Sending Boxes

piglett
Posted
Posted

not sure if this is the rite section (if i'm screwed up please move it mod.)

the wife & i have beed picking up a few things here & there to send to her family in the province for christmas. (we are still in usa)

here is the question, what is the cheep way to do that???

i'm willing to send it in Sept & wait till Dec if needed

i know there are companys that do this but don't know what their called.

we will also be sending a box to the local priest which will contain good used clothes for the kids.

thanks all

piglett

• Like 1

wombatphil
Posted
Posted

Errr, sorry! Off topic... But I just wanted to say, as a newbie here, how cute you look in your little red boots!!!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

the wife & i have beed picking up a few things here & there to send to her family in the province for christmas. (we are still in usa)

we will also be sending a box to the local priest which will contain good used clothes for the kids.

thanks all

piglett

I think you are referring to Balikbayan boxes and there are several threads on this here in the Shipping section. I have 14 ready to send and I am using Forex. You can find an agent on their website.

http://www.forexworld.us/

A lot of members here like Forex but there are others. Google Balikbayan boxes.

• Like 2

Brad616
Posted
Posted

As, a note of caution, on the first boxes my wife sent over nothing was labeled for whom; it was near Christmas. Err so a fight ensued- pseudo knives branished and such. Long story short. Label the items for whom and tie with jute or tape. My 2 cents :thumbsup:

• Like 4

piglett
Posted
Posted

Errr, sorry! Off topic... But I just wanted to say, as a newbie here, how cute you look in your little red boots!!!

well thank you :)))

thanks all

piglett

I think you are referring to Balikbayan boxes and there are several threads on this here in the Shipping section. I have 14 ready to send and I am using Forex. You can find an agent on their website.

http://www.forexworld.us/

A lot of members here like Forex but there are others. Google Balikbayan boxes.

YES that is what i was talking about !!!

Balikbayan boxes

As, a note of caution, on the first boxes my wife sent over nothing was labeled for whom; it was near Christmas. Err so a fight ensued- pseudo knives branished and such. Long story short. Label the items for whom and tie with jute or tape. My 2 cents :thumbsup:

i have heard that they will fight over goodies that show up in a box ...ha ha ha

i let my wife figure out who gets what. also i know there is duty on new things how about used?

i want to send my farther-inlaw some wrenches, maybe i'll just send mine to him & buy some new ones for me here so there is no BS with the customs bandits

thanks all

piglett

luke
Posted
Posted
i have heard that they will fight over goodies that show up in a box ...ha ha ha i let my wife figure out who gets what. also i know there is duty on new things how about used? i want to send my farther-inlaw some wrenches, maybe i'll just send mine to him & buy some new ones for me here so there is no BS with the customs bandits

Originally the Balikbayan box shipment (also called informal shipments) was meant for OFW to send household goods and/or food products to their relatives in the PH (family assistance). However a few years ago, some unscrupulous individuals started to use to system to smuggle high value items into the PH for retail, some even drugs. The customs are thereby ordered to check the content of the boxes (random or all) for illegal items or smuggling.

So far I was never ordered to pay import tax on any new item in the few balikbayan boxes I have received in the past year.

(I think it is a good idea to send your in-laws the used wrenches).

If you sent parcels through the mail system (Philpost or EMS), the normal import duties apply, especially finished garments and electronics. Your asawa may have more luck picking up the package in the post office. She can talk her way out of the dues.... with a little drama act...

Cheers :cheersty:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
However a few years ago, some unscrupulous individuals started to use to system to smuggle high value items into the PH for retail, some even drugs. The customs are thereby ordered to check the content of the boxes (random or all) for illegal items or smuggling.

Philippine Customs are less likely to check a balikbayan box if you are sending only one. If you are sending 10 or 20 boxes to the same address, it's a different story. US Customs also x-rays on a random basis balikbayan boxes for contrabands. That's how they caught a group smuggling guns to the Philippines. The group was caught by Philippine authorities when they received the boxes. They did the same in the United States for the group who sent them.

Edited by JJR

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Philippine Customs are less likely to check a balikbayan box if you are sending only one.

:unsure: To my mind, it is like most things. Where there is a small loop hole, the wire cutters come out and the loophole becomes a growing way of life. I can see in the future maybe, that it will be only the Filipino Spouse that can send these Boxes.People will soon think twice about Smuggling and the like, if they can be held accountable. IMHO :)

:tiphat: Good Morning every one, we had a glorious long Weekend. Too busy in the City, due to the Silliman University Founders day Parade. The Resorts were fairly busy but we found room, for our little gatherings.

• Like 1

piglett
Posted
Posted

hey thanks for your help guys

we are going with LBC because they have a drop off location within 2 hours of here (we live out in the sticks)

i'll give em a call & have them send a couple of their boxes on over.

i know customs has a trick in the PI , they like to rip a corner of the box open & reach a hand in so they can get some free goodies.

i solve that problem by building a plywood box that will just slip into the cardboard box that will be shipped.

take care all

piglett

• Like 3

Brad616
Posted
Posted

Piglett:

I send handtools, and multimeters every box with no problems - every parcel is individually wrapped and tagged ,so no more fights :thumbsup:

• Like 1