American Killed In Store Robbery In Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I wonder if he had of stayed put if the outcome would have been different :(

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Police say robbers at a convenience store in the Philippine capital have shot dead an American executive of an English language training center.

Police say Robert Edward Armstrong was inside the Manila store on Sunday when four robbers ordered the employees and at least three customers into the storage room while they emptied the cash register. Police officer Alonzo Layugan says 45-year-old Armstrong was shot when he tried to dash out of the store.

Layugan said Monday that the wounded American managed to get into his car but one of the robbers shot him again. Armstrong was declared dead at a hospital. His hometown was not immediately known.

Police say the other customers and employees were unharmed. The robbers are still at large.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/2012/09/02/american-killed-store-robbery-philippines/ayKgiK522KqiwwipYnQiBM/story.html

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I wonder if he had of stayed put if the outcome would have been different :(

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Police say robbers at a convenience store in the Philippine capital have shot dead an American executive of an English language training center.

Police say Robert Edward Armstrong was inside the Manila store on Sunday when four robbers ordered the employees and at least three customers into the storage room while they emptied the cash register. Police officer Alonzo Layugan says 45-year-old Armstrong was shot when he tried to dash out of the store.

Layugan said Monday that the wounded American managed to get into his car but one of the robbers shot him again. Armstrong was declared dead at a hospital. His hometown was not immediately known.

Police say the other customers and employees were unharmed. The robbers are still at large.

http://www.boston.co...QiBM/story.html

Sounds like another hit on a foreigner disguised as a robbery.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just on the 7-11 note they are springing up like weeds here in Cebu ..... just about every time we take a new route to go shopping we see one either being built or already in operation ......

About the shooting I suspect if he hadn't tried to run he might have lived .... unless he knew they were out to get him .... but it does seem strange they would follow just him to his car and shoot him again but let all the other Filipinos get locked in a closet unharmed ...... and all this for p20,000 or so another news report claimed .... :angry:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Maybe I would have made a run for it too. Figure he thought they were going to just kill everyone once in the other room anyway?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The more i read these stories, the more I think about the film" the List" I wonder if the police have ever investigated the possibility that these foreigners, were known to each other. If we let our minds wonder a little, could it be possible that we have some sort of foreigner Mafia type thing happening. Toe treading is a sure way to get put on a list, even being part of a wider picture, maybe I read to many crime Novels but I can see some sort of scenario here.

Any thoughts??? :unsure:

JP :tiphat:

TheMason
Posted
Posted

The more i read these stories, the more I think about the film" the List" I wonder if the police have ever investigated the possibility that these foreigners, were known to each other. If we let our minds wonder a little, could it be possible that we have some sort of foreigner Mafia type thing happening. Toe treading is a sure way to get put on a list, even being part of a wider picture, maybe I read to many crime Novels but I can see some sort of scenario here.

Any thoughts??? :unsure:

JP :tiphat:

Well, if there is a 'list' it seems that all you need to do to get on it is to run a successful business. Seems like nothing pisses off a Filipino more than a foreigner being successful in their country.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

If a local Filipino business man were to think a Foreigner owned business was taking from him it could cause a grudge. I don't think Filipinos are jealous for no reason real or imagined.

The same gang robbed two other 7-11's and the police still have their heads up their.......

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It seems to me that the shootings and violence here are modeled after what the 'bad guys' see in movies. Since the 'bad guys' do not kill the customers when they lie on the floor and do not look at them (at least in the movies) then its a reasonable bet to try that if you find yourself in that situation. . . . Unless, of course, you are Steven Seagal.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I see no mention, of Security Guard activity here,do we know, if the Store had security presence?