Crime In The Philippines ( Lots Of It )

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
one thing that irritates the hell out of me is GRAFFITI you spend a lot of money building a house on your lot and build a boundry wall around it ,and some punk comes along and plasters it with graffiti

We still have graffiti in Hawaii, but much less than before. The solution was to get hardware and graphic stores to stop selling aerosol paint cans to anyone below 21 years. Next, they have volunteers with paint and brushes in the trunk of their cars. They will stop and immediately paint over any graffiti with reach. If a ladder is required, you call a hotline and a city crew will take care of it. For large events like APEC,the number of volunteers increase to several thousand.

Tourism is our number one industry and a beautiful environment is part of the charm. When driving our visitors around the island of Oahu, I ask them, "Why does the island look different?" The answer, "No billboards." Our signage laws are so strict you can't have a vending machine with Coca-Cola or other advertisement on it. If you can see the vending machine from a public street, the vending company has to cover the advertisement with an solid color acrylic sheet.

Edited by JJR

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I posted this article a few days ago about the crime rates in Manila.

http://www.philippin...-by-57-percent/

Here in the US they say statistically crime is going down. Problem with the statistic is it goes by the number of people victimized per say 100,000. So if 5 out of 100,000 are victims of crime, then what does that number become when you have a population of 100 Million? As population increases, naturally so does the overall number of victims.

I'm not sure what your point is. Of course the number of crimes will increase with the population. That is why they calculate the crime rate not the actual number of crimes. The story in your link is talking about a 57% increase in reported crimes compared to last year. The NCR population didn't increase 57% in the same period, so its a pretty safe bet that crime is getting worse.

The scariest thing about the crime situation is the policeman's quote in the link you posted. He basically said, 'The criminals are getting smarter, so the police are getting more aggressive.' Note he did NOT say the police were getting smarter, just more aggressive. If the police react to intelligence with aggression, they won't be very successful in reducing crime.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I posted this article a few days ago about the crime rates in Manila.

http://www.philippin...-by-57-percent/

Here in the US they say statistically crime is going down. Problem with the statistic is it goes by the number of people victimized per say 100,000. So if 5 out of 100,000 are victims of crime, then what does that number become when you have a population of 100 Million? As population increases, naturally so does the overall number of victims.

I'm not sure what your point is. Of course the number of crimes will increase with the population. That is why they calculate the crime rate not the actual number of crimes. The story in your link is talking about a 57% increase in reported crimes compared to last year. The NCR population didn't increase 57% in the same period, so its a pretty safe bet that crime is getting worse.

The scariest thing about the crime situation is the policeman's quote in the link you posted. He basically said, 'The criminals are getting smarter, so the police are getting more aggressive.' Note he did NOT say the police were getting smarter, just more aggressive. If the police react to intelligence with aggression, they won't be very successful in reducing crime.

I started off the post by saying "Looks like there is a new way of reporting crime statistics?" My overall point of the post was what you had just said about the policeman's quote.

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

I believe it was Mark Twain who said " There are 3 kinds of lies, lies, damn lies and statistics"

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Crime is everyware it depends on the area in the Philipines, in Davao a lot of small crimes, not as much drugs or murders as before unless your a drug dealer and the well known Davao Death Squad takes care of a lot of them, the Mayor is a big supporter of the Police, at the last festival there was a gun ban and it was strictley inforced, three of those charged were security guards, two police chiefs have been fired in the last month and replaced, i live in a family compound so if there is any crime it is one of your family, any stranger entering is run off or watched close, we have signs posted. I think the actions by our mayor in Davao City is one reason it is considered the safest city in the Philippines

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 break in and 1 attempted break in at my little sari store .I don,t have much high value stuff in it but it seems philippino,s are willing to risk serious jail time for very little reward .

Reduce the risk? try to improve the security of the unit. as you have put bottles near where they would enter, thats a good start

try to think of what else you can do to make it safer , As you said they will steal anything , do you have an old electric appliance?

he he, just do some simple rewiring, when the "thief" uses it it will be "SHOCKED"..

any old or outdated food? use that as BAIT. i would suggest more.... but .. the forum has rules and in some areas any other ideals are considered very illgeal.(cough cough) if all else fails.

last one is TRY GARLIC

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 3

Beachboy
Posted
Posted (edited)
There are 3 kinds of lies, lies, damn lies and statistics"

Agreed! One of my favorite books in college was titled "How to Lie with Statistics". So how about some statistics (haha)!

Seriously, I've wondered about crime in the Phils for some time -- it could be a game-changer for me. But it does seem like it depends on the location (true of everywhere).

Buried in the US State Department website (http://travel.state....th2=12&start=25) is a page which lists "Deaths of US Citizens Abroad from Non-Natural Causes". Non-natural causes are Homicide, Suicide, Vehicle, and Other. Deaths are listed by Country/Location in Country/Date/and Type.

So how about the Phils? First, there are some huge asterisks that need to be mention. (1) These are only deaths reported to the embassy. But I think you can assume that all (or at least most all) homicides are reported. Other deaths might not be. (2) There are over 300,000 American citizens in the Phils -- the great majority being Fil-Ams. But I assume most people on this list are ex-patriot Americans, although I have no proof of that.

Anyway, this is what I found for the years 2010, 2011, and 2012 through June 10

Total Homicides: 29 (14 in 2010, 13 in 2011, and 4 in 2012.

Vehicle/Other Deaths: 39 (23 in 2010, 10 in 2011, and 6 in 2012)

Suicides: 10 (2 in 2010, 5 in 2011, and 3 in 2012)

Homicides by Location for the years 2010, 2011 and 2012 through June 10

Angeles City/Pampanga: 6

Zambalas: 3

Cavite - Tagatay, Cebu, Batangas, Palawan, Bulacan: 2 in each location

Bataan, Davao, Makati, Surigao del Sur, Laguna, Ilocos Norte, Cabantuan, Iloilo, Benguet, Iligan: 1 in each location.

What does it mean? Lots of different spins you can put on the numbers (lies, damn lies and statistics!) (1) you are more likely to be killed in a car accident than murdered -- true in most countries. (2) Stay out of Angeles City?? Papa Carl! What's happening in your neighborhood? (3) The murder rate of ex patriots is very high. This list is only Americans. I know several Australians have been murdered (mining company execs) and at least 1 Canadian. Phils BI lists 65,000 foreigners in the country. So a rate of 15 per year is over 20/100,000. (4) Terrorists are not a threat. (Perhaps because expats avoid the terrorists areas)

What you conclude from the numbers is up to you. I haven't made up my mind. What about Thailand? you ask. About the same number of deaths in the 2010-2012 period, but only 4 homicides. I could not find the total foreign population living in Thailand, but I remember reading there were about 65,000 in Chiang Mei. Thailand is saver. Phils more friendly, IMOH.

Edited by Beachboy
  • Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

I visited Manila and Angeles on my short first trip to Luzon, Angeles for a couple of weeks and Manila (including Antipolo Rizal) for five weeks. In Pampanga, I stayed in the Mabalacat, Dau and near Fields Ave and I found the atmosphere quite relaxed. I walked everywhere and never felt that "What the f@#$ am I doing here" sensation. In Manila, I stayed for a month in Ermita in an area that has quite a number of tourist hotels. In that month my wallet was stolen in the neighbouring area Quiapo which is probably a normal event for that area. It was where the College of my previous GF was and also the connection point for the train at Recto Station so we did have reason to be there. The most worrying was a gold chain snatch right next to Rizal Park while I was out for a stroll towards the park. My chain was very fine and delicate and I forgot it was even there. A team of two guys, one on a bike and the snatcher worked in an area looked after by the tourist police. I felt the chain get ripped off my neck and turned around to see a guy running to his mate on a motorbike along Taft Ave. I didn't bother chasing, didn't want to bring firearms into the picture. I eventually found the tourist police station, four police joking and laughing drinking coffee. I didn't bother reporting as I'm sure my temper at their slackness would have gotten me in trouble. My initiation into the seedier side of RP

At least I know not to have a wallet, smart phone or jewelery for my next foray into RP. Fun in the Philippines read Fear and Loathing :as-if:

Edited by Kuya Fred
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So to statistics. you quote 300.00 Us citizens in the PI but only 65.000 Foreigners on the BI list do you meant over 200.000+ are not known to the BI

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Actually Beachboy, those numbers don't surprise me. I spend most of my time when there in Butuan City. I seldom hear of crime. I have never heard of a serious crime

against expats, only some petty crimes of opportunity such as petty theift. That's not to say it dosen't occur, but I don't hear of it, and of course I am only there on a part time basis.

Also, I have been reading some of the post about begging which I never see in Butuan. There is a large expat community in Butuan and all I have spoken to seem to be quite

pleased. It might be a place for you to check out sometime. We are usually there in the winter [u.S. winter] time and would love to show you around if you decide to check it out.