Husband Of Us Diplomat Killed In Makati City

MikeB
Posted
Posted

rarely have I seen when a Philippine native commits any type of crime against a non-native(foreigner) do they get any harsh sentence must less a conviction.

Evelyn Davis, ex-wife of Steven Davis (and former bar girl) was sentenced to the max 40 years for masterminding his murder in 2002. I think the 2 who actually pulled the trigger got 30 years. But it was only through the efforts of his mother that they were even arrested. The Makati police told her they didn't have the money to go to Angeles to investigate the murder so she paid all expenses. And paid witnesses to tell the truth.

Markham
Posted
Posted

This is disgusting and a huge insult to all foreigners and Americans in particular.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I couldn't agree more with the above post. According to the article the court's verdict was made final last July and not a word in the media until a couple of tiny articles now. Very sad situation.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2014/12/20/1404623/2-pinoys-us-marines-slay-granted-probation

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

I couldn't agree more with the above post. According to the article the court's verdict was made final last July and not a word in the media until a couple of tiny articles now. Very sad situation.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2014/12/20/1404623/2-pinoys-us-marines-slay-granted-probation

Four Filipinos accused of killing US Marine George Anikow in 2012 will not go to prison.

A source at the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 59 said

Galicano Datu and Crispin dela Paz were “convicted on probation.”

That means they will not be imprisoned and they will only have to report to their probation officers.

Datu and Dela Paz, along with two other accused killers,

Osric Cabrera and Juan Alfonso Abastillas, are out on P300,000 bail.

The source said Datu and Dela Paz were placed on probation following their conviction.

“They were not able to serve time in jail,” the source said. “They were only in jail for two months before they were allowed by the court to post bail.”

The source said the decision was promulgated LAST JULY.

“The family of the victim are disappointed with the court’s decision,” the source said.

In a resolution dated Feb. 21, 2013, Makati RTC Branch 59 said prosecutors failed to show evidence that a conspiracy existed among the four to commit murder and that they had killed Anikow with abuse of superior strength.

The four were originally charged with murder, but it was later downgraded to homicide.

The Makati police said security guards at the gate of Bel-Air Village in Makati were checking Anikow, a resident,

when the four arrived aboard a gray Volvo sport utility vehicle around 3:55 a.m. on Nov. 24, 2012.

The four intended to pass through Bel-Air as a short cut to Palm Village, where Cabrera lives, police added.

Police said Abastillas, the SUV’s driver, rolled down his window and talked to the security guard when Anikow reportedly told them: “You need to present your ID, the guard is checking you.”

Abastillas initially ignored Anikow, but before the SUV could move away, Anikow allegedly strongly tapped the driver’s side and rear passenger side of the vehicle, police added.

Police said that caused the four to alight and confront Anikow.

Security guards tried to mediate, but the argument turned into a brawl, police added.

Police said Anikow ran away from the four, who chased him.

When the four caught up with Anikow, they beat him up until he fell to the ground, police added.

Anikow was stabbed in the neck during the brawl.

Police recovered a tactical knife inside the SUV.

As always,

:thumbsup: LOVE THOSE COMMENTS that follow the  published  article :thumbsup:

and they wonder why the American's are reluctant to turn over Pemberton to the Philippine justice system..hmmmmmmmmmm

2 Pinoys in US Marine’s slay granted probation.

How can this happen? You have four suspects against a victim . . . and none of the suspects are found guilty? It's murder, i don't care how the victim was killed but four against one is quite obvious there was intent . . . Pathetic !

If that's the case, LCpl Pemberton is innocent . . . I Rest My Case ! !

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A source at the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 59 said Galicano Datu and Crispin dela Paz were “convicted on probation.”

I thought Abastillas, the driver, had been identified as the one who stabbed him. This makes no sense at all. Shameful.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
The four were originally charged with murder, but it was later downgraded to homicide.

Excuse me, but is this not the same thing?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Homicide is a lesser charge from Murder. Murder is non-bailable, bail is allowed on a charge of Homicide. But the judge still allowed bail when the charge was Murder because he felt the case wasn't strong. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hmmmmmmmm i found this and it seems to answer my Question but something is not sitting right with me.

homicide - Focuses on the killing of a human being, in the same way that 'fratricide' focuses on killing one's brother, 'suicide' on killing one's self, etc. Homicide is not necessarily a crime. If a police officer kills someone who shoots first at him, this is not illegal, not murder. 'Justifiable homicide' is the phrase I often hear. 

murder - Focuses on the unlawful killing of a human being. Involves some degree of premeditation or intention (first degree and second degree murder, murder in cold blood or in hot blood). Careless, accidental killing is 'manslaughter' rather than 'murder'. 

These men used undue/combined force from what I read and to me was unlawful Killing maybe not totally premeditated but certainly Intentional but then............... 

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the light of the verdicts and sentencing in the George Anikow murder case, the family and friends of the late Daniel Perry together with the Scottish authorities must be wondering if the cyber-scammers who caused 17 year old Daniel to take his life will be punished for their crimes.

Daniel, from Dunfermline, was a victim of extortion by a Filipino gang after he had been coerced into taking part in an explicit Skype chat in July 2013. The gang had videoed the chat and threatened to make it public unless he paid them. One of the blackmailers sent Daniel a message which said "I will make you suffer". Apparently Daniel begged them not to release the video to which the gang reportedly replied "Commit suicide now" and then followed that up with "Are you dead yet?". Daniel then took his life by jumping off the Forth Road Bridge.

Police Scotland, Interpol and the Philippine National Police mounted a joint operation, "Operation Strikeback", in May and arrested some 58 Manila residents suspected of involvement in online extortion. Three of them have been exposed and identified by a BBC investigation as being directly involved in Daniel's case: Jomar Palacio, 23 and from Manila, Archie Tolin, 20, also from Manila and Vincent Bravo, 22, who works as a waiter in a strip club south of Manila. All three suspects are currently on bail.

The Scottish Authorities want to extradite the trio to face trial in a Sheriff's Court but face two problems. Firstly, although both the Philippines and United Kingdom have signed Extradition Treaties, neither country has had the Treaty ratified by its legislature and therefore there is no Extradition Treaty in force. This means that the Fiscal would have to make an "ad-hoc" application via the Foreign Office to the Philippine Department of Justice whose Secretary De Lima may well reject it. The other hurdle is that the Philippine authorities are claiming jurisdiction. Given that this is a crime that effectively took place in a far-off country thousands of miles away, has no adverse impact on any Filipino, the increasingly heavy workload on the Courts and the peculiarities of Philippine Criminal Jurisprudence, it is entirely possible that those suspects will never be tried and the matter quietly swept under the carpet.

Edited by Markham
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
it is entirely possible that those suspects will never be tried and the matter quietly swept under the carpet.

ohwell.gif No surprise there then!

JPtoff.gif

• Like 1