The Worlds A Changing

Curley
Posted
Posted

One of the "tricks" used in the Falklands was "Viffing"

Vectoring nozzles can also be used for Vectoring In Forward Flight or "viffing", e.g. a rapid braking allowing a chasing fighter jet to overtake thus bringing itself into the range of forward firing weapons. Viffing was used to great effect during the Anglo-Argentian Falklands War, where 28 Royal Navy and 6 RAF jets did not incur any losses in dogfighting against a force of more than 200 Argentine Air Force jets. The Harrier Jump Jets in question were subsequently referred to as 'The Black Death' by the Argentinian pilots. Viffing also allowed a much tighter turn in combat manoeuvres, although there is little evidence to suggest that it was regularly taught to pilots, as the loss of airspeed could make the aircraft vulnerable to attack.

On more recent fighter aircraft, pitch-axis thrust vectoring has been added to improve the turn rate of the aircraft by deflecting the exhaust gas stream using directional efflux nozzles. The Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor and Sukhoi Su-30MKI are some example.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)
The British Royal Navy kicked some butt during the Falkland War in 1982.

by 1982 my Fast jet days were over, during that conflict, the RAF Role was purely Refueling, i was shotgun on Victor Tankers out of the Ascension islands. We refueled the C130's, that fed the Harriers and Sea King Helicopters and anything else that was Thirsty. we also refueled the Avro Vulcan that bombed Port Stanley

post-2148-0-60376900-1352382288_thumb.jp.

The Vulcan retired in 1993 after some 34 years in service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=spIycXcShXA

Jake, I thank you for your comments on my Service, this means a lot to me.

JP :tiphat:

I saw a documentary a few weeks ago all about the bombing run to the Falklands, talk about a wing and a prayer. I think it's on youtube, well worth a look. Here

Edited by Curley
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry, that was just a trailer....here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40knj0qg_Us

Edited by Curley
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

I've just watched it again, incredible and very moving.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry, that was just a trailer....here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40knj0qg_Us

Hello Jack P,

Your humbleness is extraordinary! Now I know your secretive meaning of riding shotgun during the most daring raid on the Falklands. Thanks to Curley's youtube attachment about that secret raid in 1982, I nearly went through two bags of popcorn watching this 45 min long documentary. It is absolutely a prime example of British ingenuity that can only be surpass by British humor. Well done my friends!

One more thing during that time (1982) -- Even at the age of 87, she could probably kick my a$$. I would vote for Margaret Thatcher anyway -- for the next US president. Thank you Curley for my morning inspiration.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Curley,

That was brilliant! Especially the one who came up with the refueling plan!

I watched the video once and will watch again later to fill any gaps I might have missed.

Mind you, I don't think there are too many left who could do that?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Curley,

I watched the video once and will watch again later to fill any gaps I might have missed.

Thanks!

A brilliant plan indeed! But first, the strategic bomber Vulcan needed to refit their refueling probes.

As an old cold war bomber, a vital part was finally found in the air crews lounge being used as an

ashtray! The refueling fleet of Victor's where Jack P rode shotgun also played an important role by

providing fuel to that lone Vulcan.

The mission was a sounding success. The Argentinian runway was rendered useless and therefore

prevented many British Marines from being slaughtered by air attacks. This documentary will keep

you at the edge of your seat to the last minute. Thank you once again Curley!

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Curley,

Thanks!

A brilliant plan indeed! But first, the strategic bomber Vulcan needed to refit their refueling probes.

As an old cold war bomber, a vital part was finally found in the air crews lounge being used as an

ashtray! The refueling fleet of Victor's where Jack P rode shotgun also played an important role by

providing fuel to that lone Vulcan.

The mission was a sounding success. The Argentinian runway was rendered useless and therefore

prevented many British Marines from being slaughtered by air attacks. This documentary will keep

you at the edge of your seat to the last minute. Thank you once again Curley!

Respectfully -- Jake

Don't thank me....... thank our Jack who was part of it.

Was it really 30 years ago.......... where does the time go?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

post-2148-0-44223600-1352469666.jpg

Well guys and girls, I sit here full of Embarrassment, for the nice and heartfelt things that have been said on this Subject. This is a Story, I rarely talk about. I won't say OH! I was just, doing my job, I was as proud as punch, to do it. I was a little Worried when I got called to the C/O, on a cold morning in April 1982. I was over the moon, when I left his Office. Of course, I could not talk about it to anyone, I had been asked if I would navigate a Victor Tanker to do a Refuel on a Vulcan, in the south Atlantic Top secret and a grade 1 clearance followed. The skipper, on V 7( The Tanker I would navigate to our refueling Area) had not been chosen yet, nor had the rest of the 9 crew, that would be Aboard. So I was bursting at the seams, I had NO one, to talk to about this. When the Skipper had been selected, we had only 2 weeks to get a Plan of Action Going.,

As you can see from the Video Curley uncovered, ( great Job my Friend) we had some work ahead of us, to get the Vulcan Crew up to speed on the job in hand. As I had been at that time, the only one, to have had war zone experience on Victor refueling, I was given the job of classroom talks on the ups and downs of this task.(Incoming enemy fighters can cause a few problems)

Although we knew, it was a Secret mission, nothing was left to chance.

The video tells the rest of the story, all I can and will say is that we refueled her (The lone wolf) before she attacked (about 800 miles off target and out of radar range) and directly After, about 400 miles down wind. We all, wanted her, up up and away, ASAP with enough Fuel for the trip to Ascension, she would lay over there for a few days, Just in case.

We stayed around for some time to help out. Refueling C130's after being Refueled ourselves 2/3 times.

Odd, how a topic about the VTOL, could raise this YES, 30 year old Event.

I was truly proud of that time and proud to have been part of the story. :thumbsup:

Thank you all, for your thoughts and comments.

post-2148-0-56379900-1352472220.jpg

jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

.....This is a Story, I rarely talk about.....I could not talk about it to anyone, I had been asked if I would navigate a Victor Tanker to do a Refuel on a Vulcan, in the south Atlantic Top secret and a grade 1 clearance followed.....

......As I had been at that time, the only one, to have had war zone experience on Victor refueling, I was given the job of classroom talks on the ups and downs of this task.(Incoming enemy fighters can cause a few problems)

We stayed around for some time to help out. Refueling C130's after being Refueled ourselves 2/3 times.

I was truly proud of that time and proud to have been part of the story. :thumbsup:

Thank you all, for your thoughts and comments.

jack P. :tiphat:

Hello Air Force Puke (Jack P),

Against insurmountable odds (including lightning storms), the Vulcan and Victor aircrew prepared and

successfully executed a secret mission within a 3 week notice. In my opinion, this mission is equivalent

to the famous Doolittle Raid but the British RAF pulled it off magnificently during the 1982 Falkland War.

I mentioned British humor in my previous post. I busted my gut laughing when one of your Victor pilots

(or was it you Jack P) that describe the extensive re-training of air refueling: it was like a very wet noodle

stuffing it to the backside of a cat. It cannot get any better than that!

I salute you sir -- Jake (US Navy puke)

• Like 1