nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

God bless you Bruce !

• Like 3

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

I am in line with Nor Cal Mike - Thank You Bruce and Thank You Phil!

Bruce - what does a sack of rice cost currently?

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

The sack that my staff bought was 1690p. However, and now keep in mind that I as a Kano, have no idea on the quality of rice and I have gone 5+ years off and on in my life without eating any rice. My staff says that you can buy 'old stock' rice and lesser quality rice for as litle as 1400p per sack and up to 2,000p a sack for the best stuff (that is available out on Samar).

My friend Phil donated $50 and the rice (at 40p per $1 for easy math) was about $42 and the ATM fee of $2 so the staff got about $6 for their trouble.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

once it has been given to the people how long would it last, or will it be cooked and eaten in that day

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Depends on how many people inthe family and how many 'friends' show up that heard you got free rice! 1 sack will feed 5 people for 2 weeks depending on how much they eat.

I am sure there are some Pinays on the forum who can give a better and more detailed answer.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

if someone was to give to your charity and donate through paypay, who decides where it goes and what to buy with it, what you have shown us in this thread is someone gave you some money for rice so could someone say here is x amount of money i would like you to buy a sack of rice per month is this how you work it, sorry to ask these questions but if you dont ask you never will now,

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

It is very easy! Go to the website below in my sign off area and use the paypal button and send a note with the paypal about what you want to do with it. If you want pics showing your name as proof the rice was delivered, no problem. Also you can decide to feed 1 family or divide in 5 sacks of 10k each. Your choice.

Here is the actual breakdown:

Paypal get 2.5% of the donation as their fee. ATM fees are about $2.00 and remember the conversion rate is a bit less than the published rate, which is another way the Philippine bank makes money. If you want to provide anything for the staff, add in a add it in too. I get nothing! As usual LOL.... So $50 to $55 per sack is about break even with the staff doing the distribution, depending on the conversion rate and the price of rice.

If you are in the US, the PayPal donation is tax deductible! Send me a PM and I will give you the email address of the family running the charity for me and you can communicate directly with them and plan out for donation.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The sack that my staff bought was 1690p. However, and now keep in mind that I as a Kano, have no idea on the quality of rice and I have gone 5+ years off and on in my life without eating any rice. My staff says that you can buy 'old stock' rice and lesser quality rice for as litle as 1400p per sack and up to 2,000p a sack for the best stuff (that is available out on Samar).

It depends of supplier and season compared to harvests too. A small kano-filipina sarisari shop retailer paid more earlier, but after geting a better supplier through contacts, he got a sack of normal quality rice for 1400p. Perhaps the center can make a supplier count them as "retailer" :) although they give it away.

once it has been given to the people how long would it last, or will it be cooked and eaten in that day

10 kg is rather much. Because it's dried it become more weight when cooking it, making it some over 100 normal meals. But if they can, they want to eat 3 rice meals per day, and they can be many in a family, so 10 kg can be finnished rather soon.

• Like 1