Dealing With Heat Stroke

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wednesday, April 08, 2009Burning inside Dealing with heat stroke By Perry Gil S. Mallari, Reporter, The Manila TimesIts symptoms may vary from the inability to perspire, to confusion, to headache and eventually to fainting. Heatstroke is a serious medical condition that could afflict both children and adults. In the Philippines, where the heat could reach as much as 40 degrees Celsius during summer, the danger of heatstroke is most apparent. Heat stroke may strike after a fit of heat exhaustion resulting from prolonged exposure to intense sunlight or high temperature. Alejandro Timbol, an emergency medical technician at the Quezon City, City Rescue Department says that difficulty of breathing, a notable increase in blood pressure and the reddening of the skin are among the most common symptoms of heat stroke. The apparent blushing of the skin is the result of the dilation of blood vessels as the body

Edited by M.Morey

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good point!Alcohol and coffee are diuretics, I found this out the hard way one time. Foreigners are not used to the heat in SE Asia. Diabetes can also cause problems. The trick is to drink bottled water all day before you feel thirsty as to not become dehydrated.

Mik
Posted
Posted

When I was building my house in Cebu, sometimes my weight would be three pounds less in the evening. It's amazing how much water you can lose sweating. Wear a broad brim hat and drink lots of fluids. I prefer drinking San Mig Light if I am working outside. If a person comes to the Philippines from winter in a temperate climate they should try to let their body adjust slowly to the heat.