Dried Fish ( Yak )

Americano
Posted
Posted

The last few months we had some rats coming into our apartment building so I bought some rat poison and put it on the first floor where they were coming in. Each day we would notice some of the poison was gone but I didn't see any dead rats. Finally one day I was walking down the stairs when I came into the most horrible smell in the world. I thought to myself, a rat has died on the first floor. When I reached the first floor there was my neighbor cooking dried fish.

She had cooked dried fish there previously too and that very well may be what attracted the rats. Rats were made to eat dead rotting things that stink but I can't imagine why any human would think cooking dried fish smells good and would want to eat it. When I smell it I loose my appetite and feel like puking.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted
she expects me to kiss her after eating that tripe

I was waiting for Jake to ask you where you were trying to kiss her....

Bad bob... Bad bob....

:mocking:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ah yes! The smell will remind me of my days living in a fishing village in Nova Scotia!

I still will refuse to let it be cooked inside as well though...

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
she expects me to kiss her after eating that tripe

I was waiting for Jake to ask you where you were trying to kiss her....

Bad bob... Bad bob....

Well, it's about time someone else made off-shoot comments leading to sexual innuendos.

You're the goodest bad boy around Bob! But wait until the Boss Man whacks your pee-pee.

I get that a couple times a month......he, he.

• Like 1

Will
Posted
Posted

The same thing happend to me. I was watching TV one day and the wife wanted to eat her fish, but she said it would stink. So I told her to go ahead and cook it, I wouldn't mind.(How bad could it be, right?) A few minutes later the house was engulfed by the very stench of death itself. I was doing okay, until my eyes started bleeding. :/ So... afterwards I told her no more cooking that inside the house. I've made it a priority to add a dirty kitchen onto the back of the house once we get to PI.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Eat some and the smell is gone. Its the same with Kimchi.

Excellent advise.

I don't know if it is still a common practice, but I remember coastal villages would dry the fish on the national road. Each fisherman had a patch of concrete assigned to them. The same with municipal basketball courts. They were used to dry fish or palay (freshly harvested rice). The stench of dead, rotting fish is incredible. It was the same in American Samoa with the tuna factories.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Actually dried fish doesn't give off much smell. The problem is when they cook it. When I was in Vietnam most people ate dried fish, I even ate some, but I don't remember anyone ever cooking it. Does anyone cook dried fish besides Filipinos?

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Love this topic! Well started and well stated by you all.

I am reminded of the book, it's title is something like...., you know you have married a Filipina when....

This is soooooooo true!

Why oh why do they like frying these dead creatures!!!!!!

What a stink!!!!

It is not the dried fish that stinks, it is the frying of the dried fish that stinks.

Even if you are fortunate enough to have a wet kitchen outside the house, and you have managed to break all the rules and make your wife cook all dried fish, squid, and other dried dead animals and foul outside,....., they march into the house with it on a plate!!! Eat it with their fingers and when there is some left, what do they do with it?

Ha, of course they leave it on a plate and put it in the fridge so everything else in there stinks like FRIED DRIED DEAD FISH.

Save me, this is the only thing, I swear the only thing that my wife and I have fallen out about.

Even when (if you are lucky enough) your wife loves you enough to not cook it when you are at home, you can smell it from about 100 miles from your house when going home! You get that feeling in the pit of your stomach, and you start to have the dry heaves!

You get more dizzy and light headed to closer you get to your house, and you just know even though you are praying that it is one of your neighbors, but no no it can't be that easy..... sure enough, you open your front door and wham it hits you, all your senses are over taken with that over powering putrid smell! Your eyes start to water, your mouth feels dry and you don't want to take another step.

And what do you see in front of you? Your beautiful wife, with a smile on her face like that of a child who has just been caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and she wants to hug you and give you a kiss!!! Run, quick run get out.... that is all I can think of.

Fabreeze, perfume, cologne, Raid, Candles, Smelly socks, not even Baygon can get rid of that smell.

Honestly I have smelt locker rooms, brothels and many other places with a better smell than that stink! Well OK brothels do smell better of course, but you could have a brothel next door to you and it would still not mask the smell of FRIED DRIED DEAD FISH!

It gets into everything, clothes, hair, curtains you name it, it gets in there and never never never leaves.

In regards to dead rats, they were probably there all the time, you just couldn't smell them rotting away because of the smell of

FRIED, DRIED, DEAD FISH

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not all dried fish stinks when fried ..... oh and my asawa doesn't like the smell of some dried fish either so it is not just foreigners that don't like to smell it ..... she buys some that when fried smells just like frying other types of fish ..... but seriously I have not had as bad a experience as most of you have ..... may small a bit bad but comparing it to dead rats is a little much IMHO ..... the two smells are entirely different ...... :mocking: ...... besides once you get past the smell and rap your lips around it ... it ain't half bad ...... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

wombatphil
Posted
Posted

Not all dried fish stinks when fried ..... oh and my asawa doesn't like the smell of some dried fish either so it is not just foreigners that don't like to smell it ..... she buys some that when fried smells just like frying other types of fish ..... but seriously I have not had as bad a experience as most of you have ..... may small a bit bad but comparing it to dead rats is a little much IMHO ..... the two smells are entirely different ...... :mocking: ...... besides once you get past the smell and rap your lips around it ... it ain't half bad ...... :hystery: :hystery:

Yeah right mate!... Just don't come within 50' of this fella if your still breathing, or I might not be afterwards.
  • Like 1