Meeting Her And Her Family For The First Time

Beachboy
Posted
Posted (edited)
medication that induces drowsiness

Might be a good idea to try this out before you leave. The pills knock me out like a light and leave me groggy the next day. Might not have the same affect on you, but it's good to know. If you fall asleep at the dinner table, I'm sure it will be talked about for years to come! There are some comments on sleep medication and jet leg here: (http://www.nojetlag.com/jetlag3.html)

Good luck ... don't take the "inquisition" too seriously .. have some fun .. send postcards.

Edited by Beachboy
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

While making preparations for my visit to the Philippines I called my credit card company to authorize foreign transactions during my visit. I ended up being helped by a Filipino in a call center for my credit card company in the Philippines! He was very friendly and encouraged me to bring my camera to take pictures of the beautiful Philippines.

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yahoooo@earthdome....you are on your way to an excellent start by the sounds of things...just some observations I have acquired in using PI bus transport on my trips there:

When you are arranging for your bus trip, look for a modern, air conditioned bus - many of the buses have signs in their front windows that give an idea to what direction they are heading. There will be lots of folks to help you out if you need it.

It was recommended to me by my wife that going to the terminal of one of the major bus companies was the best way to get situated. It was only +/-100 pesos taxi ride (white taxi) or so from NAIA to the bus company we ended up riding.

You can check out where to sit on the bus that you ride on to see what position would be best. Being 6 foot plus you have limited good choices (at 6'9" myself I discovered this early on). There is always the back of the best - middle of the back seat option where you can sit and stretch out your legs. I don't like this spot as you are in the middle seat, lots of people climbing over you on the journey and as you probably remember from school bus rides of past, you get the full effect of the bumps.

I usually sat in the regular seats somewhere in the middle - and used both positions. My wife would give up her leg room so as to keep me cool, calm and collected (hehe). As you are traveling solo for this leg of your journey you might sit your carryon in the seat next to you to make it appear "taken". If you do this remember to somehow guard your bag during the journey so it does not mysterously "float" way somehow.

Each bus has a conductor who collects the money for the trip. He is expert at using the little hole punch thingy which you will witness...clicking his way around your ticket until he hands it to you. You will have to look close as it is sometimes hard to figure out all of the little holes etc but if you are ot sure what your fare is, just ask. Cash only as you might imagine.

Along the way you can observe the conductor and the other folks that get on and off the bus....don't be alarmed if you see vendors getting on and off the bus at various spots along the way....they will temp you with items such as apples, roasted peanuts, fired pork rinds and not to mention balut...best if you pass on these with a simple "hindi salamat". The conductor is also the bus' marketing and advertising point person and you will witness his efforts several times, especially in the bigger cities etc. The door will open and he will announce and call out the names of places the bus will be going or passing by.

You will have opportunities to step off the bus from time to time during organized rest stops at which point you should avail yourself to the CR. It's a good idea to carry coins with you and have a small amount of folding money as you may need it for the CR and bottle water etc along the way.

Many of the buses have curtains to use to block out the sunlight etc and as mentioned in another comment, there is video screen(s) and a sound system to enjoy (or not).

I have to admit I have enjoyed most of my intermodal bus journeys and found them to be most educational for me.

I am looking forward to the report back~~~Best of Luck~~~

Edited by MikeB
Removed bad link
  • Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yahoooo@earthdome....you are on your way to an excellent start by the sounds of things...just some observations I have acquired in using PI bus transport on my trips there:

When you are arranging for your bus trip, look for a modern, air conditioned bus - many of the buses have signs in their front windows that give an idea to what direction they are heading. There will be lots of folks to help you out if you need it.

It was recommended to me by my wife that going to the terminal of one of the major bus companies was the best way to get situated. It was only +/-100 pesos taxi ride (white taxi) or so from NAIA to the bus company we ended up riding.

You can check out where to sit on the bus that you ride on to see what position would be best. Being 6 foot plus you have limited good choices (at 6'9" myself I discovered this early on). There is always the back of the best - middle of the back seat option where you can sit and stretch out your legs. I don't like this spot as you are in the middle seat, lots of people climbing over you on the journey and as you probably remember from school bus rides of past, you get the full effect of the bumps.

I usually sat in the regular seats somewhere in the middle - and used both positions. My wife would give up her leg room so as to keep me cool, calm and collected (hehe). As you are traveling solo for this leg of your journey you might sit your carryon in the seat next to you to make it appear "taken". If you do this remember to somehow guard your bag during the journey so it does not mysterously "float" way somehow.

Each bus has a conductor who collects the money for the trip. He is expert at using the little hole punch thingy which you will witness...clicking his way around your ticket until he hands it to you. You will have to look close as it is sometimes hard to figure out all of the little holes etc but if you are ot sure what your fare is, just ask. Cash only as you might imagine.

Along the way you can observe the conductor and the other folks that get on and off the bus....don't be alarmed if you see vendors getting on and off the bus at various spots along the way....they will temp you with items such as apples, roasted peanuts, fired pork rinds and not to mention balut...best if you pass on these with a simple "hindi salamat". The conductor is also the bus' marketing and advertising point person and you will witness his efforts several times, especially in the bigger cities etc. The door will open and he will announce and call out the names of places the bus will be going or passing by.

You will have opportunities to step off the bus from time to time during organized rest stops at which point you should avail yourself to the CR. It's a good idea to carry coins with you and have a small amount of folding money as you may need it for the CR and bottle water etc along the way.

Many of the buses have curtains to use to block out the sunlight etc and as mentioned in another comment, there is video screen(s) and a sound system to enjoy (or not).

I have to admit I have enjoyed most of my intermodal bus journeys and found them to be most educational for me.

I am looking forward to the report back~~~Best of Luck~~~

Thank you for all the tips for riding the bus. My last trip I rode an aircon bus (Victory Liner) from Manila to Baguio and back and experienced many of the things your related. I kind of liked the Chicharron (fluffy pork rinds) with hot vinegar sauce to dip in. On the way back I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast before I left so I had some roadside food at the first bus stop on the way back. That night I was well... very loose you might say. It really cleaned me out. Though I felt fine otherwise.

Edited by MikeB
  • Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

My girl & family meeting was just this past April. We started with a plan similar to what you plan without the bus ride as my girl's family lives just 45 min from the Cebu airport. Everything went GREAT for me as I'm sure it will for you.

I agree with everything put out here as this is an ART PROJECT and not an EXACT SCIENCE. The only reservation I would have is someone said, "hand over a few hundred pesos to each of the poor family members who make the trek to visit the great foriegner." I wouldn't do that one. In my opinion it would set an expectation of handing out cash that I would not like to have to reverse later. I went more for I'll pay for the food and drinks for everyone so we can have a good time! That went very well.

We were supposed to go to her families house for early afternoon lunch when I arrived (PLAN). The UNCLEs had better ideas and of course my girl isn't going to tell them what to do so the whole plan went out the window. I SAW THIS COMING SO I MADE IT VERY CLEAR TO HER BEFORE MY ARRIVAL THAT NO MATTER THE PLAN SHE WAS IN CHARGE OF THE ARRANGEMENTS IN THE END - YOUR COUNTRY, YOU'RE IN CHARGE. INSTEAD they took me to where I would be staying at a relatives empty place and they cooked and had a bit of a welcome party there... So the plan of early afternoon meeting and eating... then disappear with jet-lag changed to EVENING meal and party where I stayed so deal with them and jet-lag until??? Whenever! About 9:00pm - after a great meeting - I just told my girl I was going to disappear soon because I was getting tired and EVERYONE magically disappeared a few minutes later. :dance: Lucky for me jet-lag was minimal because I had spent an overnight at Hong Kong Airport.

My point in relating all this is to remain flexible and the rest of what Dave Hounddriver said:

If you are prepared to pay for a pig and all the rest of the meal. If you are prepared to buy beer or Emperador for all the men and softdrinks for the women and children. DELETED CASH GIVING STATEMENT :thumbsup: If you are prepared to sing a little karaoke and dance a bit with the GUYS. If you can do all this and where a smile and mean it. Then you be DA MAN, the son-in-law

BEST OF LUCK :999: I recently got the "BEST FOREIGNER" acknowledgement from the family for singing karaoke and dancing and carrying on in a drunk manner with the guys. :chickendance: I'm hoping that is GOOD!

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My girl & family meeting was just this past April. We started with a plan similar to what you plan without the bus ride as my girl's family lives just 45 min from the Cebu airport. Everything went GREAT for me as I'm sure it will for you.

I agree with everything put out here as this is an ART PROJECT and not an EXACT SCIENCE. The only reservation I would have is someone said, "hand over a few hundred pesos to each of the poor family members who make the trek to visit the great foriegner." I wouldn't do that one. In my opinion it would set an expectation of handing out cash that I would not like to have to reverse later. I went more for I'll pay for the food and drinks for everyone so we can have a good time! That went very well.

We were supposed to go to her families house for early afternoon lunch when I arrived (PLAN). The UNCLEs had better ideas and of course my girl isn't going to tell them what to do so the whole plan went out the window. I SAW THIS COMING SO I MADE IT VERY CLEAR TO HER BEFORE MY ARRIVAL THAT NO MATTER THE PLAN SHE WAS IN CHARGE OF THE ARRANGEMENTS IN THE END - YOUR COUNTRY, YOU'RE IN CHARGE. INSTEAD they took me to where I would be staying at a relatives empty place and they cooked and had a bit of a welcome party there... So the plan of early afternoon meeting and eating... then disappear with jet-lag changed to EVENING meal and party where I stayed so deal with them and jet-lag until??? Whenever! About 9:00pm - after a great meeting - I just told my girl I was going to disappear soon because I was getting tired and EVERYONE magically disappeared a few minutes later. :dance: Lucky for me jet-lag was minimal because I had spent an overnight at Hong Kong Airport.

My point in relating all this is to remain flexible and the rest of what Dave Hounddriver said:

If you are prepared to pay for a pig and all the rest of the meal. If you are prepared to buy beer or Emperador for all the men and softdrinks for the women and children. DELETED CASH GIVING STATEMENT :thumbsup: If you are prepared to sing a little karaoke and dance a bit with the GUYS. If you can do all this and where a smile and mean it. Then you be DA MAN, the son-in-law

BEST OF LUCK :999: I recently got the "BEST FOREIGNER" acknowledgement from the family for singing karaoke and dancing and carrying on in a drunk manner with the guys. :chickendance: I'm hoping that is GOOD!

Thank you for relating your experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Thomas
Posted
Posted

Oh! I thought they wouldn't like melted chockolate :)

(Myself I only buy and eat chockolate during the cold season here, after I got worms in a chockolate bar in a summer.)

Yes, best of luck!

Agree avoid to pay any money, but give enough things/food to not seem stingy. (I'm not stingy at all, but I'm very careful trying to avoid look as an ATM.).

(I plan to move "part by part" each time I fly there. Haven't asked yet, they are very short of space, but I think e g bring some of my (doublet) tools, when I visit the family first time.)

I can sing karaoke and even dance on a table WITHOUT being drunk :540: :dance:

• Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted
If it was me I would ask for a day or two to get over the jetlag before having a dinner and meeting the family.

I have a hard time sleeping when flying. I will arrive at 9PM after 24 hours of traveling and already have a hotel room booked close to NAIA for that night. The next morning I get on the bus for the 6-8 hour bus ride to the province. So I will have almost a day to get over jet lag. I may try 'I am Bob's suggestion of taking some medication that induces drowsiness during the long flight over the pacific.

When I was first making my travel plans my gf suggested that her family could rent a van and all drive to Manila to meet me at NAIA. Due to needing time to adjust from jet lag and the expense for renting the van I was able to convince her that it would be better to stay the night in hotel and take a bus the next day to meet them where they live.

WOW, one day to recover from jetlag and then a long bus journey.... you are a brave man, I hope you're not a big fella, my only trip on a Philippines bus was murder in their tiny seats. I never used to suffer from jetlag but now it takes me a few days to recover fully.

I can vouch for that curly i travelled on a bus from bacolod to cebu and it was very uncomfortable trust me yes it was air conditioned but the seats are made for little people i had to sit at the front next to the driver to stretch my legs.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
WOW, one day to recover from jetlag and then a long bus journey

Luckily Western Australia and RP have the same time so I will be just a little travel weary when I arrive in Cebu mid next month. Living in the most isolated city in the world has it's benefits. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya Fred
  • Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted
WOW, one day to recover from jetlag and then a long bus journey

Luckily Western Australia and RP have the same time so I will be just a little travel weary when I arrive in Cebu mid next month. Living in the most isolated city in the world has it's benefits. :thumbsup:

I din't realise that....you learn something new every day. :tiphat:

• Like 1