Acr-I Card Issue Question

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I paid for the ACR-I card at my last extension, 17 Oct 2012. Do I need to go pick it up at BI office?

I hope to leave the country before the next extension is due and not return for over a year, so is there even a point in having it? Do I need it to leave (I'm understanding "no")? I've only officially been here since August, so less than 4 months in country.

Thanks ahead for your reply. :541:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I lost the darn thing last time and then let it expire before leaving the country. It did not matter. But your experience may differ.

• Like 2

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

no use having it, they usually text you when it is ready, they also post it on the BOI website but it is so far behind it is ready long before they post it

• Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted

greg they are as much use as a chocalate tea pot just leave it at the office .ive got last years one and this years one in my wallet and they have never come out of my wallet.the only use for them is if you want to open a bank account here they sometimes ask for it .

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Do I need photos for the ACR-I card? I'm going today. I know I can get them in the mall next door anyway. Just wondering.

Markham
Posted
Posted

No. If you're here on a Visitors Visa (or Waiver) then the photo affixed in your Passport will be used but if you're a resident then you'll be digitally photographed at BoI.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For those who are wondering just what the heck the ACR-I card does for you?

The main advantage of having the ACR-I card is that you can open a bank account once you have the card. There are many benefits that you don't see unless you look - such as faster processing time when entering or leaving the country, pretty well ensures you won't be accused of having false documents (illegal immigration officer shake-downs - which the country is trying to get rid of), you can pay online for immigration fees, and gives you an extra nice little piece of photo ID. Ok, so the photo ID is just a bonus result. Hey, be nice! Anyway, there are other benefits still that I did not mention but most of those are for the BI itself. The ACR-I card will not replace you passport, driver's licence or any other strange piece of paper, right? WRONG! It has replaced several other forms at the same time. Not things that we will need to worry about any more (since they were replaced by the ACR-I) so I won't mention them here. Now, for those here on what I call the "Fly Away" program (Tourists), your ACR-I card is valid for 1 year. If you are a longer term (Immigrating anyone?), they are valid for 5 years. The date should be shown on the back of the card - though some have been known to have been issued without that date. It is up to you to know when it expires and replace / renew it accordingly.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The main advantage of having the ACR-I card is that you can open a bank account once you have the card. There are many benefits that you don't see unless you look - such as faster processing time when entering or leaving the country, pretty well ensures you won't be accused of having false documents (illegal immigration officer shake-downs - which the country is trying to get rid of), you can pay online for immigration fees, and gives you an extra nice little piece of photo ID.

I'm sure that's what the web site says but, with the exception of some banks asking for it to open an acct (mine didn't), has anyone had any use or need for this card? I haven't heard of any benefits to the holder; there are, of course, fees for obtaining and renewing one.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm with you Mike. Any time anyone has asked to see my ACR card they look and say its just a Tourist ACR card and not valid for bank accounts or anything else. I have not found a use for it and I go out of my way to avoid getting one. How do I do that? Well my current tourist ACR card expired Dec 12 so I made sure to renew my tourist Visa on Dec 10 when the card was still valid. I will get 2 more months before anyone asks to see the card and then there is no penalty for late renewal of the ACR card so I am at least that far ahead. If they forget to ask me to renew I will get yet another 2 months. (That has happened.)

Or just pay the 2500 pesos and don't worry about it. ($50 for card and 500 pesos for express fee)

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Well my current tourist ACR card expired Dec 12 so I made sure to renew my tourist Visa on Dec 10 when the card was still valid.

Good tip! Thanks!