Disparaging Comments & Flat Out Rudeness In Manila

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

JGF, I think you've had the same avatar for more than 3 weeks now... you feeling ok?

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Topic Under Special Surveillance

chinese-cyber-police.jpg

a few years ago when my child was 5yo (about 5yr ago now I guees)

I had moved and the mother had not yet returned to the house. we had a housegirl/yaya

she was not the type  wears nor do I encourage the "uniform" that some house keepers wear.

Well , the "gossip" was that I was her bf.she was my gf. that my child was hers(altho she was 18/19 yo at the time)

after she "wore" the clothing about 2(?) times, and I/my child (spoke)talked  w/some of the gossip queens,

The "remarks" ended at least that we could hear.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
Julia
Posted
Posted

I've been to too many countries and cities to count over the years. And the one thing I found constant - Someone who is identifiable as an outsider / tourist / from another city farther away is always the center of attention and the subject of rude comments. The bigger the city, the more you will observe this.

:th_thbestpost:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I am guilty of staring, ( I won't mention what I was thinking) when I saw an older white man with a young Filipina

Good point.  I would be willing to bet all of us expats are all guilty of this to a certain extent.  Even in high expat concentration areas, seeing a non-Filipino naturally gets our attention.  Then you see who he / she is with and wonder about it.  For example, today in SBFZ Harbor Point mall I saw an older Caucasian woman walking and talking (rather loudly) with a young Filipina sales girl from one of the stores.  (No Jake, nothing like that!).  It drew my attention because it was unusual, so I wondered who she was and what was going on.

Now, it doesn't help that my girls draw my attention to foreigners too.  Back down in Laguna, every time they saw a Caucasian male, they would say jokingly, "Look, there is your twin brother!"   :hystery:

Since we moved to Subic, that has died down since there are too many twin brothers to talk about!

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
When im wheelin around town, i get the same stares and comments. on occation a point and a laugh. when im with my Mayordoma, she gets asked if im her husband. She tells them , no im just keeping him  around for sex.  i just keep hush and listen to all the questions they have. and the games she plays with them.  she deserves a raise sometimes for keeping the good humor .  and im a native born Philippino. trapped in this Irish American body. go figgure......

But if you wheel around volontaringly, you don't behave as a Filipino, they think we are crazy when we wheel/walk around for exersise   :lol:

I found it much worse in Manila, than I do here in Angeles, but I guess that is because there are almost as many "foreigners" here as there are Filipinos, (and possibly because of the multitude of "Bars" here, so people are just used to seeing young Filipinas with older foreigners..

It has only bothered me, when it has bothered Ellie, which might have been more when we were first together, but not so much now.

She says it does not bother her at all, but I see something different in her eyes, then what comes out of her mouth.

My fear is for my daughter, as she definitely looks more like her Mum than me. So when she is older and in school, she may hear comments, or have to answer questions that will make her think potentially negative things about her parents.

But such is life, and we will deal with it when it happens, or... not if it does not happen.

Papa Carl

Well. Yes, more common in Angeles,

BUT I suppose bader asumtions for your wife's and kids reputation in Angeles,

so I suppose better for them if you live together somewhere else.

Yes, Asian genes dominates over western genes concerning main looks as eyes and hair color. Even 1/4 Asians look more Asian than white.  (Perhaps you have seen the American 6-lings, who have a white mother and a half Asian-white father?)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 2