The Worlds A Changing

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I though some of you guys would be interested in this as it involves plans and ships (damn ... almost said boats ... Jake :mocking: ) Just imagine no more catapults or hooks needed to land planes anymore ...... I'll bet Doolittle is spinning over in his grave ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ........ hey Cyua Jake .... if this doesn't make the old flag pole climb to at least 3 o'clock nothing will ..... :thumbsup:

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=colike

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 4

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Do you realize how many split second decisions went into this? Not just the makers and the pilots but those who handle them too!

Thanks!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Nice piece, Mike, not to upstage you at all my friend But hey, this is not new, the UK have had a VTOL since 1969, in fact they are now defunked ( Retired.) Cost was the reason. only a few left now used by the Royal navy and US Pity as this was a great machine, I navigated on the two Seater land version for 4/5 years.

Land version

post-2148-0-94736100-1352345755_thumb.jp

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Nice Jack!

You can see how the second one had a much longer runway thu!

Ah...it's retired like us! :dance:

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

looks like a sweet aircraft and stealthy also

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Nice Jack!

Yep but not needed, used to conserve fuel only, I forget the actual cost difference on run out and vertical take off BUT it was considerable

Riding Shot gun on one these crafts, was a fantastic and a priveledge Posting. My hat was certainly taken off. to the Jockeys

:tiphat:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hummmmmmm .... thanks for the info Jack ...... a friend sent it to me along with this narration so I thought it was something new .....

This video link is fresh (for the public). It was made just six weeks ago in the Atlantic, just off Newport News (Hampton Roads),Virginia .

These are the latest sea trials of the F-35B on the USS Wasp. They were very successful, with 74 VL's and STO's in a three week period.

The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard.

Neither of which happened. You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates.

That was an intentional part of the sea trials.

No catapult... No hook.... Its a new world out there!

The shape and scope of warfare worldwide just changed.

Edited by Mike S

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Awesome video and Post Mike S...the videography was great...I appreciate the post!

Jake
Posted
Posted

Nice Jack!

Yep but not needed, used to conserve fuel only, I forget the actual cost difference on run out and vertical take off BUT it was considerable

Riding Shot gun on one these crafts, was a fantastic and a priveledge Posting. My hat was certainly taken off. to the Jockeys

:tiphat:

The British Royal Navy kicked some butt during the Falkland War in 1982. Their Harrier jump jets proved to

be a formidable killers of the sky against supersonic jets.

Regarding the new F-35 Lightning configured for the carrier base amphibious operations, I certainly hope

those single engines can endure the extreme war at sea environment. Yeah, they are stealthy and super

sonic but I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about any single engine aircrafts over open ocean. If you

punch out, the nearest land is often times the bottom of the ocean....he, he.

I salute you Jack P for your dedicated service in the British Royal Air Force!

post-686-0-63010600-1352380379_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
The British Royal Navy kicked some butt during the Falkland War in 1982.

by 1982 my Fast jet days were over, during that conflict, the RAF Role was purely Refueling, i was shotgun on Victor Tankers out of the Ascension islands. We refueled the C130's, that fed the Harriers and Sea King Helicopters and anything else that was Thirsty. we also refueled the Avro Vulcan that bombed Port Stanley

post-2148-0-60376900-1352382288_thumb.jp.

The Vulcan retired in 1993 after some 34 years in service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=spIycXcShXA

Jake, I thank you for your comments on my Service, this means a lot to me.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2