Dried Fish ( Yak )

shiredevon
Posted
Posted

Ahh that old reassuring smell of burnt hair, the Philippines wouldn't be the same without it....

• Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted

well ive banned her from cooking that crap in the house ever again lol why oh why do they eat such crap ,back comes the reply well years ago we did,nt jhave much to eat because they had no money .I guess that puts it all in perspective we in the west are not used to having nothing to eat as we take it for granted .my girl told me she was lucky to have one cup of rice a day as the only meal with 8 brothers and sisters in the family.I noticed her eating some other crap yesterday it was tiny fish in a jar silver in colour in a sort of pickle she shoved it up my snout as she likes to do and thought no way lol.a dollop of that stuff onto her rice and she,s happy lol

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Not all dried fish stinks when fried ..... oh and my asawa doesn't like the smell of some dried fish either so it is not just foreigners that don't like to smell it ..... she buys some that when fried smells just like frying other types of fish ..... but seriously I have not had as bad a experience as most of you have ..... may small a bit bad but comparing it to dead rats is a little much IMHO ..... the two smells are entirely different ...... :mocking: ...... besides once you get past the smell and rap your lips around it ... it ain't half bad ...... :hystery: :hystery:

You truly frighten me! :lol:

• Like 3

Brad616
Posted
Posted

My wife is nice enough to only cook it on nights I am at work . I can still smell it the next morning lingering in the laundry room. Got out some of what I thought was my Mom's barbacue from the freezer. I let it thaw openned the container and WHAMMMO F****** Squid :angry:

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Re the title Dried Fish (Yak) Is Yak the fillipino name or is it yak as in YUK horrible?

• Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

You macho guys sure have dainty noses :hystery: . In my first apartment I shared with my late wife, we had Korean neighbors to the left who had their Kim-chee fried rice for breakfast and Filipino neighbors to the right cooking their dried fish. My wife, bless her heart, was addicted to cooking with hom ha (fermented Chinese shrimp paste -- it's bagoong in the Phils) .. some Asians say that Americans have an offensive odor because they eat too much beef. Life's colorful (and smelly!)

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted

And then of course there is the Indian drying curry issue as well as the cooking of it .... so I have to say that many different cultures have an aroma all their own ..... :hystery:

• Like 3

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

You know I'm sure many cultures have their stinky delights. The smell is just a by product of dish that tastes good. In French Polynesia, their delicacy is called fafaru. It's a liquid made by allowing fish heads I believe to decompose (ferment in non disgusting terminology) in sea water and then straining it. Rock lobster heads are also used and the heads later eaten...for hardcore fans only hehehe. The liquid remaining is called fafaru. This liquid, mixed with coconut cream is copiusly poured over raw pieces of fish and served. Best eaten out side and up wind. I've eaten it and I found it to taste good though not amazing. Just don't smell it. Dried fish pales in comparison as I find it doesn't smell rotten, just a bit nasty. Dried squid also pongs a bit when cooked. Dried fish is added to meals to enhance the flavours there like fried rice and other dishes mostly of chinese origin.

Dried fish is a poor persons food as a little goes a long way when flavouring steamed rice but it is enjoyed by many. Just as a side note, I made a chili oil from scotch bonnets and vegetable oil once when I was working in the atolls of French Polynesia. The chilis would ferment in the oil and flavour it. I made one batch once that was absolutely putrid. I remember an Australian collegue would leave the kitchen room whenever the jar was opened :hystery: . A Japanese collegue on the other hand enjoyed it as much as me.

Edited by Just Fred
  • Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

Re the title Dried Fish (Yak) Is Yak the fillipino name or is it yak as in YUK horrible?

No answer tiger?

• Like 2