Disparaging Comments & Flat Out Rudeness In Manila

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

I am 6,3 in bare feet with shoes a little taller when at the malls people look at me all the time not sure why maybe the height or just coz i am ugly i do get asked politely how tall i am sometimes little kids just stare and look up at me from behind there mom cheers lyno

• Like 5

GregZ
Posted
Posted

In my place i definitely get the stares but they are more curious ones than malicious in any way and of course the obligatory " hey Joe" quite a lot but nothing out of the ordinary.

I think Manila is a whole different cup of tea though....its a lot more aggressive of a place than anywhere else I go in every aspect, that is the more you go into Manila proper eg Pasay, Ermita, Quiapo etc

... just jealous as was mentioned before and either wish they had your money (which none of us really have anyway!) or they are wishing they were on your arm rather than your wife!

Your area descriptions sound about right... I'm in Pasay. Back in Cebu I got "hey Joe" and "thank you" quite a bit, so I miss that for the replacement.

Here, a lot of the problem is that familiarity breeds contempt. We are living in the 30 floor building so must have money and the pedi-cabs outside want my business, but we walk everywhere. So the more they see us.... you know. Since I am sustaining an extra household here things are kind of tight; in the end I'm with you on the jealously thing... wish it wasn't like that.

One theory might be that if you are in an area where they have bars and bar girls, some locals might assume you are with a bar girl and make a rude comment due to that???

At 6'2", I do stick out like a sore thumb, so I am used to the staring, but here in our neighborhood I think everyone has gotten used to me.

No bars around me that I know of... I think that like I stated above, the same guys keep seeing me... lots of gossip here I'm sure.

I'm 6' so I'm glad you have to deal with the other 2" over me. In our neighborhood back in Cebu they are used to me and everyone knows my Taring... she has 2000 cousins there (...almost). I go walking by myself a lot THERE, for exercise, and NEVER have had any problem or felt uncomfortable/unsafe. I am in pretty good shape so that is a good deterrent in itself.

• Like 4

brock
Posted
Posted

I have had lots of comments,Like hey joe can I f**k your daughter.and you are rich do you have a big c**k,,But my wife doesnt explain to me until we are well away from the people, Which is probably a good thing really or I would be getting myself into a lot of trouble.

I think their is a lot of racial abuse and rudeness towards the foreigners, Some people just close their eyes and ears to it.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Never been to Manila but have heard the same sort of things many times about the people in Manila are not as friendly as other places. Could be just a big city thing and maybe the provinces are different. Wash your face and see if that makes a difference.

:crack-up:

• Like 3