Meeting Her And Her Family For The First Time

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Next week I will be visiting the philippines to meet my online girlfriend for the first time and meet her family.

This will be my third visit to the Philippines in the last year but the first time to meet a girls family.

It seems to be a good family, the father has a small business, the older children have all attended college.

My girlfriend has an older sister who married a brit and currently lives in the UK so meeting the foreigner

isn't new to them.

They live in a provincial capital, a city of 100,000, and I will be staying in a hotel.

She still lives at home with the family and the first evening will cook dinner for me and her family.

Then spend time getting to know her parents better.

After a few days, if all goes well, my girlfriend will accompany me to areas I want to check out for retirement.

Any suggestions or advice to help this go smoothly?

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Next week I will be visiting the philippines to meet my online girlfriend for the first time and meet her family.

Hmmm.....hope you don't suffer from any anxiety attack -- I know I would....he, he. Meeting your GF

and her family for the first time can be stressful enough. Expect a chaperon or two -- it's their way

of scoping you out. Being out in the province, may I suggest that you remain flexible with your time.

You know the drill -- Filipino time and having them show you off. Put on your happy face and happy

feet.

Bring lots of chocolate and old magazines. You will have friends (body guards) forever......

Best of luck sir -- Jake

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

This will be my third visit to the Philippines in the last year but the first time to meet a girls family.

It seems to be a good family, the father has a small business, the older children have all attended college.

My girlfriend has an older sister who married a brit and currently lives in the UK so meeting the foreigner

isn't new to them.

They live in a provincial capital, a city of 100,000, and I will be staying in a hotel.

She still lives at home with the family and the first evening will cook dinner for me and her family.

After a few days, if all goes well, my girlfriend will accompany me to areas I want to check out for retirement.

If it was me I would ask for a day or two to get over the jetlag before having a dinner and meeting the family.

• Like 2

7kmilesaway
Posted
Posted

isn't new to them.

You almost have the same plan as what's my bf had been planning (actually our plan), :thumbsup: Goodluck with your upcoming visit to your gf's place. I do hope everything will turn out good. :)

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I agree with Jake - lots of chocolates for everybody! A friend of mine here in Canada was in the same situation (a provincial family) and who brought a couple large bags of Hershey Kisses with him... Put them into little red and whilte "Canada" gift boxes he brought with him and gave them to all the women and children in the family on their first meeting. For the men he brought a large (but not enough to get drunk on) bottle of Rum from Barbados to share while he was there... Mom and dad got something special as well... Mom got a box of the "better" chocolates from home (President's Choice is a house brand for a national Canadian grocer... hehe) and Dad got his own small bottle of Canadian Club to be put into his private stock. He also brought a bouquet of flowers for mom and his girlfriend. He told me that by the time dinner was started, he knew he was in trouble... Mom and dad were already talking about how nice a wedding would be!

Curley brought up a very good point as well. If this is going to be your first night in town, you will have to do something to help with the jetlag... My favourite was to enjoy a cold pill or two about 9 to 10 hours before arrival time. These cold pills were the kind that advertise that you will be sleeping like a baby! Why not a sleeping pill? You don't want to be knocked out completely on a flight plus it's hard to bring them through to board an aircraft in some places. Cold pills in their original package usually are no problem. Plus if you get an aisle seat, you will be able to wake up and let people by, you can wake for meals (seat backs up), you will be aware of any emergencies and you won't have to worry about waking up after you pee your pants.

• Like 3

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

Make sure you are well groomed – well presented. No need for make up or funeral clothes :mocking: :hystery: But NO flip-flops, sleeveless shirts or shorts. Trousers and long/short sleeve shirt is de rigueur. And bring small presents for the family – nothing outlandish!

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted
If it was me I would ask for a day or two to get over the jetlag before having a dinner and meeting the family.

I have a hard time sleeping when flying. I will arrive at 9PM after 24 hours of traveling and already have a hotel room booked close to NAIA for that night. The next morning I get on the bus for the 6-8 hour bus ride to the province. So I will have almost a day to get over jet lag. I may try 'I am Bob's suggestion of taking some medication that induces drowsiness during the long flight over the pacific.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have a hard time sleeping when flying. I will arrive at 9PM after 24 hours of traveling and already have a hotel room booked close to NAIA for that night. The next morning I get on the bus for the 6-8 hour bus ride to the province. So I will have almost a day to get over jet lag. I may try 'I am Bob's suggestion of taking some medication that induces drowsiness during the long flight over the pacific.

When I was first making my travel plans my gf suggested that her family could rent a van and all drive to Manila to meet me at NAIA. Due to needing time to adjust from jet lag and the expense for renting the van I was able to convince her that it would be better to stay the night in hotel and take a bus the next day to meet them where they live.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

When I was first making my travel plans my gf suggested that her family could rent a van and all drive to Manila to meet me at NAIA. Due to needing time to adjust from jet lag and the expense for renting the van I was able to convince her that it would be better to stay the night in hotel and take a bus the next day to meet them where they live.

WOW, one day to recover from jetlag and then a long bus journey.... you are a brave man, I hope you're not a big fella, my only trip on a Philippines bus was murder in their tiny seats. I never used to suffer from jetlag but now it takes me a few days to recover fully.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
WOW, one day to recover from jetlag and then a long bus journey.... you are a brave man, I hope you're not a big fella, my only trip on a Philippines bus was murder in their tiny seats. I never used to suffer from jetlag but now it takes me a few days to recover fully.

On my previous two visits one nights solid sleep seemed to do the trick. Regarding the bus trip, in part your comfort level depends on the bus line. Some are pretty nice with aircon, CR, wi-fi and movies. Of course the nicer the bus the more the fare. At almost 6 feet tall my legs can be a bit cramped on the bus... but in the other dimension I am a skinny guy. Filipina's I have met always want me to eat more and gain some fat.

• Like 3