Allied Shipping

Thomas
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:::::::::::::: Just to keep you all in the loop. We got hit by a $1700 US customs fee. Seem that when US customs randomly selects a container for inspection. Not only to they open it, but they bill the shipper for the cost (to include gas for the forklift). Intelectually I can understand why this happens. I just feel that I "should" have been advised of the "possiblility" that this additional cost might be applied. The saga continues....Keep u posted

Yes, IF they find some illegal,

BUT otherwice I CAN'T find that logical when it's random. That US custom fee I find more as Filipin "logic"... :bash: :santa_smiley:

MikeB
Posted
Posted
UPDATE:::::::::::::: Just to keep you all in the loop. We got hit by a $1700 US customs fee.

I'm confused, I thought your earlier post said that you were shipping from the US. Does US Customs charge for outgoing freight? Also, you said that customs was included?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
We got hit by a $1700 US customs fee.

Next thing you know they will be charging you for an XRay when you go through the scanner at the airport to leave the country.

My question would be: Did you contact the appropriate US Customs office to be sure this is not a fraudulent charge assessed by the broker? I would not trust documents provided without first hand confirmation. Unfortunately, even if you find something out of the ordinary you will still need to pay if you want to see your things again. At least it seems that way here.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

All good questions,,I have sent e-mails to my agent at allied, all i have recieved is a recept that was forwarded to him from the shipping agent. I asked who I pay, and as of yet I have not had a reply. I have noted all the above questions and will ask those also. Hopefully Monday US time. (if they are working) Now that I have Magic Jack hooked up (another tip i learned from this board). I will be able to ask all the questions verbally I hope.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I was shopping for BB Box agents I had heard about this problem. I think it was mainly one port on the west coast and I think it was LA, where they are doing more of the scanning of containers and if the scan turns up something that needs to be looked at, they have to break down the entire container for inspection. That is what the charge is for.

LBC in LA was very strict on what could be put in the BB boxes and apparently this was why. They got hit with the fees and have to absorb them when they are the shipper.

In the mid-west US, the BB Box companies ship via the east coast quite often for this reason, even though it takes longer to get to Phils.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

I remembered seeing this on the BB shipping company I have used for several years and actually only live a few miles from their main office. It is in regards to the inspections etc. I am posting the link in case you have interest:

http://atlasshippers.com/news3.php

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

When I was shopping for BB Box agents I had heard about this problem. I think it was mainly one port on the west coast and I think it was LA, where they are doing more of the scanning of containers and if the scan turns up something that needs to be looked at, they have to break down the entire container for inspection. That is what the charge is for.

LBC in LA was very strict on what could be put in the BB boxes and apparently this was why. They got hit with the fees and have to absorb them when they are the shipper.

In the mid-west US, the BB Box companies ship via the east coast quite often for this reason, even though it takes longer to get to Phils.

That explains it. Not odd they charge if there was something not allowed in the box.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

So if US Customs and Border Protection decides to search the outbound container and finds nothing wrong they charge the shipper? That's kinda nuts, isn't it?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

So if US Customs and Border Protection decides to search the outbound container and finds nothing wrong they charge the shipper? That's kinda nuts, isn't it?

It all falls under Homeland Security... everything they do is nuts!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am posting the link in case you have interest:

I'm starting to catch on now. The link you posted included this quote:

strict inspections conducted by inspectors under contract with the Department of Homeland Security.

So its a private contractor doing the inspecting and charging the fee? The more inspections they do the more fee they can charge? Hmmmm. Perhaps a conflict of interest exists here.

Continuing through the article I arrive at this link (below) which designates when the CBP are permitted to search. It says nothing about exports that I can find.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/admissibility/