Balikbayan Box....

buttercup1984
Posted
Posted

I'm here in colorado right now for a visit....anyways i have few items here that i need to ship, i found a few companies like forex, atlas, and manila forwarder which all charges about $110 per BB, big steep from lbc prices in california of $55.

I decided to ship my 24 inch lcd from here, i already sold my 40 inch in philippines and dont feel like buying another one.

When forex came to my house for pick up, my box was still open and they saw the tv inside, automatically they said i have to pay $75 import tax for used television. I didnt know this @_@

So I'm thinking of using a different company to ship my box with the tv inside, of course making sure it's tape and ready this time so they can't see. Do I have to declare the tv? I have no idea of all the new laws and changes they added so any advice would be great if i should go for it

Thanks!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The secret is to be imprecise with your inventory list. Just use vague words like, "Used Clothes" or "Houshold Goods" or "Pocketbooks". Never include words like, "Television" or "Computer". Don't forget to seal the box with tape before the arrival of the pick-up van.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

When I shipped my 46 inch via LBC there was no extra charge because it was a tv, they based it on the dimensions of the box. Since I shipped it in the original carton, labeling it "household goods" wouldn't really fool anyone. I have heard that some shippers are charging an extra fee for shipping HDTVs. A 24 in is pretty small, unless you'e shipping other things with it I don't think it's worth it. You can get pretty good deals in the Philippines on the smaller sets, it's the larger ones they really get you.

buttercup1984
Posted
Posted (edited)
A 24 in is pretty small, unless you'e shipping other things with it I don't think it's worth it. You can get pretty good deals in the Philippines on the smaller sets, it's the larger ones they really get you. Like This

I'm shipping other things in the box. I know there are good deals in Philippines for small tv, but why would i buy a small one there...they have tons of displays of tv's at the store and im bound to end up getting a huge tv that'll cost too much...happens to me every freaking time when i see something better while shopping. This is why i want to ship the small one so i wont have the chance to want to get a bigger tv....that i dont need which will save me lol....

I heard that every boxes are now scanned by homeland security? and that if you dont declare every item and they see it in the box you're in trouble or something, is this true? or are they just looking to make sure there's nothing illegal inside? i never sent electronics before and so i never had to deal with this

Edited by buttercup1984

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I heard that every boxes are now scanned by homeland security? and that if you dont declare every item and they see it in the box you're in trouble or something, is this true? or are they just looking to make sure there's nothing illegal inside? i never sent electronics before and so i never had to deal with this

They don't publicize their procedures but from what I have read they do random scans of outbound cargo looking for weapons and illegal substances, not TVs.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I shipped a 51" samsung lcd 2 months ago in the original box. It cost me $250 to send it but the box was so big I had enough room to put 2 or 3 Balikbayan boxes worth of stuff down the sides, All soft stuff of course but well worth it. I have never wrote down what is in the box in all the time I have been sending these boxes.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
i found a few companies like forex, atlas, and manila forwarder which all charges about $110 per BB, big steep from lbc prices in california of $55.

humm.???

in california its only $55 yet in colorado its $110.00.

could it be :89:

1.that it has more of a distance to travel from Co to CA? :89:

2.less competition in colorado,

3. have you considered what the cost would be if you did it ALL YOURSELF and sent it to the "west coast"shipping center?

over all you are getting 1 of the best bargins to ship goods from A to B. :th_interesting:

When forex came to my house for pick up, my box was still open and they saw the tv inside, automatically they said i have to pay $75 import tax for used television.

Dont even consider paying it, You will never get a refund on that money

why did they say a tax exist?

1. they really dont know what the rules of the BOX are.

2. to other parts of the world YES a IMPORT tax may apply

like JJR said, use vague words of your contents,

also make sure you TAPE the BOX well........

in another post/topic on Balikbayan box 1 person had a box in a box to reduce theft,

as these people would 'wet" an corner to gain entery ,bend back the cardboard to insert hand

. if you plan to ship any "Food products" make sure they are WELL SEALED

as not to attract ants,bugs etc

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

When I shipped my 46 inch via LBC there was no extra charge because it was a tv, they based it on the dimensions of the box. Since I shipped it in the original carton, labeling it "household goods" wouldn't really fool anyone. I have heard that some shippers are charging an extra fee for shipping HDTVs. A 24 in is pretty small, unless you'e shipping other things with it I don't think it's worth it. You can get pretty good deals in the Philippines on the smaller sets, it's the larger ones they really get you.

LBC in Los Angeles was very restrictive on what they would accept when I called them in October. I have a feeling that they got busted and/or they are being very careful about accepting anything that might trigger an outbound container inspection at the port. If hat happens they have to absorb the cost of the inspection.

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

I was just at the main office of Atlas Shippers here in Southern California yesterday to pick up some additional boxes and they welcomed me into the main warehouse area. I have been using these folks since 2006 and they have always come through with excellent service and my wife and I have had not problems with anything being damaged or 'gone missing'. No problems on the Philippines side as well.

They are not the least expensive but they are very professional and for me, gives me a sense of comfort that they are taking care of me. They do not 'co-mingle' their boxes with other shippers and have their own containers. This way I think they have greater control at both ends of the distribution system - allowing them to make sure what they are sending meets the different authority agencies rules, policies and restrictions as well as providing "whatever is needed" on the Customs end. They also have a large presence in Manila.

Users are required to pay for the boxes but in my mind it is well worth it. I just checked to make sure that I am correct in reporting they are the double wall style of box making them very heavy duty. Since payment is not based on weight, all the better. I have to admit that even tho I am a big guy, some of the boxes in the past I could barely move, let alone pick up...had to slide them around! :hystery:

I saw hundreds of boxes they were preparing for shipment (palletizing etc) in a variety of sizes, including some big screen tvs.

I saw boxes taped up usingh all sorts of types of tape including duct tape.

Although it costs more to do so, I use the heavier packing tape with my applicator and I tape every square inch of each box, doubling up the tape on the bottom and top and well as all edges. This provides greater strength and acts as a barrier against any type of liquid getting into our boxes. This can happen because some people have liquid items they are sending leak or break open and drip n' spoil any nearby boxes. I have read that some box senders start by placing a large plastic bag inside their boxes to prevent liquid damage. This is another good suggestion.

Well, speaking of boxes, I need to go back to packing and filling 5 Macho boxes plus some smaller ones (promo - free to send - more to buy and pack) so wish me luck!

Oh, when I asked yesterday about the estimated timeline for port to port container shipment, they told me it is 30 days currently (Los Angeles/Long Beach to Manila). Any questions, shoot me a message.

Cheers~~

*Hmmmm....now, where did my wife put the 4 dozen cans of SPAM* :89:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
including some big screen tvs

Can you ask them what their rate is for the large tv's?

An agent for another company in Cincinnati said they were shipping lots of TVs and said the "import tax" was $100, similar to what was mentioned above. This particular agent I found to be trustworthy so I think it is legit.

I don't really care who gets the "tax" if I can save some money getting a big screen.

Where is the Atlas office in LA?