James it seems that the world has turned sideways on its axis since I first met you virtually through your musings and reporting on Harry's demise in this forum. Stay safe

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, HarryBeatMeAtTennis said:

Holy Mackerel, 

James it seems that the world has turned sideways on its axis since I first met you virtually through your musings and reporting on Harry's demise in this forum. Stay safe

Just another day in the neighborhood on the big island of Mindanao in the land of the never-ending Summer... 

• Like 2

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
Retired judge shot dead in Surigao City
Friday, February 03, 2017
By Pamela Jay F. Orias

A RETIRED judge was shot dead by unidentified gunmen Thursday, February 2, at Borja-Rizal Street, Washington village, Surigao City.

Police Officer 3 Henry Dalit, investigator of the Surigao City Police Office, identified the victim as Victor Amalia Canoy, a retired executive judge of Regional Trial Court, Branch 29. Dalit said Canoy was on his way to buy food at an eatery just across his office at about 11 a.m. Thursday, when motorcycle-riding gunmen shot Canoy in different parts of his body.

Canoy died on the spot. Dalit said the two gunmen, who covered their faces with handkerchiefs to conceal their identity, used a 9 mm. pistol with a silencer. Recovered from the crime scene were three empty shells. Dalit said initially, the motive of the killing could be work-related, given the nature of his job.

"Retired judge siya pero naa siya'y law office gihapon, ug amo gyud nga gituohan nga work-related ang motive sa pagpatay. Sa karon padayon pa gihapon ang investigation (He is a retired judge but he has a law office and we believe that the motive of the killing is work-related. For now, investigation is ongoing)," he said.

Canoy’s family also believes that the motive behind the brutal killing is work-related and they are still in shock as the victim did not mention any problems at work in the past few days. Dalit said that a police officer, who was patrolling near the area, was able to respond and shoot one of the suspects who fled towards Kaskag area, the city's public market. Witnesses said that bloodstains were visible in the Kaskag area, which could possibly be the suspect's.

Canoy, in his working years, has handled capital offenses like rape, homicide and murder cases, among others.

Read more: http://www.sunstar.c...gao-city-523646
Follow us: @sunstaronline on Twitter | SunStar Philippines on Facebook

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Gunman hit again a wound a second member of the Surigao City courts in less than one week..

Surigao prosecutor hurt in gun attack

By Ben Serrano (The Philippine Star) | Updated February 7, 2017 - 12:00am
 0  3 googleplus0  0

BUTUAN CITY, Philippines – A prosecutor was critically wounded in a gun attack in Surigao del Norte yesterday.

Surigao City prosecutor Manuel Tesiorna was initially taken to a private hospital in Surigao City for treatment  then airlifted to the Perpetual Succor Hospital in Cebu City.

A police report said Tesiorna was in front of his house in Barangay Canlanipa when motorcycle-riding men opened fire.

The gun attack came less than a week after Victor Canoy, a former Surigao del Norte regional trial court (RTC) judge, was shot dead also by unidentified motorcycle-riding men.

In September, Bayugan RTC Judge Hector Salise and his police aide were wounded in a gun attack on their way to work in this city.

Ingemar Macarine, board member of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines-Surigao del Norte chapter, condemned the attacks.

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

newsinfo / Regions
Surigao City prosecutor who got death threats, shot, wounded
Inquirer Mindanao / 04:14 PM February 06, 2017
colon-2-bullets-in-crime-scene-lito-tecs

Gun attack (CDN FILE PHOTO/ LITO TECSON)

SURIGAO CITY – A government prosecutor remains in critical condition after he was shot outside his residence in Barangay Canlanipa here Monday morning, according to the police.

City Prosecutor Manuel Tesiorna was washing his car just outside the gate of his house in Canlanipa Homes when a motorcycle-riding gunman shot him four times at around 7 a.m., said Police Officer 3 Johans Castillo, the investigating officer.

Tesiorna, 47, was preparing his car for work when he was shot in the chest, neck and back. The assailant and his companion, who were both wearing masks, fled on board a white Honda XRM motorcycle, police said.

Based on the empty shells recovered from the crime scene, police said the weapon used on Tesiorna was a 9mm pistol.

A passenger motorcycle brought Tesiorna to the Miranda Family Hospital, where doctors said he needed blood transfusion. He was later airlifted to Cebu City for treatment.

Tesiorna’s shooting came four days after retired Regional Trial Court judge Victor Canoy was shot to death by a lone gunman last Thursday while he was buying food at an eatery near his law office along Borja Street. Police still have no lead   to  Canoy’s shooting.

Senior Supt. Anthony Maghari, police chief for Surigao del Norte, said Tesiorna sought and was granted police protection last week after Canoy was killed.

A policeman assigned to the prosecutor was already en route to the victim’s residence when the shooting happened, Maghari said.

Police have been reviewing CCTV footages and interviewing witnesses to identify the assailants, Maghari said.

He said it was unlikely that one group was involved in the Canoy and Tesiorna’s shooting although he declined to elaborate, citing ongoing investigation.  SFM/rga

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/868678/surigao-city-prosecutor-who-got-death-threats-shot-wounded

• 8 months later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well there is movement again in this court case. The judge who previously presided over the case which is presently before the Surigao City criminal court had retired during the trial which placed the proceedings on hold. The judge was assassinated earlier this year which has also perhaps slowed the process of continuance. There has now been a lady judge assigned as a replacement, but she needed time to read over all the court documents without the assistance of the deceased judge.

Wednesday morning I was able to talk to the private Prosecutor, hired by the Doyle sisters, about the progress of the court case. Atty. Casurra is presently the Surigao City Vice-Mayor and his duties and that of his law practice makes it had to get some sit-down time, but I was lucky and caught him at his law office. Just by happenstance he had just returned from the Surigao City criminal courthouse for the scheduling of the hearing dates for the Defense to present their witnesses. Atty. Casurra was to return back to the courthouse to learn of the dates and times once set in their docket. Atty. Casurra told me that the hearing dates should be sequential so that the defense can quickly present his witnesses, as I can only presume that one defense witness will be presented each day so they can give their testimony and be properly cross-examined by prosecution. I have not yet received these new hearing dates, but once I learn of them I will post them here.

On a second note, last week I was contacted through Facebook the actual arresting PNP officer who captured the suspect Jeffery Parian. Jerry Parian is believed to be one of the two hired gunmen who murdered Harry Doyle, and is presently being held without bail in Silop Prison south of Surigao City. It was certainly an interesting conversation as I was finally able to get some first-hand information on both Jeffery Parian and his brother Johnny Parian. I had previously heard that Jeffery Parian had been arrested during a shootout with the PNP during the process of serving the arrest warrant. I had been previously told that at the time of his arrest Jeffery Parian was 9th on the Caraga Ten Most Wanted Criminal list. That both Jeffery and his brother Johnny Parian were part of a gun-for-hire group calling themselves the ‘Three Kings’, as their group primarily comprised of male members from three family groups.

This officer told me that both Jeffery Parian and Johnny Parian are members of a gang of hired killers locally known as the SAIDU Group and that this group is affiliated with the NPA. He said that this SAIDU group engages in extortion activities victimizing business men in the area around Claver, murder-for-hire contracting and hire out as enforcers (goons) for corrupt businessmen and even at least one local politician. He told me that he filed a separate case against Jeffry Parian for ‘Direct Assault’ and ‘Attempted Homicide’ as Jeffery Parian fired shots at him during the arrest. Luckily Jeffery failed to hit him as he was able to quickly maneuver to the rice paddy. The trial in the Municipal Circuit Trial Court, Claver has concluded and he is only waiting for the promulgation of judgement. He still feels that he and his family are in a state of danger from the remnants of their group, especially since he just recently arrested another member of that SAIDU Group. I was again told to avoid attending any upcoming hearing dates due to their predictability and possible reprisals.

I personally know of multiple stalking events involving PNP investigators and prosecution witnesses during the investigation and subsequent trial. And since the recent assassination of the former judge and recent direct threats against Atty. Casurra and myself, I just may be heeding that advice. Or not, as such things just help make life more interesting here in the ‘land of the never-ending summer’.     

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jamesmusslewhite said:

I personally know of multiple stalking events involving PNP investigators and prosecution witnesses during the investigation and subsequent trial. And since the recent assassination of the former judge and recent direct threats against Atty. Casurra and myself, I just may be heeding that advice. Or not, as such things just help make life more interesting here in the ‘land of the never-ending summer’.     

It may be interesting and exciting life, but keep your head down and watch your six Gunny! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1