Alcohol And Tobacco Price Increases

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In the provinces, the number of moonshiners will increase proportional to the "sin tax" imposed by the government. Liquor will be sold under the counter at the Sari-Sari stores. The government will have to increase the number of police officers to go after the violators. So where's the additional revenues? I won't bother to mention about cigarettes because the manufacturers are familiar with all the tricks.

Last night, they featured an interesting example on MSNBC. About 20 years ago, the US Congress passed a "sin tax" on luxury yachts. Yacht builders all over the United States started shutting down and laying off their employees because consumers were not willing to pay the exorbitant tax. The really wealthy went to Europe to get their yachts build since the tax was on yachts manufactured in the United States. New revenues were zero. Actually, it went negative because of the employees in the thousands who were laid off and the businesses that shut down. At least they eventually got rid of the tax and the industry recovered, but the recovery took more than five years.

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am Bob 99.9% the sari-sari stores here dont pay taxes, theyre often not much more than the size of a broom closet with a few things for sale, But somewhere up their supply line a store IS big enough that theyre being taxed ..those stores are starting to add the tax to the price for cigerettes and booze and so affects the cost to the sari-sari..not like home where you need a business liscence , here all you need is a barred window to do business thru .

Edited by Bigdog
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I kind of realized that a while after I wrote it... I was thinking more of how it works here at home...

Sometimes I am such a Bob... :bash:

• Like 3

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

Youre not in Kansas( or Canada) any more lol... well hopefully soon you wont be :).. just remember to leave your logic at home, here it will just fustrate you hahahhaha...gotta go with the flow , things work here just NOT the way we are used to.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
At the moment I don`t care of the increase in tobacco prices as
I dont smoke NOR drink & rarely do i purchase "alcohol" w/my dinner(maybe 1x every 2 yrs)

if you cant afford the newer prices

perhaps its time to give them up or return back to your home country and PAY their "low"prices for these "SIN "products

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mr Pittman, you gone and done it again!

It's still so much cheaper than it is in the "Old World"...

:tiphat:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In the provinces, the number of moonshiners will increase proportional to the "sin tax" imposed by the government.

I don't know if it can increase much in some provinces :) A Filipina from Samar said concerning situation BEFORE the SIN tax:

-My father stoped making wine of coco sap for selling, because my mother drunk it all :hystery:

but it's a lot of alcohol produced here anyway.

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

I can tell you first hand that for beers there is no increase in tax at all. San Miguel put the price up on there beers at the start of November so definitely no sin tax there!! Im sure most places that sold relatively cheap already put prices up on the beers at that time unless they were already charging way over the top, Im sure most places will still take advantage of all the TV and news articles about the new sin tax to increase further.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I have read some place and now cant verify the story ,

that part of the SIN TAX increase is(was) to help the Philhealth & public health .

. again what is said and then actually done is 2 completely different things

• Like 1

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted

500+ now here in Mindanao for 200 cigs malboro, was 330 last visit, but still a hell of a lot cheaper than in UK, 500 pesos would buy 20 in the UK lol

was at the fiancee`s familys farm yesterday, 100 peso now for big bottle of devil juice - TANDUAY , i buy it for them but have a couple of glasses to be sociable.. :cheersty:

• Like 1