Expat Whos Moved And Returned

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I hope it can be solved by paying for what they DO not paying per day. (=Pay for EXPECTED needed time, UNDEPENDING of time spend. Then I suppouse they will finnish fast I mean when it's easy enough to define minimum quality, and what's fair time needed. When I need much work done, it can be an alternative to give first job on trial and TELL he/she will get more work IF it's made good and fast enough. But it's harder now with my injury. Before I just show workers how fast I could do things myself, and it could have been lose face for them if an old man do it faster than them

No, that is western thinking and does not work. I tried it when I built the boarding house. Much better to not try confuse them with 'piece work' or a bonus for time saved. You will just get frustrated.

On the positive side, I had up to 11 workers working all day at less than $50 a day depending on their pay scale as skilled worker or not skilled.

SO DO NOT TRY TO RE INVENT THE PHILIPPINE WHEEL! Just hire a guy to run the show for you and you deal with him. They have been building before you were born and will be building after you die. Just go with the flow, add in extra rebar to suit and you will get a good final product.

But the Philippine wheel is broken :) No point reinvent or build same, because it don't function any good, which is SHOWN by their low salaries compared to other SE Asian countries...

As I said in other part above, when I talk ideas with Filipins, I say to them they need a combination of Filipin and western thinking, because if they think only Filipin way, then they will get only Filipin earning.

I ment other jobs than building my house. For house building first alternative is to move around in the neighbourhood and look for a house I like the quality of, ask who did it and try to hire him. I mean IF I find any I find good enough :)

I don't know any, who have done it in the Philippines, but there are similar problems in Thailand, and there have some foreigners with native wifes got their houses build both better and much cheaper by employ people themselves and the native wife being there checking them almost all the time.

(E g one got a very nice 150 sqm indoor floor size house for only around 25 000 USD, although they had a lot of extra details. That team leader builder said only their bathroom took same time as it take them to build such a whole house normaly :)

When I have several other things needed to be done, and I know enough to know needed working time.

Don't you believe they would understand if I say like this? :)

- When this is made you will get 400 pesos. If I find it good done, you can get more jobs.

SOME would surely fail, but if "mine" do, then I have failed picking a good one :) because I'm sure there are good Filipin workers too, if looking enough.

In my own company I don't want to have any bad workers employed undepending how litle they cost, because they would damage the working morale, so I'm prepared to work hard with that. If they work good, I can afford to pay them more, so it's important for them too.

(In my sold company, i paid as most 30 % more than a compeeting company for some types of jobs, but we could winn most offer bids anyway, because my workers did much better jobs in average. No difference from start, but after I have tought and motivated them :) I hope I can reach something similar in RP too, but I expect it will take some time.)

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Time? You do not have enough time. It is a matter of supply and demand. Workes will get slight pay increases in time, but never to match the union gouging salaries like in the US. No need. Too many looking for work. Speaking of supply and demand, I do some medical work with CSWs (prostitutes) and I have talked to some beautiful women who make less than $10 a night and are HAPPY to get it. Same women in New York could get $5,000 a night! Supply and demand........

So just remember our little posts here when you drive yourself crazy trying to get the Pinoy to think like and act like and perform like a US born and raised worker. Do not take it personally! They do not mean to dissapoint you.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Time? You do not have enough time. It is a matter of supply and demand. Workes will get slight pay increases in time, but never to match the union gouging salaries like in the US.

No need. Too many looking for work. Speaking of supply and demand, I do some medical work with CSWs (prostitutes) and I have talked to some beautiful women who make less than $10 a night and are HAPPY to get it.

Same women in New York could get $5,000 a night! Supply and demand........

So just remember our little posts here when you drive yourself crazy trying to get the Pinoy to think like and act like and perform like a US born and raised worker.

Do not take it personally! They do not mean to dissapoint you. :thumbsup:

Bruce here was a previous post that discussed about "CSW" and differences in payment

http://www.philippin...ountries/��post #3

for those who are new to the Forum

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Time? You do not have enough time. It is a matter of supply and demand. Workes will get slight pay increases in time, but never to match the union gouging salaries like in the US.

No need. Too many looking for work. Speaking of supply and demand, I do some medical work with CSWs (prostitutes) and I have talked to some beautiful women who make less than $10 a night and are HAPPY to get it.

Same women in New York could get $5,000 a night! Supply and demand........

So just remember our little posts here when you drive yourself crazy trying to get the Pinoy to think like and act like and perform like a US born and raised worker.

Do not take it personally! They do not mean to dissapoint you. :thumbsup:

Bruce here was a previous post that discussed about "CSW" and differences in payment

http://www.philippin...ountries/��post #3

for those who are new to the Forum

Ah, remember it well. There is a price difference between CSWs in Manila / Cebu and the outer areas such as Samar too!

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Time? You do not have enough time. It is a matter of supply and demand. Workes will get slight pay increases in time, but never to match the union gouging salaries like in the US. No need. Too many looking for work. Speaking of supply and demand, I do some medical work with CSWs (prostitutes) and I have talked to some beautiful women who make less than $10 a night and are HAPPY to get it. Same women in New York could get $5,000 a night! Supply and demand........

So just remember our little posts here when you drive yourself crazy trying to get the Pinoy to think like and act like and perform like a US born and raised worker. Do not take it personally! They do not mean to dissapoint you.

Well. Yes, sure I will not have time to change the mind of "all" Filipins,

BUT I only need to find a few good, because I will not employ all :)

No, in this case it's NOT only a question of supply and demand, because the PLAN is to make my company a MIX of:

/a some profit wanting company, enough för my family to live rather good (=low west european standard)

/and AID trying to assist local development, both making small farmers earn some more by buying their products to refine, and add some jobs by employing in my company, some BETTER paid than normal in that region. (=NOT use supply and demand to hold down their salary, but to get workers with good working morale*.)

*Hard though to judge how fast it's possible to do things, when the work is outside i moist heat, and my injury is to bad to test do their work myself.

Btw - I'm NOT satisfied with the performance of an average Swedish worker :) (who have good effectivity compared with most countries). Depending of what type of work it is, but normaly I have expected my teams/employed to do at least 1.5 times as much as common, and often I have succeeded to reach that too with a mix of better organisation, pick people with good attitude and make them motivated.

(The bigest difference for me in Sweden were when an opponent was only 15 minutes faster than me per day, but they were 13, and we were only 4 :)

Yes, I expect several will disapoint me, but I also expect I will find/make :) good ones finaly, enough many for the need of my company.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

well i have just read some of the old post and at lease some did try, it will not suit everyone moving to the phils, and to tell the truth if i was a new person and had no idea about the phils but what i read on here i would never ever move there, you have to try places go there and live there , but as a local if you can not taking your little brittain or usa or any country you are from and say tthis is how i am going to live just like back home, i know people who hate the french and would never ever step into the usa, and they have never been before why, because the read something or seen something on tv, well i love my holidays in france and the usa and i was going to buy in france too, you have to live in the country like the local people do that way you may get buy, but like many say it will not suit everyone,i hope it suits me

• Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

Put us on the list of ones that find it better to leave. There are many reasons why it is best for us, and I will post them this weekend if the subject is still active.

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted
my first reactions was to tell him to take his fat-ass back to the US of A where he can pay $5.00 for the same burger and if he pitches a bitch there someone will deck him ...... which is what he needs .....

ain't that the truth! *fist bump @ Mike S internet_fist_bump.png?w=450&h;=342 *

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

What the westerner sees is a long drawn out process to build a simple wall that should take 2 hours. What a Pinoy thinks is that I am paid 300p a day and I need to feed my family and I can work this wall for 3 days to get 900p to feed my family. So who is wrong? Attitude! Accept 'their' ways and be happy, or be critical and be angry all the time.

I can't agree that they think they can draw out the process. IMO they are REallY trying hard to impress me with their speed and skills so they can work for me more later. Maybe some do, but I'm sure you can find that anywhere. In Cebu City they worked VERY hard on my wall for 3 days (per your example) and even put in overtime for no increase in their rate because I wanted it done in less than 4 days. Originally I gave no reward for the good performance. Later I came back and gave them a Christmas bonus.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

you pay for what you get, whats the saying pay them peanuts you get monkeys

• Like 2