Posted
Posted

Was that JGF driving that truck?

:mocking: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Anyone stupid enough to say pickup within my hearing range is likely to heave their head shoved up their arse.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Anyone stupid enough to say pickup within my hearing range is likely to heave their head shoved up their arse.

Hummmmmmmm ....... interesting

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Jim, am I missing something here?

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Jim, am I missing something here?

All my life, until the last year or so, what was shown in the video has been called a ute.

Now, with American influence, some Australians are calling them pickups.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This type of truck was first built in Canada by a coach builder who's father was an American farmer. This was in the early 1890s. The downside is that the vehicle was steam powered and only lasted for one season. Later he built another version of the truck but based it on an unknown model vehicle which used a combustion engine this time. They called it the "Pick Up" as it had the rear seats removed and a box installed and was used to pick up supplies in town. The name stuck and became more common in use for other motor vehicles converted for farm use. In 1925 Ford built the first commercial truck called the Runabout that could be purchased with the "pick-up" box installed at the factory.

Sorry Jim.... but was not the first Ute in Australia produced around 1932 or 33? Another Ford product I believe!

I grew up in a car family - my father was in management with GM and my brother-in-law is in senior management with a Ford spin-off company. Both were antique car enthusiasts. And old family videos sound like advertising productions for their respective car companies - when they weren't talking about antique and turn of the century cars! So I kind of kept a general interest in older vehicles myself.... :mocking:

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Hmmmm even if they were Fillipìno? :mocking:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I did a little checking at various automotive company business sites who manufacture these trucks and found that the market is trying to slowly move the name Ute to the sport utility line and bring the name Pickup to the truck line - this was to provide the same terminology in English worldwide. The name Ute and Pickup will be used interchangeably for the next year or two and then fade out. This also applies to other names for this style truck used in other countries as well.

Some people won't be surprised by the high amount of backlash in Australia recorded by both Ford and Toyota about changing the category name...

:mocking:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Damn blasted Americans ...... why can't their ideas and language stay the other side of the pond ..... bugger .....

• Like 1