Disparaging Comments & Flat Out Rudeness In Manila

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

sure just pack your elderly off to a foriegn country with NO infrastructer for the handicapped , which if they need 24/7 care they probably are, thousands of miles and thousands of travel dollars away from family/friends..away from everything they know ( food , culture, ect) to a place where they have NO rights..what kind of cold heart son of a bitch would do that to thier mothers and fathers?

OOPS... you need to do more research...... The test market is the Land of Don Ho (Hawaii) where many thousands of people have strong ties to the Philippines.  

Beyond that, $$$ for $$$ the care you can get in Phils is far superior to that of the US IF you do not have insurance and big bucks to pay out. Here in South Florida, it is not unusual for a person to pay $8,000 a MONTH for care.....

Add in the growing technology of SKYPE and the like and families can still maintain bonds without going bankrupt....

Not anywhere near as bad as you think it is and once the transition is made... it all works out

Add into that patients with dementia who do not remember family... they have no idea where they are and Phils is just as far away to them as the corner store...

So for me, and as an RN, I see true benefits for both the elderly as well as the local well paid staff...

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The wife and I have been reading this and are puzzled to do with all the rude Filipino comments. Must be a Manila thing.... never had anyone ever say anything rude to us.

Had the HATE stare to my wife several times from angry old Filipina's.

Is this something recent?

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

sure just pack your elderly off to a foriegn country with NO infrastructer for the handicapped , which if they need 24/7 care they probably are, thousands of miles and thousands of travel dollars away from family/friends..away from everything they know ( food , culture, ect) to a place where they have NO rights..what kind of cold heart son of a bitch would do that to thier mothers and fathers?

I am not forcing anyone to go to the Philippines. I am only providing an alternative for the elderly and their families who cannot afford private pay custodial care. Medicare does not pay for custodial care. You either have money or spend down your assets to below $2,000 and hope that your state Medicaid pays for your assisted living and skilled nursing care. Of course, your case is now in the hands of a nameless, faceless bureaucrat who dictates everything. And it is about to get worse as the federal and state government starts cutting back on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements. One proposal is all your Social Security benefits and retirement income is garnished. You can have $50 a month for discretionary spending like paying $8 for a glass for a glass of orange juice at a retirement home for the elderly.

My wife and I spent part of the morning with a friend who needs assisted care. She has long term care insurance, but the insurance company wants her medical doctors to certify that she needs help in five of seven categories. The doctors claims she is not yet at that stage. I offered to help find a caregiver from within the Hawaii Filipino community. Luckily, she has money and can pay the $4,000 a month suggested budget. The caregiver will reside in her home and also provide companionship.

By the way, Alaska is the most expensive state for assisted living and skilled nursing care. Hawaii is second.

Edited by JJReyes

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

The wife and I have been reading this and are puzzled to do with all the rude Filipino comments. Must be a Manila thing.... never had anyone ever say anything rude to us.

out on Samar, the rude comments are made ONLY when I am with the young helper (16 today). But when I am out with the wife type person, all we hear are requests for her to find a Kano for them.....

Also, I have been told (I do not speak Waray) that comments are made about me being well dressed as in long pants, real shirt and socks / SHOES!  The average white face is from OZ or UK and always in shorts tank tops and sandals..... And the occasional Kano dresses like the guys from OZ or UK.  

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I accept the locals for what they are, what ever that may mean and at what ever level they operate at. I think the actual issues are best said in simple examples of Asking for a Coke Zero just to be told it is Out Of Stock Sir when you can clearly see them in the case. When asked about this they say that they are Black Cokes.... One might think that the server should be able to put 1+1 to get 2 and see that a Coke Zero and a Black Coke are the same things. Or not......

I had no idea about that, and I had very high grades back in school (Swedish) so I don't find that good as example of the intelliegence level of Filipins  :hystery:

I know several clever Philippines, but there are some important intelliegence damaging factor in  the Philippines.

1. it's true the Philippine school system isn't so good. E g it's very hard to find Filipins, who can count percent at all. 

2. Poverty, making it hard to get enough nutricion in food. 

(A project investigating nutricion problems in a South American country (Peru?) show big part of the poor children show lowered intelligence by missing nutricion.)

3. An other factor we have/had in rich countries too =It's common that farmers are very traditional and stubborn don't wanting to change   :mocking:   and a huge part of the Filipin people are still farmers or grew up as kids to farmers, so not odd a big part of the Filipins have problem follow "modern" thinking.

4. Most churchs damage LOGIC thinking. (But some churchs have ASSISTED education a lot historicly e g Jesuits in South America.) An example is the big fight now between Philippine government and church concerning allowing birth control, so the poor Filipins get better chance to avoid geting many children, which they can't afford.

BUT don't forget in some family relation thinking it's common poor countries as e g the Philippines have BETTER thinking than in rich countries. (Asuming not being to poor) I surely prefer to be taken care of traditional old people care  in the Philippines (=family) than what's common in rich countries. Just looking at medicin the care PERHAPS is better in rich countries, BUT most western doctors miss to think of the whole person, so if including that in "medical" the common care of old people in rich countries are TERRIBLE...

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You are correct that the infrastructure are non-existent at the present time. What the Philippines can offer is an overabundance of unemployed and underemployed under board and registered nurses. The last number I saw was 400,000. My investment group will build one within a secured, luxury resort. The others will be joint ventures, partnership agreements and strategic alliances between American and Pilipino companies. There is another Fil-Am group proposing a large facility to be located within the former Clark Air Base. Their market is US military retirees.

For food, our retirement community is being designed for American vegans, vegetarians and organic food consumers. We checked and found out no senior living facility in the United States is catering to their dietary requirements. Vegans for example resent seating in a dining room where meat is being served at another table.

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

My prices in the Philippines is P1,000 for twelve hours or $25 a shift, $50 a day, $1,500 a month, $18,000 a year for 24/7 care. The caregivers are under board or registered nurses. The numbers come out to $500 a month per employee/nurse. I have been cautioned not to do it because the hospitals and medical clinics only pay $200 to $300 a month. We would make too many enemies. That includes the Philippine Department of Health who supposedly pays rural nurses $200 to $300 a month except from time-to-time, they are out of money.     

pretty much looks like the Philippines to me. He mentions the cost in Hawaii then expounds on the advantages of healthcare in the philippines , which is a great advantage i agree and already am planning on my wanning years to be spent here as to not burden my kids. BUT i am making that desion as a healthy 49 yr old man who likes living and experiencing new places and cultures.. my mother on the other hand wouldnt be comfortable with the same situation ..so i see his market , i guess i might fall into it lol.

Sorry about such a negitive post but health care for our elderly and the farming them out to "homes" is a touchy subject with me..and the"out of sight out of mind" attitudes of many is a sore spot with me...i should have let some time pass before i posted my reply ...My apologies JJR

And my mother is a retired RN .. i have my EMT lvl 2 as a volunteer fireman...my daughter is a practicing RN.. my mom requires occassional homecare as her diabetes/charcot feet dictate so i am VERY aware of costs..

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Looks likes you guys need your own threads for education and home health care.  Stop hijacking my perfectly fine 'rude comment' thread.  Thanks. :thumbsup: 

I lost  is quotes... and too lazy to go get, but the below comments are NOT QUITE as bad a hi-jacking and I just HAVE to comment.

Example of adaptation.  Thank you OnMyWay for realizing that you are the foreigner and changing how you referred to the item based on YOUR CHOICE to be in a FOREIGN country.  Shame on you Bruce and your apparent lack of reasoning skills for failing to put 1+1 to get 2 and see that you should call a 'Black Coke' a 'Black Coke' since that is what will get you what you want. 

BRUCE:  I think the actual issues are best said in simple examples of Asking for a Coke Zero just to be told it is Out Of Stock Sir when you can clearly see them in the case. When asked about this they say that they are Black Cokes.... One might think that the server should be able to put 1+1 to get 2 and see that a Coke Zero and a Black Coke are the same things. Or not......

ONMYWAY: Bruce, actually you reminded of something that tells me this is an "understandable" misunderstanding!

When I moved to Germany, I was a big Diet Coke drinker.  I would ask for a diet coke and the rude German waiters would look at me like I was stupid.  Even though most of them knew what I wanted, they would not let on immediately because culturally they expect you to be perfect.  So I learned quickly to ask for "Coke Light"!

• Like 3

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

<<<<<< wacks back of hand for going off topic..lol

Now as far as rudeness here..oh yea i hear it on occasion, nice advantage of starting to learn cebano/visaya..what did amaze me is the admount directed not at me but at my GF and the kids.. Most of which if i heard something like it in the states, i could supply a few dentists with work.. here i just ask them in thier parents had any children that arent rude assholes..in vasaya ..then just continue walking away...the look on thier faces is priceless most times

• Like 5

GregZ
Posted
Posted

------------------------------

After considering all the feedback here I think this is very much a Manila thing, but even more locally focused on the area near Mabini Street.  That is where a LOT of hotels are and many foreigners, street people beggers, US embassy, St. Luke's Extension Clinic where they do the physicals for foreign visas, and probably more of the same.  Between there and about half way to the Mall of Asia it seems things are like that.  They are learning young here as a 10 year old in the mall parking lot asked my wife if I am her father.  She wanted him to go away so gave him 5 pesos (a reward for bad behavior).  It is pretty bad, and sad.

Also, the taxi's are pretty bad about trying to charge flat rates instead of running the meter.  People must commonly pay the DOUBLE flat rate for them to be trying it so often.  I mention this because those taxi drivers are quite rude also.  Luckily I am in a condo unit now that has its own service for when I want a taxi and the phone number to "good" taxi drivers as backup.  In spite of both these things I am enjoying my time in Manila WHILE I patiently am VERY excited to move back to Cebu in June, HOPEFULLY.

• Like 2