Allied Shipping

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I shipped mine with LBC without a box, we removed the pedals and taped the manifest to the frame. Arrived without problem, cost was $125. The agent said he's done it a few times, I was going to leave it but glad I didn't. You might have a hard time finding parts for US made bikes, I looked all over for the same tire size and couldn't find.

I'll ask about that with LBC here in LA but my impression is that they are very strict on their shipping these days. I told them I had used golf clubs in a box and it was "Sorry sir, we can't ship golf clubs, household goods only".

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Could I just take 10 suitcases with me on the plane?

To expensive, but will you go and visit USA later? If so, and if you can wait geting some things, then you can move the max weight each time :)

(I think of this "step-by-step" move

or perhaps I will aim at (sharing) a container, because some things I prefer to bring are some biger than boxes.)

-

Anyone knowing prices/sellers of USED (20 fot) containers in a quality aproved for regular shipments?

(Perhaps I will start a business in the Philippines which will export container by container. Then it can be an alternative to use it for the private move first :) Anyway it can be a good store house, if have somewhere to put it before I build a house.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:::

Just got our quote, 20 foot container, near 5000 lbs. around $7500 door to door,,,packed at our house in the states, (dishes and all) shipped, ccustoms taken care of, unloaded in our PI house, room by room. Ship time 45-60 days.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:::

Just got our quote, 20 foot container, near 5000 lbs. around $7500 door to door,,,packed at our house in the states, (dishes and all) shipped, ccustoms taken care of, unloaded in our PI house, room by room. Ship time 45-60 days.

That seems fairly good. I was guesstimating 10k from the midwest so 7.5 from the west coast is about that. I think my moves to/from Germany were more than that for a 20 footer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:::::: just packed and paid for our move via allied shipping, one 20 foot container, 5700 pounds,$8500. 30-60 day delivery, door to door, packed by them and container unloaded by them at our house (I hope)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Well, I won't be hauling that much, I think the biggest three biggest items I have are desk, bicycle and 32" tv :cheersty:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I"ll be going native when I do the move.... No, Jake, I'll be wearing something underneath... hehe!

If it doesn't fit in my suitcase or my carry-on, then it just isn't coming with me.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If it doesn't fit in my suitcase or my carry-on, then it just isn't coming with me.

Thats what I did and it works great. Occasionally I miss something I used to have but the refreshing feeling of starting anew is great. Only now I have accumulated 5 years of crap so I wish I could afford to do it again. :cheersty:

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thats what I did and it works great. Occasionally I miss something I used to have but the refreshing feeling of starting anew is great. Only now I have accumulated 5 years of crap so I wish I could afford to do it again. :cheersty:

Haha!

(I have filled 6 rooms plus 40 sq m store house over full, will be much to sort when moving to the Philippines, but less hard moving that far than if moving to smaller, because to expensive to move most things. (So I will just move some clothes, computers, a foldable 20 kg canoe and perhaps a few inherited memory things. Plus books in Swedish, because I don't expect I can buy such in Phili :)

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:::::::::::::: Just to keep you all in the loop. We got hit by a $1700 US customs fee. Seem that when US customs randomly selects a container for inspection. Not only to they open it, but they bill the shipper for the cost (to include gas for the forklift). Intelectually I can understand why this happens. I just feel that I "should" have been advised of the "possiblility" that this additional cost might be applied. The saga continues....Keep u posted

• Like 1