Half Of 12-million Lpg Tanks In Use Nationwide Defective - Bfp

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Do you cook with electric or gas? We use electric in our condo because I feel it is safer. So why do people insist of gas when it seems to be so dangerous here? During our time coming and going to the Philippines, we have heard of so many LPG fires and explosions, where a whole group of houses have been wiped out. It would sure seem that the difference in savings is not worth the risk since the LPG barely smells at all here, so how would people know if they have a leak? Half of 12-million LPG tanks in use nationwide defective - BFP http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...ubCategoryId=63 Half of the estimated 12 million LPG tanks in use nationwide are considered defective and substandard, according to an official of the Directorate for Fire Safety and Prevention (DFSP).

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I don't know about others but when we bought our tank it was new ..... now each time we call for Gasul we tell them to bring a new tank and if it is not in good condition we refuse it and the get another one off the truck ...... we have it delivered ... no additional price and we know what we get .....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Well I don't know about others but when we bought our tank it was new ..... now each time we call for Gasul we tell them to bring a new tank and if it is not in good condition we refuse it and the get another one off the truck ...... we have it delivered ... no additional price and we know what we get .....
I don't know if they have it there or not but in Aus the tanks are stamped with a date and must be tested and re-stamped after so many years,cant remember how long it is.Also I noticed that some places have the BBQ size bottles kept in doors for the stove burrners,not a good idea.

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey Lee ..... you are an not a good example of electric vs gas ..... I mean you only eat 1 meal a day cooked at home and usually breakfast that is when you run out of bagels ...... hahahahaha ..... But I can see why the average Filipino doesn't use electric as sometimes even with the pressure cooker it will take Julie 30 - 40 mins to cook some different kinds of meats especially tripe dishes ..... many Filipinos use charcoal rather than gas and many more fires are started that way ..... In fact I used to use charcoal in the center of my kitchen floor ... till the upstairs neighbors complained about the smoke ...... they had no sense of adventure ..... I used to love seeing their blackened faces peering down at me while shouting obscenities ....... #&%*$#@*&^% kano ...... hey I even invited them to come down and sit around the fire and sing com bi ya ......

Edited by Mike S

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hey Lee ..... you are an not a good example of electric vs gas ..... I mean you only eat 1 meal a day cooked at home and usually breakfast that is when you run out of bagels ...... hahahahaha ..... But I can see why the average Filipino doesn't use electric as sometimes even with the pressure cooker it will take Julie 30 - 40 mins to cook some different kinds of meats especially tripe dishes ..... many Filipinos use charcoal rather than gas and many more fires are started that way ..... In fact I used to use charcoal in the center of my kitchen floor ... till the upstairs neighbors complained about the smoke ...... they had no sense of adventure ..... I used to love seeing their blackened faces peering down at me while shouting obscenities ....... #&%*$#@*&^% kano ...... hey I even invited them to come down and sit around the fire and sing com bi ya ......
Mike, You are about 90% correct,, but she does cook food for herself and on rainy days we do eat home, but even if we ate home everyday, I would still use electric because the thought of having a gas container in the condo scares the heck out of me....... I feel that it is almost like having a time bomb in the unit......... I have seen first hand what happens when one of those containers blows up, so if our kitchen was next to the patio, then I would keep the gas outside and feel better about gas........Anyone who has seen one of those things blow, would never have one in the home. Sorry to say this but I personally think it is unsafe to keep gas in the home and those homes that have the gas containers outside are OK IMO but not the ones where the gas container is right next to the electric meter or next to an open flame in the home.

Markham
Posted
Posted
but even if we ate home everyday, I would still use electric because the thought of having a gas container in the condo scares the heck out of me....... I feel that it is almost like having a time bomb in the unit
Lee,That's one reason I was turned-off about renting in Winland. Here at Citylights, all gas cylinders are stored externally. According to Maintenance, the problem isn't so much with defective cylinders as with defective regulators and rotted hoses. I had the owner of my unit replace both prior to move-in and insisted he fit a regulator with a pressure gauge (many don't have this), he wasn't too happy spending the additional 250 Pesos!I prefer gas. It's immediate and costs less - too much energy is consumed heating up the solid hotplate.Mark

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Oregon, they won't refill a tank if it has rust or is more than 10 years old. Here in Cebu they sell a cheap blue hose for the LPG. It's better to get a higher quality reinforced hose. If your tank is outside try to protect the hose from the sunlight. You can cover your hose with something. I put an old towel over mine. UV will quickly degrade it. I like having the tank outside. Just protect the hose.

Edited by M.Morey

• 2 weeks later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Do the hardware stores carry the reinforced hose?

Mik
Posted
Posted

Yes.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Where ...