Psoriasis Cream ?

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted

Howdi all, i suffer from Psoriasis, in the UK its totally under control, but here in Manila its broken out really bad, i guess this is mainly due to the traffic pollution ( or stress with paperwork for wedding :P ), i have forgot to bring any cream(s) that i use in the UK, does anyone know if i can get similar creams here in phills ? either over the counter or getting something prescribed ?

thxx in advance !

sorry if this is in wrong forum..

Markham
Posted
Posted

Creams and ointments including Diprosalic, Synalar and Dermovate are available over the counter; that's the good news. The bad news is that you won't find a tube containing more than 10 grams or, in the case of Dermovate, 5 grams and the prices are very high.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

My wife says try calcipotoriene or a liquid solution salicylic acid,( medical name of that is alpha-hydroxy,) from the pharmacy, she says not too expensive, and dont worry because its non infectious.

• Like 1

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted

Hi fellas, Markham i use something in uk called Dovobate ( im sure thats what its called ) maybe similar to dermabate i`ll do a little research on this thxx..

and im sure Brock they use salicylic acid in Head & Shoulders which works for me when i have an outbreak on my scalp !

thx again for your suggestions, i thought i would be ok when i got to Mindanao as i left some here in the fridge last feb, but nope fiancee`s sister has thrown it out lol :bash:

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted
Dermovate

Dermovate ointment is more greasy than the cream. It is more suitable for very dry, scaly areas of skin, whereas moist or weepy skin is best treated with the cream

Diprosalic

Diprosalic ointment contains two active ingredients, betamethasone dipropionate and salicylic acid ( which Brock mentioned )

i`ll see whats available here in Mindanao, but fingers crossed i can get my hands on some Dermovate ointment !!

Markham
Posted
Posted

My wife says try calcipotoriene or a liquid solution salicylic acid,( medical name of that is alpha-hydroxy,) from the pharmacy, she says not too expensive, and dont worry because its non infectious.

I'm pretty sure salicylic acid is a "beta-hydroxy" - well that's what Wikipedia states :) . When I've asked for this at our local Watsons Pharmacy, I'm told it's not available.

Your wife's recommendation for Calciptoriene is a good one as its a non-steroidal treatment. I'm trying to avoid preparations such as Dermovate and Diprosalic since, being steroidal, they can cause significant thinning of the skin over time.

Just as an aside, the last time I was in the UK and had an outbreak, my GP tried to arrange an appointment with a consultant Dematologist after telling me that the "latest and greatest" treatment now being used is chemotherapy. I returned to the Philippines without seeing him - there being a 6 month waiting list; chemo is not a form of treatment I would wish to have.

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted

nor i Mark, mines is totally under control in uk, just few days in manila then its back with a bang, can only think of the pollution as the main cause, once mines does flare up its a sturborn strain ( so my doc says ) normally i go for UV light therapy treatment few times a week and its gone for 6mths or so..

anyways got my hands on some Dermovate ointment, like you says 5grams tube for 295 pesos, luckily my bodys not covered or it would last 1 night lol, got this from mercury drug store incase anyones interested..

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
normally i go for UV light therapy treatment few times a week

I suppose you can get "UV light therapy" by the SUN more often in Phils than in the UK :dance:

I know many with psoriasis goes to Spain and such countries to lay in the sun for treatment.

I'm pretty sure salicylic acid is a "beta-hydroxy" - well that's what Wikipedia states . When I've asked for this at our local Watsons Pharmacy, I'm told it's not available.

Do I mix it up with something with similar name, or isn't it the same acid as some common - non recepie even in restricted Sweden - pain meds have, which assists which some types of heart problems too? If so, I suppose such can be used for psoriasis purpuse too by crushing them and put them in water. Just an idea :) if not finding the normal med.

Product name "Aspirin" perhaps other names too.

---

Here are some nature meds available in the food market :)

http://www.healingfo.../psoriasis.html

Edited by Thomas

brock
Posted
Posted
I'm pretty sure salicylic acid is a "beta-hydroxy"

Your right Mark, I got it wrong, its all Greek to me :no:

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted
normally i go for UV light therapy treatment few times a week

I suppose you can get "UV light therapy" by the SUN more often in Phils than in the UK :dance:

I know many with psoriasis goes to Spain and such countries to lay in the sun for treatment.

Exactly, but not when i was in pollution city that is Manila, im here now in Mindanao but not much sun since i arrived yesterday hehee,,