Australian Murdered In Baguio- 81 Years Old

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just another one for the books :th_unfair:

Renowned Australian yacht designer Joe Adams has been murdered at his home in the Philippines.

The 81-year-old designer of 1973 Sydney-Hobart winner, Helsal, was found lying in a pool of blood on Monday at his home in Alpa Village, in Baguio City's west - a region popular with expatriates.

It appeared Mr Adams had attempted to fight off his attackers before his throat was slashed by a machete, Philippines police director Benjamin Magalong said on Wednesday.

Police are investigating the motive for the killing and forensic experts are examining possible fingerprints left by the suspect or suspects.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) would only confirm an 81-year-old Sydney-born man was found dead in the Philippines on Monday, and that it was providing consular assistance to the man's family.

Mr Adams spent most of his life in Sydney and became well known not only for designing Helsal, record-setting line-honours winner of the 1973 Sydney-Hobart yacht race, but also the eponymous Adams 10 metre-class yacht.

In later life he moved to Port Macquarie, on NSW's north coast, before settling full-time with his partner in the Philippines and eventually selling his business and retiring.

Sydney yacht designer Graham Radford, who was on board Helsal in the 1973 Sydney-Hobart race, says Mr Adams mentored him in yacht design throughout the 1970s.

Some facets of Mr Adams' designs are still in existence today, particularly with ocean cruisers, he said.

"Joe was a great designer from back in the 1970s and I was privileged to work with him," Mr Radford told AAP.

"... As a designer he was an excellent natural - one of the best and I was extremely fortunate that I could learn from him."

Mr Radford said Mr Adams was a "complicated character" who'd had a huge influence on his career.

"In terms of what he did for me, I started a career which is now 38 years on, and the basis of starting that career is Joe," he added.

"If you talk about influence, in terms of someone's professional life, you can't do better than that."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/latest/a/-/newshome/15139867/sydney-yacht-designers-throat-slashed/

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

With Baguio at the top of my list for where I want to move... I hope more comes out about the motive behind this murder.

Here is another story with more details, interesting that the story says his valuables were still in the home. Initially that implies the murder may not have been related to some home invasion and burglary of a foreigner.

Australian yacht designer killed in Philippines

Updated: Tuesday, 16 Oct 2012, 10:15 PM CDT

Published : Tuesday, 16 Oct 2012, 10:15 PM CDT

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — An acclaimed Australian yacht designer was hacked to death inside his residence in the northern Philippines, police said Wednesday.

A neighbor found the body of 81-year-old Joe Adams early Monday and blood scattered on the floor of his two-story house that was left open in the village of Tuding in Benguet province's Itogon township, said regional police director Benjamin Magalong.

Hack wounds on Adams' hands suggest that he tried to fight off attackers armed with a machete, Magalong said. He said police are investigating the motive for the killing and that forensic experts are examining possible fingerprints left by the suspect or suspects.

The Sydney-born yacht designer was behind the record-breaking Sydney-to-Hobart winner Helsal in 1973. After moving to the Philippines, he became an investor in a property development company in northern Baguio city.

Tuding police investigator Julius Acay said Adams may have been killed between late Sunday and early Monday. His valuables were left intact although his wallet contained no money when it was found, Acay said.

Acay said Adams had been a Philippine resident for about 10 years and lived for many years in Tuding's Alphaville subdivision. During that time, there was no record of disturbance or altercation involving Adams, who lived alone after separating from his third wife, a Filipino who now lives in Australia, Acay said.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed Adams' death.

Acay said that Adams recently let go of his Filipino maid because he could no longer pay her. He was last seen walking his maid to her new employer within the village Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

Duma
Posted
Posted

So sorry to hear this RIP

• Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted

if he could,nt afford a maid it sounds like he was flat broke ,very sad way to go.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sent by contact us form.

Content:

I am so sorry to hear Joe Adams has been taken from us.

I like to express my condolences to all his friends and family.

Having build and sailed two of his wonderful designs

Joe has my admiration for all my life.

RIP.

To the administer , I live in Australia not a member of this forum

would you please pass this message on

Regards , Manfred

• Like 3

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

So sad. I send my condolences to his friends and family. I'm sure the yachting community the world over mourns his passing. He was quite famous. But I believe he must have really loved living in the Philippines.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Totally senseless!

I too was familiar with his work as a fan of the sport. Yes, he will be missed!

Edited by I am bob
  • Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

I bet on a dealing with some local(s) gone sour.

Sad Pinoys only know one way to settle a score....

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

i have tried to "google" any updates on this man/story, yet seems quite.

has any one heard or found out if the case was solved or just another senseless/unsolved crime?

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

This story continues to prove the fact that Filipinos do not respect the elderly as everyone likes to think.  How could anyone use a machete to cut the throat of a 81 year old man?  They wouldn't even kill a dog like that.

• Like 2