Some Questions Regarding Getting Married For Aussie/kiwi?

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I'm a little confused with the CENOMAR= CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE ?

My fiancee found a web page earlier that states it is not vital to have this for us both (we have both definitely never been married). can someone verify it?

Also, can we start the other processes like getting the document from my embassy to declare I'm not married or have been in the past or should we do the other steps first?

I also have NZ & Aussie citizenship & passports, would it be easier to get my fiancee a visa through NZ even though I have not lived there for nearly 10 years?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

From what I have read about getting married, the Philippine government has made it a requirement now for your gf to have a CENOMAR. Not too long ago, it wasn't always required but now it seems you can't get the marriage license without it. The easiest way to verify this is to contact your closest NSO office though I will let you know up front that a PDF file NSO has online states she does need it for the licence. Now comes the twist - you can get married without a Marriage Licence! But most of these ways still need to have both of you verify that you are not married - hence the CENOMAR for her and the CNI for you.

As for you? You had to have dual, didn't you! Hehe! There is conflicting information on whether you will need a Certificate of No Marriage from New Zealand, Australia or both! I would check with the NSO office you will be dealing with to see what they say. Get it in writing and if they try to say different later, well... You could also ask your embassies (both or either of them) for what they have for information regarding this thought that won't help if the NSO office says different. Afterall, the CNI is for the marriage licence - after that, it's all gravy!

Hmmm... One thing I just thought of.... You were born in NZ and your Birth Certificate is from NZ.... Which passport did you use to enter the Philippines? If you said NZ, then you could probably just get the CNI from there as well! But confirm with the NSO office before you accept this as gospel!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You will need to have your CNI drawn up on the passport you entered on, this is checked to see the first date of Entry to the PI all your dealings with all departments will require proof of First entry. You only need 1 CNI. It Has to be done with the Embassy of the Passport you used. I would add further, that you cant do a thing anywhere, until you have your CNI and your Lady has both her NSO Cenomar and NSO Birth Certificate. just a little Hint here, you can look at a minimum of 40+ days to get married in the PI. I will be happy to give you more details . if you prefer, PM me and I will talk you through it. The Red tape here is Blood red, so i hope all goes well.

Don't Worry! beHappy :thumbsup:

:tiphat:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Jack, I believe you are correct in that Adventurer only needs the CNI from the passport he arrived on.

The issue I was thinking about was a friend of mine who was Canadian but now lives in the States. Because his Birth Certificate was Canadian and he came in on a US Visa, he told me that NSO wanted him to provide proof from both countries. He wasn't happy with the way things were going as well as the fact that she was from a not so great area in the south which meant that his family could not attend without worrying about the rebels. So he ended up bringing her and her parents to Canada and got married there with his family also present. That opened up another can of worms for them trying to get her into the US after. It was because of the issues he went through that I did a little research on this a while ago and found the conflicting information out there.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

make sure you check out her NSO or birth certificate. make sure it has NO ERRORS, or you will be spending alot of time & money trying to get it "FIXXED"

read post # 8

here is part of his post( a teaser of sorts)

Her NSO birth certificate was and is unreadable. It looked like they had copied 5 other documents on it at the same time. some upside down some sideways. As well as there is no first name.

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 2

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

You've heard of Doctors Without Borders ... why can't there be Marriage Without Borders. Why must it be so #$%!*&% difficult?

Beachboy
Posted
Posted (edited)

By all means read Bubba's link. I've copied all the comments for future reference. I'm not an expert (only been reading these posts for two months) but I'd first make sure your fiancée's NSO birth certificate is clean, readable and correct. Everything seems to flow from that document.

Here is some of my research (if case you have found these links already)

(1) For those nights when you have insomnia: The Family Code of the Philippines is here: http://www.familymat... with links.htm (seriously it's good to read it)

(2) NSO has a website/help center http://www.teleserv.ph/

(3) As Bob alluded to, if you've lived with your fiancée for 5 years, a marriage license is not required.

(4) There is a lot of old info on the web -- I would check with NSO rather than relying on the internet.

(5) Count your lucky stars you're not American -- we can't get even get a true CNI because we don't have a National Marriage Bureau and no one is going to check the 50 states and 16 territories to see if we are still married. We only get a "Affidavit In Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry" -- which apparently is not accepted in Makati City, Quezon City, Davao City.(LOL) Oh, well .. there are 7000 islands in the Phils. I guess I can find one to be married on. :bash:

BTW: what exactly is a NZ/Aussi dual citizen called? A Kiwizzi? :hystery: Seriously: congratulations on the upcoming marriage .. post some pics.

Edited by Beachboy
  • Like 4

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

hey thanks a lot guys for the info. I will be bookmarking this page and using it as a guide.

Some points to clarify:

I was born in Aussie but one parent of mine was from NZ and we lived in NZ most of my life until 10 years ago when I moved back to Aussie although I have spent a lot of time in Philippines for last 5 years as well. I got a NZ citizenship certificate and passport before I left NZ 10 years ago. I also have Aussie passport which is the one I use for everything like travelling to the Philippines etc. I pay tax in Aussie for my Internet business....

My fiancee is 22, no parents, only older siblings and we both have never been married or have children. We have been having a r/ship since start of 2012 but lived together for 3 months now.

I have very little savings or income but I do have a property in Aussie and a new car, I think I need to go back to Aussie alone and get a good job and save so immigration will be happy. That is where I thought NZ might be easier but from what I read it seems a similar process and similar fees.

Our plan is to get married here and then we will go back to Aussie and work for a few years, saving etc, Maybe come back and buy land and create a resort? I think the problen is I will have to go back alone and wait maybe a year or more before she is granted a visa which will be hard on us...

I think I'm a KiwiAus :) but I try to speak with a neutral voice and no I don't like rugby that much anymore or football lol.

I will make sure my fiancee has clean documents etc, she has them all here.

keep in mind I'm the one pushing for the visa etc, she is quiet and not caring about all this but will follow me.

Edited by Adventurer

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

hey thanks a lot guys for the info. I will be bookmarking this page and using it as a guide.

Some points to clarify:

I was born in Aussie but one parent of mine was from NZ and we lived in NZ most of my life until 10 years ago when I moved back to Aussie although I have spent a lot of time in Philippines for last 5 years as well. I got a NZ citizenship certificate and passport before I left NZ 10 years ago. I also have Aussie passport which is the one I use for everything like travelling to the Philippines etc. I pay tax in Aussie for my Internet business....

My fiancee is 22, no parents, only older siblings and we both have never been married or have children. We have been having a r/ship since start of 2012 but lived together for 3 months now.

I have very little savings or income but I do have a property in Aussie and a new car, I think I need to go back to Aussie alone and get a good job and save so immigration will be happy. That is where I thought NZ might be easier but from what I read it seems a similar process and similar fees.

Our plan is to get married here and then we will go back to Aussie and work for a few years, saving etc, Maybe come back and buy land and create a resort? I think the problen is I will have to go back alone and wait maybe a year or more before she is granted a visa which will be hard on us...

I think I'm a KiwiAus :) but I try to speak with a neutral voice and no I don't like rugby that much anymore or football lol.

I will make sure my fiancee has clean documents etc, she has them all here.

keep in mind I'm the one pushing for the visa etc, she is quiet and not caring about all this but will follow me.

If she is very quiet about going with you it may be she's not sure she wants to go but wants to please you. This can be a recipe for home sickness. Remember, many Filipinas can't function away from their families. Be careful. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 2

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

Hi mate,

We do a few weddings every year so have pretty much first hand experience. You might like to check out the legal requirements at this page on our web site - Not at this address /planning-a-marriage-in-cebu.php

I got my CNI about 4 years ago at the Oz Embassy and it cost me around 3500p and took about 30 minutes. You can also do it by mail.

• Like 2