11 Years In Thailand ...

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gentlemen, I will continue this weekend

Thanks, Andy. Sounds like a good place to visit, not live. All those visa runs would not work for me. You did it for 11 years? Once a year is more then enough.

Yeah I recon I've done 44 visa runs these years, spent 550 hours in vans, 7 passports full of stamps. Cambodia sticker/stamp takes up more than 1 page alone. Couldn't wait to reach retirement age. Although when I finally got there, what did I do? ... moving to the Philippines ... :lol:

I too would like to hear more Andy. I definitely want to visit some day, not sure about living there though. Like Mike I'm sure I would get tired of all the visa runs, but the retirement visa could be an option after turning 50.

Yes, retirement visa is very cheap and easy to get, as long one have 800000 THB.

Edit to my 1st post: 1 year in Thailand with NON O visa, will cost 300 USD, if I remember correct. = Wrong.

When applying I paid 3800THB or 122 USD, just did my 90 days reporting = Free. So 1 year on retirement visa cost 122 USD only :)

• Like 3

oldutot
Posted
Posted

keep it coming Andy, I would to hear more about Thailand. My son's navy ship is on there way to Thailand.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Couldn't wait to reach retirement age. Although when I finally got there, what did I do? ... moving to the Philippines ...

I was having a bad morning, You have just made the rest of my day, I am now sat here, With the biggest smile you can imagine :thumbsup: :as-if: The choice will be be worth it :) we here it all the time. "It's more fun in the Philippines"

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It sounds like Thai visa extensions can be as difficult and expensive as the Philippines. Could it be your citizen and passport? I recall after the tsunami and the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster, the Thai government changed from 90 days to 180 days the visa waiver for Japanese passport holders.

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

It sounds like Thai visa extensions can be as difficult and expensive as the Philippines. Could it be your citizen and passport? I recall after the tsunami and the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster, the Thai government changed from 90 days to 180 days the visa waiver for Japanese passport holders.

Yes if one don't have 800000 THB, it's never ending visa run's ....Unless one get married here.

Could it be my citizenship or passport? No.

Those from 'less wanted nationalities', get only 15 days when arriving by air, while other nationalities get 30 days on arrivals.

Can't compare with Japanese - their governement support the thai economy big time, so they get special treatment.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Very interesting, thanks Andy. You got tangled up with a bad one, no doubt. I don't think allowing her to work was the mistake, it would have happened anyway and the sooner she's gone the better. I understand about the house but why was the car in her name, i assume you paid for it?

Curley
Posted
Posted

What were your ages when you got married and also when you finished?

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very interesting, thanks Andy. You got tangled up with a bad one, no doubt. I don't think allowing her to work was the mistake, it would have happened anyway and the sooner she's gone the better. I understand about the house but why was the car in her name, i assume you paid for it?

Yes I paid for the house and the car. The car was in her name because I was told I couldn't have it in my name.

Remember we are talking about year 2001, before we had Internet forums or expats club. One is a newbie and in love, and located in the middle of nowhere. Any who had a Asian gf/wife with no skills in English might understand the language barrier. Paper and pen / finger language was how we communicated the first years. Thai-English dictionary was limited help, due to the complicated Thai alphabet. Took me 8 years to handle a full conversation. Looking back, I should have consulted a lawyer before investing any money. As they say 'a fool and his money are easily parted'

What were your ages when you got married and also when you finished?

She was 23 year, and I was 39 at the time. We lasted 3 yrs.

Edited by CebuAndy
  • Like 2

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing Andy. I know its not always easy telling the story of getting burned like that....at least not for me. But you live and learn. When I move there I definitely plan on renting at least for the 1st year or so and if I do decide to buy I'm thinking it will be a condo so it can be in my name.

• Like 2