Are Some Filipinos Without Manners

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Are some Filipinos without manners or is it that they just do not think about things like this?Today has been a really bad day for getting cut off...... :th_Good-Luck: I do not know if it is because so many people have Holy week on the mind or I was just unlucky today........ :13_4_10[1]: This morning we walked to a couple of banks for some banking we needed to do since the banks were closed yesterday and they will be closed Thursday to Monday........... While walking, people just walked in front of us just about everywhere we went as if we were invisible or maybe it was get the kano day, and not one person was courteous at all and not even in the banks except the employees...... :SugarwareZ-034: Then we got into a taxi and headed for SM to go to Veco to fix another possible problem that luckily turned out OK...... :13_4_10[1]: On the way to SM and in the taxi, people must have had a death wish because they walked in front of the taxi at least 5 times and they played chicken with the driver and one time he actually had to slam on the brakes because this group of Filipinos surely did not care that the taxi was bigger than they were and would surely kill them at the speed he was going, yet when he was within maybe 50 feet of them, they looked at him and still walked right in front of the taxi...... :wt-hell: I was amazed and thought maybe they just wanted to get to heaven as fast as they could and what better then during a holy week. :1 (103): Well next came the mall and it was a little crowded, but surely not the worst that I have seen and without trying to be funny, people did everything but hit me with a bat, th_fluch.gif some moved directly in my direction and it sure seemed like they were challenging me like the one group challenged the taxi earlier, or like they were tackles for a foot ball team....... SugarwareZ-267.gif I then told my wife that we should go eat and get home before I lost my temper and hit someone......We went into Sunburst and had a great meal and then I tried to go to the bathroom to wash my hands, two people tried to beat me to the door and then one went into the bathroom fast.....I figured maybe he just could not hold it since he never even closed the door and started to drain his chicken..... :wt-hell: I washed my hands and started to leave, only to be cut off by a guy in a Sunburst shirt, and we danced a little until he finally got out of my way....... :1 (72): So I sat back down and my wife decided to go to the CR only to come back and ask me why the men do not close the door to pee........I finally got to tell her what she always gets to tell me, :thumbsup:" THIS IS THE PHILIPPINES" and if many a Filipino can pee in the street without a problem in front of all the cars that drive by, why not in the men's room........ :D She just looked up and said "yup."OK, now to leave, I must have had a shirt on that said "move in my path as many times as possible" because between the restaurant and the door, I got cut off ten times or more and that does even count the ones who walked in front of me and just stopped short or were texting and then stopped short, as if they could not walk and text......Now we all know that is not the case because I have seen people texting with both hands and eating lunch too....... :bash: So it had to just be today, or at least I hope it was just today or that today was just a bad dream and if not, then I think I better get back on the next plane or find a witch to take the spell off me that my x-wife surely put on......... :any-help: OK, out the door and 3 people cut me off to the taxi stand and then two groups tried to steal my taxi, mind you we were the second in line, that is once on the line to get a cab, so WTF was going on......OK, so in the cab and again it was like dodge ball or dodge the taxi almost all the way until we got near our condo and then no more problems,....I think God was trying to tell me that I should stay in our condo or stay the heck out of the Philippines........ I hope not because I love it here most days and I sure hope today was a fluke because I usually love Filipinos.Anyone else have a bad day or was God just pissed at me today????

Edited by Mr. Lee

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hmmm...I thought all the things you mentioned were simply the Filipino 'culture' that I'm supposed to adapt to as a foreigner. My experience has been that Filipinos are very polite and friendly in face to face, personal settings, but if you are in public or amongst strangers they're very rude.

Edited by TheMason

mike
Posted
Posted

No its not just you.These days I am more than happy to say something.Usually its 'excuse me please can you stop being rude, thank you'They are so stunned they get rooted to the spot and just do not move for ages, it works for me especially when you do it with a smile on your face:) SugarwareZ-011.gif

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmmmm .... I find this perfectly normal .... except that I don't walk half as fast as you do so they have plenty of time to move to the side ..... yea .... I ain't no midget .... but I can honestly say that I have not had to stop and go around to many people here .... mostly older chubby women that glare at you .... but then they do that to everyone not just foreigners ...... law of averages says if you walk twice as fast as those around you you will either over take them or bump into those that are on coming ..... choice is yours ..... Now as to being rude ... how many times have you turned and said I'm sorry for bumping into some one or are you miles away before you can apologize ...... now remember ... be honest ..... I've walked with you ..... and you can be at the condo before I leave the restaurant ....... (I'm the one you have to keep looking back at to make sure I'm still there) I personally have not a thing to do that requires me to zip along at a fast pace like a bowling ball through a set of pins ..... yes I know walking fast is supposed to be good for your figure and heart but all the undue stress it causes you with the aggravation of your bumper car opponents is hardly worth it ...... Much easier for them to pass me by as I stroll along enjoying the pretty smiles and pleasant nods than to get my nickers in a wad trying to knock them over like bowling pins....... SugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gif As far as the disregard for traffic safety I would chalk that up to normal ..... :SugarwareZ-034:

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Hummmmmm .... I find this perfectly normal .... except that I don't walk half as fast as you do so they have plenty of time to move to the side ..... yea .... I ain't no midget .... but I can honestly say that I have not had to stop and go around to many people here .... mostly older chubby women that glare at you .... but then they do that to everyone not just foreigners ...... law of averages says if you walk twice as fast as those around you you will either over take them or bump into those that are on coming ..... choice is yours ..... Now as to being rude ... how many times have you turned and said I'm sorry for bumping into some one or are you miles away before you can apologize ...... now remember ... be honest ..... I've walked with you ..... and you can be at the condo before I leave the restaurant ....... (I'm the one you have to keep looking back at to make sure I'm still there) I personally have not a thing to do that requires me to zip along at a fast pace like a bowling ball through a set of pins ..... yes I know walking fast is supposed to be good for your figure and heart but all the undue stress it causes you with the aggravation of your bumper car opponents is hardly worth it ...... Much easier for them to pass me by as I stroll along enjoying the pretty smiles and pleasant nods than to get my nickers in a wad trying to knock them over like bowling pins....... SugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gif As far as the disregard for traffic safety I would chalk that up to normal ..... :SugarwareZ-034:
Mike did you ever get too close and accidently suck one into orbit around you. :13_4_10[1]: SugarwareZ-011.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hummmmmm .... I find this perfectly normal .... except that I don't walk half as fast as you do so they have plenty of time to move to the side ..... yea .... I ain't no midget .... but I can honestly say that I have not had to stop and go around to many people here .... mostly older chubby women that glare at you .... but then they do that to everyone not just foreigners ...... law of averages says if you walk twice as fast as those around you you will either over take them or bump into those that are on coming ..... choice is yours ..... Now as to being rude ... how many times have you turned and said I'm sorry for bumping into some one or are you miles away before you can apologize ...... now remember ... be honest ..... I've walked with you ..... and you can be at the condo before I leave the restaurant ....... (I'm the one you have to keep looking back at to make sure I'm still there) Yes, I walk fast but that is how I try to stay in shape, since I need all the help I can get. I always apologize if I bunk into anyone or even touch them or brush them as I go by, I cannot say the same for most of the Filipinos who have bunked into me. I would say that I get a sorry maybe one out of 10 times and it has not happened all that often but I have been in the Phils quite a bit in the last 15 years or so. I personally have not a thing to do that requires me to zip along at a fast pace like a bowling ball through a set of pins ..... yes I know walking fast is supposed to be good for your figure and heart but all the undue stress it causes you with the aggravation of your bumper car opponents is hardly worth it ...... It does not cause me any stress and in fact is good for my heart, as you pointed out, and besides this is the first time I became frustrated because it happened too many times in one day to be just a normal day here. Much easier for them to pass me by as I stroll along enjoying the pretty smiles and pleasant nods than to get my nickers in a wad trying to knock them over like bowling pins....... SugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gif As far as the disregard for traffic safety I would chalk that up to normal ..... :SugarwareZ-034:I really do not think yesterday was anything near normal and I think people were not thinking at all and were being even more careless than usual.
I think that Filipinos are taught good manners in school, or at least that is what my wife and others have told me, but it seems that many just forget what they have been taught once they leave school and go out into the real world.......If they were nicer all the time, more people would come, but then again, maybe many do not want any of us here and that would be short sighted on their part IMO.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have a different perspective I don

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Are some Filipinos without manners or is it that they just do not think about things like this?Today has been a really bad day for getting cut off...... :th_Good-Luck: I do not know if it is because so many people have Holy week on the mind or I was just unlucky today........ :13_4_10[1]: This morning we walked to a couple of banks for some banking we needed to do since the banks were closed yesterday and they will be closed Thursday to Monday........... While walking, people just walked in front of us just about everywhere we went as if we were invisible or maybe it was get the kano day, and not one person was courteous at all and not even in the banks except the employees...... :SugarwareZ-034: Then we got into a taxi and headed for SM to go to Veco to fix another possible problem that luckily turned out OK...... :13_4_10[1]: On the way to SM and in the taxi, people must have had a death wish because they walked in front of the taxi at least 5 times and they played chicken with the driver and one time he actually had to slam on the brakes because this group of Filipinos surely did not care that the taxi was bigger than they were and would surely kill them at the speed he was going, yet when he was within maybe 50 feet of them, they looked at him and still walked right in front of the taxi...... :wt-hell: I was amazed and thought maybe they just wanted to get to heaven as fast as they could and what better then during a holy week. :1 (103): Well next came the mall and it was a little crowded, but surely not the worst that I have seen and without trying to be funny, people did everything but hit me with a bat, th_fluch.gif some moved directly in my direction and it sure seemed like they were challenging me like the one group challenged the taxi earlier, or like they were tackles for a foot ball team....... SugarwareZ-267.gif I then told my wife that we should go eat and get home before I lost my temper and hit someone......We went into Starburst and had a great meal and then I tried to go to the bathroom to wash my hands, two people tried to beat me to the door and then one went into the bathroom fast.....I figured maybe he just could not hold it since he never even closed the door and started to drain his chicken..... :wt-hell: I washed my hands and started to leave, only to be cut off by a guy in a Starburst shirt, and we danced a little until he finally got out of my way....... :1 (72): So I sat back down and my wife decided to go to the CR only to come back and ask me why the men do not close the door to pee........I finally got to tell her what she always gets to tell me, :thumbsup: " THIS IS THE PHILIPPINES" and if many a Filipino can pee in the street without a problem in front of all the cars that drive by, why not in the men's room........ :D She just looked up and said "yup."OK, now to leave, I must have had a shirt on that said "move in my path as many times as possible" because between the restaurant and the door, I got cut off ten times or more and that does even count the ones who walked in front of me and just stopped short or were texting and then stopped short, as if they could not walk and text......Now we all know that is not the case because I have seen people texting with both hands and eating lunch too....... :bash: So it had to just be today, or at least I hope it was just today or that today was just a bad dream and if not, then I think I better get back on the next plane or find a witch to take the spell off me that my x-wife surely put on......... :any-help: OK, out the door and 3 people cut me off to the taxi stand and then two groups tried to steal my taxi, mind you we were the second in line, that is once on the line to get a cab, so WTF was going on......OK, so in the cab and again it was like dodge ball or dodge the taxi almost all the way until we got near our condo and then no more problems,....I think God was trying to tell me that I should stay in our condo or stay the heck out of the Philippines........ I hope not because I love it here most days and I sure hope today was a fluke because I usually love Filipinos.Anyone else have a bad day or was God just pissed at me today????
Sounds to me that you should watch where your walking SugarwareZ-011.gif

Mik
Posted
Posted

No matter where you go, there they are.i_see_dumb_people.jpg