Expat Whos Moved And Returned

relcarve25
Posted
Posted

2. Filipino parents bring up their children from birth to be their 'Pension Plan.' I think this is dreadfully unfair on their children who deserve to be able to make their own way in life without the enormous boulder of parental need hung around their necks. So many children are told that it is their duty and obligation to support their parents in old age

and to sacrifice their own chances of happiness and family life to provide for the education of numerous siblings which their parents chose to bring into the world. 

Well. I agree about the GREEN part IF some of them are just lazy,

BUT what's wrong with:

2a. Education are paid by other family members for (one of) the oldest siblings. After get higher pay by that, then finance education for next sibling and so on?  Many poor farmer families have managed to give all siblings (with brain for studies) College/university educations by such!

:)

Sorry! Still not used to the 'Quote' system. My 'bad.'

RED part;  Sounds fine the way you write it but it's not an ideal world- I have experienced many examples where this may have been the good intentioned original plan. Unfortunately too often the first sibling in line is the ONLY one to get a decent job. The next 5-10 siblings are a mixture of lazy, unlucky and none get the necessary 'good' job for years. The first child is lumbered for many years with helping his parents and being expected to finance the others as they 'come on line.' I've seen this happen many times. The eldest doesn't get a chance to establish his own life! 

So many children are told that it is their duty and obligation to support their parents in old age

Purple part.   It's great if children, of their own free will, love their parents and want to help them in their old age if they can.  My gripe is when, as does happen, the children are 'indoctrinated' into this way of thinking. I know many examples of this. They are 'morally blackmailed' into giving priority to helping their parents and sibling instead of prioritising their own wife and children, and helping others if they are able.  Chris McG.

relcarve25
Posted
Posted

It has not been that many generations since it was the same way in our own countries - as our parents and grandparents got older, the family looked after them.  

As I am immortal, I will require many generations of my family to look after my well-being.  That includes yearly trips between the Philippines and Canada, imported Canadian Angus beef for daily meals and the finest champagne available.  After all, in the Philippines, it is the law....!

:mocking:

Hi Bob! As you are Canadian it's a pity you didn't  stop your countrymen and woman from removing Canada from the greedy clutches of the British Queen's Commonwealth. (Damn good job you did, by the way.) Then you could have applied for an honorary adoption by the UK Royal Family and live your life in luxury, avoiding taxes and getting handouts from ALL the British taxpayers. :mocking:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

2. Filipino parents bring up their children from birth to be their 'Pension Plan.' I think this is dreadfully unfair on their children who deserve to be able to make their own way in life without the enormous boulder of parental need hung around their necks. So many children are told that it is their duty and obligation to support their parents in old age

and to sacrifice their own chances of happiness and family life to provide for the education of numerous siblings which their parents chose to bring into the world. 

Well. I agree about the GREEN part IF some of them are just lazy,

BUT what's wrong with:

2a. Education are paid by other family members for (one of) the oldest siblings. After get higher pay by that, then finance education for next sibling and so on?  Many poor farmer families have managed to give all siblings (with brain for studies) College/university educations by such!

:)

Sorry! Still not used to the 'Quote' system. My 'bad.'

RED part;  Sounds fine the way you write it but it's not an ideal world- I have experienced many examples where this may have been the good intentioned original plan. Unfortunately too often the first sibling in line is the ONLY one to get a decent job. The next 5-10 siblings are a mixture of lazy, unlucky and none get the necessary 'good' job for years. The first child is lumbered for many years with helping his parents and being expected to finance the others as they 'come on line.' I've seen this happen many times. The eldest doesn't get a chance to establish his own life! 

Corect, in many families some don't have the skill/moral to develop themselves,

BUT if the oldest one hadn't got assistance from the family to get education, then he most likely would have been "stucked" with a work earning only 5000-7000 (or even been without work) so no big difference concerning chance to establish his own life anyway.

-- 

Btw no huge difference from (the future in) some developed countries as e g Sweden, where the working part of the population don't even have that choise, because it's expected to finance the rest of the population through taxes  :)   which become harder and harder the older the population become, making biger and biger part being retired. The Swedish primeminister has even told he think the retirement age better be raised to 75 years old, although we have among the highest retirement ages (65) allready... 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So many children are told that it is their duty and obligation to support their parents in old age

Not only is it their Duty, it is a legal, responsibility, here in the PI

As i said before in another Post, had my parents still been around, I would have done for love. Respect even, for the years of aggravation and heartache I know that I gave them

:tiphat:

• Like 1

relcarve25
Posted
Posted

So many children are told that it is their duty and obligation to support their parents in old age

As i said before in another Post, had my parents still been around, I would have done for love. Respect even, for the years of aggravation and heartache I know that I gave them

Hi! - That's certainly interesting that it is a 'legal requirement' for children to support their parents in the Philippines.  Like you I was fortunate in having loving parents and I would have helped them financially if I had needed to do so- or had been able to..It is a natural thing to love your parents in all cultures but these bonds of love can often be abused by desperation or greed. As a specific example I have encountered many OFW's who spend many lonely years away from their families, and are unable to establish a nuclear family of their own. In many cases this love and trust is abused by the recipients who simply treat the sacrifice as a 'Benefit entitlement.'   Chris McG.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes. I find that law OK, when parents have RETIRED (asuming the parents have sacrified much to raise the child)

BUT problem the law include siblings too...

I have read that law several times, and have found NOT need to pay to siblings who don't do their best, but I don't find anything about minimum level or such (compared to them who pay) because concerns foreign husbands too. Anyone seen any court case or something talking about demanded minimum level or such?