Alcohol And Tobacco Price Increases

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I wonder what will happen once the stores are all stocked again.... Price war?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In my visits last year I was paying p40 for a pack of 20 Marlboro. With the sin tax the local sari sari is asking p60.

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Have noticed that beers sold here do not list the alcohol % per container and always wondered why . Especially since some beers ( Redhorse) swear theirs is stronger , by far .. :-)

MY Redhorse bottle says 6.9%. :cheersty:

I am Bob 99.9% the sari-sari stores here dont pay taxes...

Yeah, I kind of realized that a while after I wrote it... I was thinking more of how it works here at home...

A sari-sari store is a micro-enterprise but that does not mean you do not need a business permit to operate it. :photo-109:

You are not such a Bob after all. :th_hu:

• Like 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
You are not such a Bob after all.

Yes he is and we love him for it !!!

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Interesting topic. Well I gave up smoking about 6 months ago due to the cost going to about $17-20AUD for a pack of 30's of the brand I smoked. I guess it's all relative and what we're used to.

6.9% alcohol in Redhorse?? Damn, that explains the experience years ago in Barrio Barretto just outside Olongapo! Admittedly I'm a bit of a light weight drinker (cheap date) but I remember not being able to scratch myself and then waking up inside a monkey cage the next morning where the girls at the Night Rider bar had locked me for my own safety! Not sure what I did but they did give me a blanket and pillow and locked my wallet in the safe :)

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Well, i was paying P62 for a San Mig Grande at the local Sari Sari here in Carcar. I'm now paying P65. I don't think that's gonna break the bank. :cheersty:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Funny thing... By today's exchange that's about $1.60 Canadian. I can buy beer here at the Beer Store cheaper. Maybe not one at a time but... Now at the bar, that's a different story! About $5 Cdn I think... I always go for a pint on tap which is around the same price but more in the glass.

Anyway, my point is - prices are going up in the Philippines and the Dollar is coming down. Todays exchange is Canadian $1 = Philippine Peso 40.5906. And only a couple weeks ago we were in the P42 range...

:SugarwareZ-034:

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Funny thing... By today's exchange that's about $1.60 Canadian. I can buy beer here at the Beer Store cheaper. Maybe not one at a time but... Now at the bar, that's a different story! About $5 Cdn I think... I always go for a pint on tap which is around the same price but more in the glass.

Anyway, my point is - prices are going up in the Philippines and the Dollar is coming down. Todays exchange is Canadian $1 = Philippine Peso 40.5906. And only a couple weeks ago we were in the P42 range...

Mate I think if you balance everything, depending on the lifestyle you're after, I think we can cope with the price rise :)

But I know that's from the perspective of someone that is living in a country that's dollar is actually going up in real terms. Even against the pound and Euro we're at record highs here. I think it has a lot to do with markets realising that the USD should not be the standard anymore; I think even our most parochial American friends know how bad their currency is. The Euro is not much better off given the situation in Spain, Greece and anyone else that's looking for an IMF bailout (which, incidentally historically has never been successful since the 1970's(It's first try at fu&*ing it up) - sorry, cut government spending and guess what happens? Unemployment rises, chronic disease rises (due to the cut in public health - the US is fairly unique in the western world in it's policy of if you can't pay for it you die) and infant mortality goes up) and the economy actually tanks. In the markets there has been whisperings either the Canadian dollar, the Chinese Yuan, the German Mark or the Australian dollar being set at the new standard; My money is on the Chinese personally. They're going to rule the world in 20 years economically anyway.

I was going to mention something about the oil standard but it's late, I've had a few and can't be bothered explaining the false economy that that's become.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Mate I think if you balance everything, depending on the lifestyle you're after, I think we can cope with the price rise :)

But I know that's from the perspective of someone that is living in a country that's dollar is actually going up in real terms. Even against the pound and Euro we're at record highs here. I think it has a lot to do with markets realising that the USD should not be the standard anymore; I think even our most parochial American friends know how bad their currency is. The Euro is not much better off given the situation in Spain, Greece and anyone else that's looking for an IMF bailout (which, incidentally historically has never been successful since the 1970's(It's first try at fu&*ing it up) - sorry, cut government spending and guess what happens? Unemployment rises, chronic disease rises (due to the cut in public health - the US is fairly unique in the western world in it's policy of if you can't pay for it you die) and infant mortality goes up) and the economy actually tanks. In the markets there has been whisperings either the Canadian dollar, the Chinese Yuan, the German Mark or the Australian dollar being set at the new standard; My money is on the Chinese personally. They're going to rule the world in 20 years economically anyway.

I was going to mention something about the oil standard but it's late, I've had a few and can't be bothered explaining the false economy that that's become.

Hey Brett,

Spoken like an economics professor who realize that the real and future economic status are

measured at the street level, where it really counts. Forget about graphs predicted by super

computers and talking heads on TV, the US dollar went over the fiscal cliff a long time ago.

Your acute understanding of world economics is probably based on your experiences as being

a manager of multiple adult stores. I would be rich by now from all the deposits I made to my

local sperm bank but unfortunately for the last decade or so, my return of investment is under

water, so to speak. I guess my little swimmers all drowned....he, he.

I get no respect sometimes -- Jake

• Like 4

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Brett, with all due respect, you are wrong on all points. Since the forum rules don't allow political rants, I will not point out the errors in your thinking. However, If you bet on the Chinese Yuan or any other currency, you will lose your money. The Chinese economy is headed south and it will lead by a real estate collapse that will make the U.S. recession pale in comparison.

Lastly, I would like to know who in the U.S. has died because they could not pay for medical care? I challenge you to name one.

• Like 3