And Yet Another Foreigner Gets Arrested

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

And yet another foreigner gets arrested. The raid on Stripes Resto Bar was conducted by members of the city police, Department of Social Welfare and Development, and non-government organization International Justice Mission. The rescued women worked as guest relations officer at the bar.The bar

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
And yet another foreigner gets arrested. The raid on Stripes Resto Bar was conducted by members of the city police, Department of Social Welfare and Development, and non-government organization International Justice Mission. The rescued women worked as guest relations officer at the bar.The bar's floor manager, Glenda Boiser Teo, and its owners Milagros Cortes and a certain David, a foreign national, are now facing charges for violating Republic Act 9208 or the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003.11 girls rescued in resto bar raid http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...bCategoryId=107
Were any underage? Or is this another case of 11 girls rescued from a job where they earned money to feed their families.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

You know this is funny in a way ...... just last night on the local news a girl is bringing charges against two young Filipino men of grabbing her by her wrists .... and why did they grab her you ask ....... because she turned violent after the 2 guys refused to pay her the agreed amount for her services preformed ....... all this while in the presents of her live in boy friend ...... but it should be noted that she calmed down after the amount was paid ....... but still had the guys arrested ..... So at what point does it become illegal for a Filipina to be charged with prostitution ...... even after admitting what she had done they were booking the guys ...... so why were these women being rescued and the club owner and manager being arrested ...... must be that you can be arrested in one scenario but not another ......

TheMason
Posted
Posted
You know this is funny in a way ...... just last night on the local news a girl is bringing charges against two young Filipino men of grabbing her by her wrists .... and why did they grab her you ask ....... because she turned violent after the 2 guys refused to pay her the agreed amount for her services preformed ....... all this while in the presents of her live in boy friend ...... but it should be noted that she calmed down after the amount was paid ....... but still had the guys arrested ..... So at what point does it become illegal for a Filipina to be charged with prostitution ...... even after admitting what she had done they were booking the guys ...... so why were these women being rescued and the club owner and manager being arrested ...... must be that you can be arrested in one scenario but not another ......
Well, based on the two scenarios I'd say the point is reached when there are underaged girls involved and the prostitution is supported and facilitated by a third party that profits from the prostitution. It doesn't help that one of the pimps in this case was a foreigner.I'm glad to see the bar raided. I wish it was part of an overall plan to eliminate the bikini bars and sex trade that the Philippines is reknowned for, but I suspect this is an isolated case. In any event, the bar owners and managers should be treated very harshly for having underage girls working for them.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
And yet another foreigner gets arrested. The raid on Stripes Resto Bar was conducted by members of the city police, Department of Social Welfare and Development, and non-government organization International Justice Mission. The rescued women worked as guest relations officer at the bar.The bar's floor manager, Glenda Boiser Teo, and its owners Milagros Cortes and a certain David, a foreign national, are now facing charges for violating Republic Act 9208 or the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003.11 girls rescued in resto bar raid http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...bCategoryId=107
Were any underage? Or is this another case of 11 girls rescued from a job where they earned money to feed their families.
It said that 3 were minorsThis part is interestingCriminal Investigation and Intelligence Bureau chief George Ylanan said that the operation also established that prostitution was practiced at the bar, after marked money amounting to P4,000 for services of some

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Well, based on the two scenarios I'd say the point is reached when there are underaged girls involved and the prostitution is supported and facilitated by a third party that profits from the prostitution. It doesn't help that one of the pimps in this case was a foreigner.I'm glad to see the bar raided. I wish it was part of an overall plan to eliminate the bikini bars and sex trade that the Philippines is reknowned for, but I suspect this is an isolated case. In any event, the bar owners and managers should be treated very harshly for having underage girls working for them.
That article didn't say anything about any of them being underaged. Did you see another article that mentioned that? If that is so why didn't they raid all the bars instead of just this one.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
It is common knowledge that all bars in the Philippines have GROs so why target one?
Maybe he was not making much money, so therefore he could not afford to pay off or did not know how to? The thing I find interesting is that it just does not pay to own a business in the Philippines with all the stupid laws they seem to be passing and enforcing against foreigners. If he has underage girls working, then he got what he deserved, but fake id's are easy to get and would be hard for an employer to know the difference, yet they are still responsible. If the girls had fake id's then IMO the person who has the forged id should be the one charged, but this is the Philippines, enough said. As far as them putting all these bars out of business, I saw a comment that Bob Ward made about the party the other night and he commented that there were lots of police outside the last two bars that they all hit and that leads me to believe that the police might be making their presence known to bars they do not want to bust and not at the ones they want to bust. A warning to not do any bar fines while they are there and it is all clear when they leave. That way they can put in their reports that they hit all those bars too but there was no illegal activity at them. Looks good on the report and no chance of getting a bust. Edited by Mr. Lee
correct typing error

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
That article didn't say anything about any of them being underaged. Did you see another article that mentioned that? If that is so why didn't they raid all the bars instead of just this one.
Sorry but from the same article,top line11 girls rescued in resto bar raid Updated March 26, 2009 12:00 AM CEBU, Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
It is common knowledge that all bars in the Philippines have GROs so why target one?
Maybe he was not making much money, so therefore he could not afford to pay off or did not know how to? The thing I find interesting is that it just does not pay to own a business in the Philippines with all the stupid laws they seem to be passing and enforcing against foreigners. If he has underage girls working, then he got what he deserved, but fake id's are easy to get and would be hard for an employer to know the difference, yet they are still responsible. If the girls had fake id's then IMO the person who has the forged id should be the one charged, but this is the Philippines, enough said. As far as them putting all these bars out of business, I saw a comment that Bob Ward made about the party the other night and he commented that there were lots of police outside the last two bars that they all hit and that leads me to believe that the police might be making their presence known to bars they do not want to bust and not at the ones they want to bust. A warning to not do any bar fines while they are there and it is all clear when they leave. That way they can put in their reports that they hit all those bars too but there was no illegal activity at them. Looks good on the report and no chance of getting a bust.
This is also what David said in an email,but I dont know if this sytem would help his caseWe do not call them bar fines but early dismissal penalties. The girl gets a receipt with her name on it that she signs and we stay clear of problems.

Markham
Posted
Posted
As far as them putting all these bars out of business, I saw a comment that Bob Ward made about the party the other night and he commented that there were lots of police outside the last two bars that they all hit and that leads me to believe that the police might be making their presence known to bars they do not want to bust and not at the ones they want to bust. A warning to not do any bar fines while they are there and it is all clear when they leave. That way they can put in their reports that they hit all those bars too but there was no illegal activity at them. Looks good on the report and no chance of getting a bust.
I believe that was my comment, but never mind Lee! Yes, there was a sizeable PNP presence outside the "Egypt" and "Bounty" bars - I counted 7 uniformed officers standing around plus others waiting in two SUVs as we arrived and entered "Egypt". However, they were highly amused upon seeing Paul and were joking with us. There were further under-cover officers inside "Egypt" sitting at the bar and at a table near the door. I was talking with one of the girls there and she told me the place is often raided but when that happens, some of the girls manage to escape to the "Bounty" next door as the two bars are joined at the second floor level and share a common dressing room. However, it was much quieter in those two bars than others we visited that night.