Alcohol And Tobacco Price Increases

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So, just over $2 (Canadian of course) for a bottle of rum... Oh the pain! :mocking: Now I'm sure for many Filipinos, this is probably very expensive but I can't see anyone on here having much of a complaint, can we? And the cigarette prices are about the same here - as in the UK, I meant!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
And the cigarette prices are about the same here - as in the UK,

You don't quote the cost Bob, for cigarettes there, in the UK, it is an Average of 5.50 ponds per pack. That's around 8.70 Canadian. NO! I can't see anyone complaining :mocking: they will of course, cos we are all getting used to PI prices, the latest increase is a big one, then it is election year, so they have to fund it from Somewhere. Naughty Naughty. They will tell you, they ARE transparent. yeah, so are my tinted windows.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
things work here

My friend, this little statement is so true, don't know why or how but things surely, Do work :thumbs-up-smile:

:tiphat:

• Like 1

retired
Posted
Posted

Can't speak for Cebu area but here in Northern Mindanao prices on smokes have risen from 5 - 40 % + . In other words whatever the retailer can get away with as was suspected . There have been no alcohol price increases as yet but according to at least one local expat business owner BIR is having problem trying to determine how to implement that part of the tax increase . Seems the issue is about alcohol content per product as tax is/was to be higher for the more potent beverages . Have noticed that beers sold here do not list the alcohol % per container and always wondered why . Especially since some beers ( Redhorse) swear theirs is stronger , by far .. :-)

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

Well they won't be collecting much Sin Tax on cigarettes in Davao. Two of the main supermarkets have had no stock since Christmas.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
And the cigarette prices are about the same here - as in the UK,

You don't quote the cost Bob, for cigarettes there, in the UK, it is an Average of 5.50 ponds per pack. That's around 8.70 Canadian. NO! I can't see anyone complaining :mocking: they will of course, cos we are all getting used to PI prices, the latest increase is a big one, then it is election year, so they have to fund it from Somewhere. Naughty Naughty. They will tell you, they ARE transparent. yeah, so are my tinted windows.

I believe your packs are 20s? Our regular Canadian brands are about the same or higher. I have been smoking a discount brand lately (only when I drink) that I can get for $6.50. Most people buy the 25 paks which are well over $10 depending on brand or as low as $8 for the discount brand. And to be honest? The discount brands are not very good. I guess I could always go out to the Reserve and get a bag (carton's worth) for $15 though.

As for complaints? Yeah, we (ex-pats) will complain and I will probably have some of my own to add to the list somewhere down the road. We just have to remember that we could be back in our homelands and that the good people of the Philippines are letting us enjoy their beautiful island, people and economy. I"m a firm believer in the old adage "If you don't like it, then leave" for all the people moving to Canada and trying to change the system to suit them. I hope I don't become on of them on my move to the Philippines.

An increase in taxes was inevitable. They could have chosen to tax something else but I think they did the right thing in taxing the products that fall under the SIN label. That money would greatly benefit the country - especially if it was all put into health care and helping the poor. So would the money Enrile gave out to the various senators at Christmas. I wonder how much of that is going to be used in helping their constituents or will that be used for their re-election campaign? Notice that it was only members of his party that got the millions? Ok, I think I'm getting a little too political here. But I do have one last question... How dark is the tint to your windows? If you know what I mean...

:mocking:

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

According to the sin tax, the price of cigarettes should increase very little yet prices went up more than 50% in some stores. That seems to be the issue that most are having. It's a complete ripoff by either the retailers or wholesalers.

And we all know that not a peso of this money will help any poor Filipino. It will be stolen by the crooks to get themselves reelected. In fact that's the real reason it's called a sin tax.

• Like 1

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted

I`ll be shopping around a few malls to see the difference in price hikes, i have only checked Guisano Mall so far !

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Now when was the last time some politician said "NO NEW TAXES!" and found that to be true?

So when they say nothing about taxes? I guess that's a good sign to start shakin' in your boots!

:mocking:

As for the stores that have gone up more than others? Amazing how rich the owners of the store are, isn't it? Yet people (in general) keep going back to give them more pesos when they can get the same thing somewhere else so much cheaper!

Markham
Posted
Posted
the price of cigarettes should increase very little yet prices went up more than 50% in some stores. That seems to be the issue that most are having. It's a complete ripoff by either the retailers or wholesalers.

Well Mae bought a pack of 20 locally-produced Marlboro Lights this afternoon. The pre-Sin Tax price was P20-22 but she had to pay P100! :angry: . That is a total rip-off. Problem is that none of the supermarkets and convenience stores here in Davao have any stock of any brands, so it's very much a seller's market.

• Like 1