Outrageous Utility Bills In Condos

wolf larsen
Posted
Posted

In Makati, with only 2 adults:

The electric bill for my tiny 32 sqm condo was 7000 pesos. We only have basic appliances. By contrast my bill back in the states for a 70 sqm condo was about $25 or 1000 pesos. HAHA.

The water bill was about 4000 pesos. We have no laundry machine, dishwasher, and buy drinking water. So this is only for showers, cooking, and washing dishes.

The condos are already overpriced as it is. You can similar value per square meter in several nice cities in first world countries. The utility bills are just ridiculous.

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

The electric bill for my tiny 32 sqm condo was 7000 pesos. We only have basic appliances. By contrast my bill back in the states for a 70 sqm condo was about $25 or 1000 pesos. HAHA.

The water bill was about 4000 pesos. We have no laundry machine, dishwasher, and buy drinking water. So this is only for showers, cooking, and washing dishes.

The condos are already overpriced as it is. You can similar value per square meter in several nice cities in first world countries. The utility bills are just ridiculous.

It begs the questioh........ Why live in a condo? :unsure:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup .... electric bills here are out of site ... we pay about p2400 with no aircon or electric stove ..... we are privileged to pay for all the poor families that steal electric from their neighbors ..... no subsidies here in the Phils so someone has to pay .... right

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Something is seriously wrong with your water bill, I would get that checked asap. There is no possible way you should be paying even 1/4 that for a condo. Bad meter, leaks, theft, etc.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
The electric bill for my tiny 32 sqm condo was 7000 pesos. We only have basic appliances. By contrast my bill back in the states for a 70 sqm condo was about $25 or 1000 pesos. HAHA. The water bill was about 4000 pesos. We have no laundry machine, dishwasher, and buy drinking water. So this is only for showers, cooking, and washing dishes.

could you tell(share with) us what was your usage for both?

and give a break down of the costs?

I have heard that water costs in Condos are very high,over 20p per cubic meter

as you have extra costs and which is NOT regulated by the "rules"

• Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

Do you get that bill from the utility companies (Meralco, MWWS) or from the Condo association/owner??

You could check your meters. aka write down the readings and check after 1 month the readings again. Check if the meter is running if you switch everything off. I regularly check the water meter when I know no water is used. I had a few leaks in the past that raked up the bill to 3-4000.

My house electric bills is also in the range of 6-7000 PHP but I have lots of electrical appliances so I'm not complaining about that.

Water use is between 6-800 PHP.

• Like 3

banyanman
Posted
Posted

Do you get that bill from the utility companies (Meralco, MWWS) or from the Condo association/owner??

He can't possibly be getting bills like that direct from the utility companies for a 32 sq m condo. If he is, then obviously someone is stealing his power and water. At 4,000 pesos for the water bill, someone next door must be running a bottling plant! We live in a four bedroom house with a large garden and last month our Maynilad water bill was 99 pesos (admittedly it is the wet season so there is no watering of the garden, but even in the dry season it doesn't exceed 400 pesos).

wolf larsen
Posted
Posted

The electric is from Meralco.

The water bill comes from the Condo Corp. I looked through the consumption of other units and none come close. We think it was because of a leak which was basically undetectable. Too bad they sent the bill late cause we wouldhave investigated it earlier. The next bill is going to be over 8000 for the month. Hahahaha. I asked the Condo Corp to waive it since it was the developers fault and also the condo's fault since they didn't send us the bill until too late. Of course they wont' waive anything.

banyanman
Posted
Posted

Your Condo Corp is putting a big big mark-up on the water then. Maynilad charges us about 20 pesos per cubic meter of water.

Your electricity bill is about the same as ours, but as I mentioned in my previous post, we live in a four bedroom house. We have three air-conditioners (all off and on at different times of the day); a large food frdige and freezer, a wine fridge, a film stock fridge and a dehumidfying cabinet all on 24 hours a day; washing machine and dryer, and all the usual kitchen appliances and pedestal fans.

If someone is not stealing your power, maybe you have an energy inefficient airconditioning system built into your condo? We had a system like that when we were living in Malaysia. It was made in China so any claims of energy-efficiency were probably fake. Once we shut that down, our power bill fell by half.

• Like 1

S123
Posted
Posted

I had huge electricity bills when living in Cebu and after discussion with wife she asked the maid if she knew something....

The maid suggested the water heating tank (hmmm.. whatever you call it) ... it was 24 hours on, so we decided to have it switched all times except morning... the bill dropped significantly...

• Like 1