Crime In The Philippines ( Lots Of It )

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hate thieves, but cutting off a hand seems very horrible punishment to me. Have you ever accidentally hit your thumb when using a hammer? Maybe two or three good whacks to each thumb would discourage most thieves from stealing again. A machine could be made for the hands to be placed in and the judge could determine which setting to use, from a mild bruise to blood squirting out of the thumb. At least the thief would be out of business for a few days.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Thomas
Posted
Posted
Total Homicides: 29 (14 in 2010, 13 in 2011, and 4 in 2012.

Accordning to what I have heared, at least 3 of them during 2012 (but 1-2 of them after June where your statistic stoped counting) were involved in high interest loan or sex bars businesses.

One other carried very much money (I believe without gards) and was killed during robbery.

So occupation and handling seem to be a big factor of the risk to become murdered.

Much different with thiefts, I believe having something worth taken can be target reason enough :)

One Filipina, who know I want to live with no neighbours, said when we talked about risks:

"It's no thieft risk to live with no neighbours - if you are one of the very poor having to live there."

So she didn't recomend living as I want :hystery:

But she said she believe no attack risk if not act stupid. (She is from Surigao del Sur.)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I realized recently that I have been living in denial about violence and crime in the Philippines. I was in the camp that said: That kind of thing goes on all over the world. That was until I opened my mind and asked myself how much crime and violence has occurred within a stone's throw of my person while living in the Philippines for 5 years and compare that to the same statistic while living in quite a variety of other places for the previous 50 years.

If you are including everything from breakins to drunks running over old ladies on bicycles, to filipinos shooting filipinos, to deaths from auto accidents due to not following the road laws, to women murdering their husbands and getting away with it, to a man bringing home a gay lover and getting stabbed 20 plus times and surviving, the the Philippines is the most violet, crime ridden place that I have lived in. But I enjoy being in denial and making excuses for every one of those occurrences I want to believe, and thus do believe, that I will be ok provided I keep a low profile, watch out for crazy or drunken drivers, stay away from the criminal element and trust to my higher power. Its worked so far.

Your experiences may vary. These are just things that happen near me. Don't live near me :cheersty: and you will be fine. These things happened in the city as well as in the province and they become so common place that I have undoubtedly forgotten to add some. And yet, I'm still ok and I am sure most of the people reading this will be ok should they move to the Philippines . . . most of you . . . so be sure your affairs are in order before you make the move. :mocking:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Dave, I too can understand how you feel.... I believe that I myself may attract crime too!

In my neighbourhood this year alone has been 1 murder in the alley behind my apartment (it's a house renovated into 5 apartments), 3 near fatal beatings and 7 fights with police responding. Out front on the street has been 3 hit-and-run accidents and several brawls. Within 15 minutes of walking there have been 3 murders, several stabbings, drive-by shootings, numerous muggings and so on. Should I mention that the street I live on is populated by several doctors, 2 lawyers, a couple other executives and a crack house or two? hehe! But wait! I'm still in Canada! Hopefully it won't be so bad once I move to Cebu!! So, Dave, I don't think you are in denial, it's just getting worse no matter where you are!

:mocking:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I still think it is a lot Safer, out of the big cities though, here in Dumaguete we have had 3 shootings in as many weeks, Thankfully, all Drug Dealer related.

Most of the crimes against Foreigners, seem to happen in expat Concentrated Areas. Whilst I enjoy the company of Expats we felt happier to live amongst Locals. Some will say, that could, make you a target. Not to my mind, Gossip would soon bring Forward a Guilty thief. :) Thieves, love to Brag about their last heist, :unsure: and where they will strike next or soon.

as Bob said, crime is on the Increase everywhere. It will continue to, as long as the Rich, get richer and the poor stay poor. IMHO

:tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

on a plus note even your garbage gets stolen here lol we put our trash into empty rice sacks if we leave them outside they go walkees during the night .the ghost recyclers as i call them lol .At least the law allows you to kill anybody on your property stealing from you but to be safe make sure your lady pulls the trigger.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Just a comparation:

A TV program about police work in USA told it's a murder in New Orleans each second day.