Inter Island Moving And Shipping

Mike S
Posted
Posted

For lack of a better place I guess this will go here ......

We started canvasing moving companies to move our household stuff to Negros next year (I hate to wait till the last moment) and I just can't believe how much difference there is between companies ..... first off most companies will only move with in the island and not island to island .....

Container company ..... p23,974 for container only ..... p6,130 for truck to move container .... but no loading or unloading and an estimate of 3 days to 1 week for delivery .... no idea until the actual day of shipping ...

Moving co. #1 ...... p100,000 .... they will pack ... load ... unload and unpack .... door to door ..... next day delivery

Moving co. #2 ..... p75,000 ..... they will pack ... load .... unload and unpack ..... door to door ..... next day delivery

Moving co #3 ..... p32,000 ...... they will load and unload ..... no packing ...... door to door ...... next day delivery (this co was actually recommended by co. #2 ???) maybe their cheaper version ..... :mocking:

The first two co. #1&2 are called international movers so I assume co # 3 is their branch that moves locally .... but will go to Negros .....

Anyway I will keep updating this info as I go along for those who might want to know how to move from island to island and the cost involved ..... I think for our use the container co. will be out as we can't have a 20-40ft. container sitting on the ground in front of the apartment for 24hr. as cars park in front of the building which they have to pay for their parking slots .....

#3 is looking good so far but we want to check on some others .... we packed all our stuff from the last move so no big deal .... I just want someone to load and unload ..... besides we have a lot of your stuff packed in large plastic storage containers and I can always buy a few more ..... plus they stack great ..... :thumbsup: ...... :cheersty:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I think for our use the container co. will be out as we can't have a 20-40ft. container sitting on the ground in front of the apartment for 24hr

I remember reading something about that on another forum. Let me tell you what I remember of it in case you want to research further.

The author said (at least its what I read into it) the company was 2Go and they brought a container to his house on the back of a truck and he paid the driver of the truck, and probably other helpers) a few hundred pesos to load it and go. Even though the deal was to drop the container and self load, it seems the truck did not even have the facilities to unload the container and he did not have a forklift handy.

At the other end the same arrangement was made . . apparently. Anyway, I read this fellows experiences with interest and although forum rules do not like us to direct members to other forums, I can send you a link by PM if you ask for it.

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes please Dave send it to me .... I'm open to any and all suggestions ..... as I said there is no way they can drop the container on the road as cars park on one side of the street (including me) and the apartment has head in parking on the other side for the lucky few that pay for their slots ..... but it won't hurt to read what his experiences were .... thanks ...... :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Be wary Mike!

Option #3 is often where they are the same company (different name) as the company who recommends them. The labour they bring with them will be inexperienced and not being paid enough to care about not playing basketball with your dishes. This is another reason they don't do any of the packing... It's harder for them to force that bowling ball into an already full box of crystal glasses if they aren't packing for you! And often the drivers are in the same shape. They would probably have trouble finding their way home from your current apartment. Don't look too closely at the truck either.... Fear that it won't make the trip would be normal. Now I'm not saying all discount companies are like this but I have used enough of them to know that many (I so want to say YES to all of them!) are going to be your worse nightmare!

If you are going to pack your own things, why not just hire a truck and driver and do a convoy move? Or have a family member go with the truck? It's not that far to drive / ferry to Negros... And you could just hire a few of your neighbors or their kids to help you load and unload the truck if family isn't there to help. Don't forget to price popcorn in bulk and the hot air popper to use for protecting your breakables!

:mocking:

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

I not clear if you have a limited time frame for the move, but if you can manage a day or so of packing with you in a nearby hotel, that is something I've done many times. As far as packing, that is a management issue for you, not matter who does it. I have many, many war stories of packers and in every case, it was myself who had to oversee the operation and preplan. For example, valuables need to be packed by yourself. However, I'll never forget one experience I had moving in Korea. The packers were competent and hard working. N fortunately, hungry and liked to smoke. I lost sight of the fellow in the kitchen area but found out he liked snacks. How did I know? He wandered over to me with an open package of some "foreign" delight he was eating and offered me some, of my own food.

So, valuables become relative.

I had a theft once and it was a cigar box full of coins. To an idiot, it would have looked like a treasure. So, an idiot took the coins. In fact, they were simply several years accumulation of pocket change from all sorts of European countries. This was before the euro. So, I had simply saved them for my child as a novelty. They are difficult to dispose if unless you travel to and use them in the country of origin.

As to the situation with the container and parking. ..... Is it possible to have it parked in another location? I've had moves where a shipping van could not get close and a shuttle arrangement was made. Of course, security can be an issue for that.

I really think you can get just about any hard working person to do a decent job of packing. Even the experts offer bad advice, so as long as you oversee the operation, you'll be successful. (I had a government move inspector once tell a packet to place a small portable television into the same box as some dried flowers....so as to not waste space. Luckily the mover said yes, and then ignored his advice when he left)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

A friend of Mine Moved from Cebu to Dumaguete last year, he did an Odd thing, (Well it seemed odd at the Time.) obviously, you will have to pay for the return Journey, with an empty Wagon. So James ( my friend,) decided to employ a moving company from Dumaguete, they arrived with an empty Wagon, he supervised the Loading, the family packed them selves. His theory was that, the wagon, he and his wife, all went at the same time, same ferry, the helpers went in the wagon. Everything to him was good. no time lost, no excuses for getting lost and of course, They were from Dumaguete if anything went wrong, he had a local contact. Using a Cebu Mover and once he has dropped the goods you would never see them again.

Just a thought Mike. As you are moving to their area, it may have a knock on effect with pricing.

:tiphat:

• Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

For lack of a better place I guess this will go here ......

We started canvasing moving companies to move our household stuff to Negros next year (I hate to wait till the last moment) and I just can't believe how much difference there is between companies ..... first off most companies will only move with in the island and not island to island .....

Container company ..... p23,974 for container only ..... p6,130 for truck to move container .... but no loading or unloading and an estimate of 3 days to 1 week for delivery .... no idea until the actual day of shipping ...

Moving co. #1 ...... p100,000 .... they will pack ... load ... unload and unpack .... door to door ..... next day delivery

Moving co. #2 ..... p75,000 ..... they will pack ... load .... unload and unpack ..... door to door ..... next day delivery

Moving co #3 ..... p32,000 ...... they will load and unload ..... no packing ...... door to door ...... next day delivery (this co was actually recommended by co. #2 ???) maybe their cheaper version ..... :mocking:

The first two co. #1&2 are called international movers so I assume co # 3 is their branch that moves locally .... but will go to Negros .....

Anyway I will keep updating this info as I go along for those who might want to know how to move from island to island and the cost involved ..... I think for our use the container co. will be out as we can't have a 20-40ft. container sitting on the ground in front of the apartment for 24hr. as cars park in front of the building which they have to pay for their parking slots .....

#3 is looking good so far but we want to check on some others .... we packed all our stuff from the last move so no big deal .... I just want someone to load and unload ..... besides we have a lot of your stuff packed in large plastic storage containers and I can always buy a few more ..... plus they stack great ..... :thumbsup: ...... :cheersty:

mike where are you moving to i,m moving to bacolod and will have to ship my stuff too also what month are you thinking of ?
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the input guys ..... we of course will be personally checking out the business of each co. by going there in person to see hwat type of place they run .... I feel that the low cost outfit is kinda like PAL and Air Phil ..... both owned by the same company but one is no frills .... the reason I say this is because when my asawa called the number given to us by the high priced outfit the woman who answered the phone said "so you are moving to Bacolod ..... my asawa said "how did you know that" her reply was "here let me transfer you to Ma'am" ...... :hystery: :hystery: .... and who knows maybe they are moon lighting ..... but that would never happen here or anywhere ... right???? ....... :mocking:

tiger31 ........ unfortunately there is no way I can answer that as there are way to many variables ....... we need to find a place first .... we have to be out by the end of March here or we have to renew or contract for another 6 months ..... we also have p21,000 deposit which we could lose if we leave before the contract is up but if we find a place I'm really not all that concerned about the deposit because I would have to pay rent in both places which would make less sense that losing the deposit ..... so it all depends on what happens first .... if we find a place we really like next month we could possibly move then OR wait a few months till we do find something ..... :cheersty:

• Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the input guys ..... we of course will be personally checking out the business of each co. by going there in person to see hwat type of place they run .... I feel that the low cost outfit is kinda like PAL and Air Phil ..... both owned by the same company but one is no frills .... the reason I say this is because when my asawa called the number given to us by the high priced outfit the woman who answered the phone said "so you are moving to Bacolod ..... my asawa said "how did you know that" her reply was "here let me transfer you to Ma'am" ...... :hystery: :hystery: .... and who knows maybe they are moon lighting ..... but that would never happen here or anywhere ... right???? ....... :mocking:

tiger31 ........ unfortunately there is no way I can answer that as there are way to many variables ....... we need to find a place first .... we have to be out by the end of March here or we have to renew or contract for another 6 months ..... we also have p21,000 deposit which we could lose if we leave before the contract is up but if we find a place I'm really not all that concerned about the deposit because I would have to pay rent in both places which would make less sense that losing the deposit ..... so it all depends on what happens first .... if we find a place we really like next month we could possibly move then OR wait a few months till we do find something ..... :cheersty:

well we are just getting electric and water connected next week so wecan move anytime but it might be march too as the gf ,s daughter finishes school term in march thats why we may wait til then which will give me time to furnish the place .its in baranguy granada clean air cooler climate less traffic I like the feel of the place.
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I asked a friend of mine in Cebu if they had ever run across what you had mentioned and they told me that it was probably a company who had a franchise for a big name company but still had their own company as well. Expensive rates for the franchise and cheaper for their own company. And of course you have more do-it-yourself with the discount brand.

• Like 1