How Much Did You Pay For That?

• Forum Support

I have an item I want to sell. Trouble is, I am too dishonest OR my wife is too honest.

I am asking 35,000 pesos for the 'item'. Whenever someone shows interest, the very first question out of the mouth is "How much did you pay for that?" My first reaction is that it is none of their business and I got a sweet deal on it but should I make mention of that then the buyer immediately expects me to pass on that good fortune.

So the 'item' retailed for 45,000 pesos, last price, cash price one year ago. By good fortune I only paid 40K. So how does one handle it when the buyer asks: How much did you pay for that? Remember that any semblance of impoliteness will ruin a potential sale.

I have tried saying: It was 45,000 a year ago . .etc etc but sooner or later my wife will be introduced to the potential buyer. It is as inevitable as rain. She will say: Don't you remember honey? We got a deal and only paid 40,000 for that. Time and again I have asked her to say nothing and she invariable says: Honey you tell me it is important to you that your wife is honest and then you tell me to not be honest. I just don't understand you.

So, guys, how do you handle that question?

Oh yes .. the item . . . its a motorcycle but that is not the issue unless someone is in the market for a 1 year old Rusi clone of a Yamaha Mio and is willing to offer very close to 35000 pesos. The bike is hardly used and well maintained. I just prefer a Honda Wave to a scooter so if I sell it I will buy a Wave.

• Like 3

I would have replied 'the motorbike retailed for 45,000 pesos, last price, cash price one year ago'.

In that way you aren't lying, but you're avoiding the question somehow.

If I was asked, 'and that's what you paid for it' I would have repeated my reply above, or I would be sc*ewed.

That sc*ewed might be a issue anyway, since I expect a buyer want to see the receipt for the bike. :lol:

As for the sweet wife, well I would have gagged her :hystery: and this assure you won't be sc*ewed tonite

• Like 3

Yes Dave that is a problem and I have no idea why someone should thing it is any of their business .... this guy I used to know at work was the worlds worst .... when I was getting ready to sell my tool boxes and tools the first words out of his mouth was "what did you pay for for them" .... I just turned to him and said "none of your GD business) and turned away ..... he made an offer and I said not interested .... I actual hate people that do this .... so if you paid more than it was worth is he gonna reimburse you the difference ... no ....... sorry Dave I know no nice way to say it ain't none of your business ...... except to just say well that is my price ....

When I bought our SUV I never asked the guy what he paid for it but when I tried to dicker to low he told me but I paid XXXXXX last year so I can't go that low ..... hey if you get a bargain when you buy something I know of no law that says you have to pass it on ..... I 'm afraid I'm a little more blunt that you are .... I won't lie but I will just smile and say what does it matter this is the price I want .... if you're not interested don't let the door hit you in the a*s on the way out ...... (well not really the last part :hystery: :hystery: )

• Like 4

What you are doing is fine Dave. I guess you will just have to find a way to explain to your wife that it doesn't matter what you paid for it - the person who is buying is trying to get you to lower your price below what it is worth and that you will lose money on the sale if they know. The stores in the mall don't tell you what they pay for the things you buy - it's the same thing.

Hmmm.... That bike you want.... Is that anything like a bus? :mocking:

:attention:

• Like 3
  • Forum Support

A good answer would be " the going price is XXXX my price is lower".

I'm not shy would tell em to pound sand.

• Like 3

I found it strange that when Filipinos sell something, they feel they have to state the "reason" they are selling. Its always something like their kid is going away to college, or something like that. The asawa and I look at land and such online, and the first time I saw that, I said what business is it of anyone why they are selling? The wife said that is common in PI. I guess they feel that potential buyers will feel they are trying to get rid of a problem.

I guess they will be asked why they are selling anyways, might as well say it in the ad. :mocking:

• Like 3
  • Forum Support
I found it strange that when Filipinos sell something, they feel they have to state the "reason" they are selling.

There are actually 3 questions a buyer asks here:

How much did you pay for dat?

Why are you selling?

What's your last price?

• Like 2

I got thinking about this one and you know what? If you look at Kijiji or Craigslist, almost every one of them also state why they are selling their car, truck or motorcycle... And I'm talking about Canada and the States! Maybe it's just something we do around here (between Toronto and Buffalo - I didn't look further).

:attention:

• Like 1

If I was fortunate enough to save myself P5k on a product 12 months ago it was probably because I put the effort in to shop around for the best deal, haggled a better price etc. There's absolutely no reason I should pass my effort on to others free of charge. The only things that are relevant when selling today are todays prices and how much you're asking.

• Like 1