Disparaging Comments & Flat Out Rudeness In Manila

GregZ
Posted
Posted

<<<<<< wacks back of hand for going off topic..lol

Now as far as rudeness here..oh yea i hear it on occasion, nice advantage of starting to learn cebano/visaya..what did amaze me is the admount directed not at me but at my GF and the kids.. Most of which if i heard something like it in the states, i could supply a few dentists with work.. here i just ask them in thier parents had any children that arent rude assholes..in vasaya ..then just continue walking away...the look on thier faces is priceless most times

I'm interested in where you are? Cebu City?

We got a LITTLE on occasion there.  It is much more frequent here in Pasay, Manila

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Ok, OK  I'm 25, you do the math  .  Actually I'm 64   Doug

Ha, ha, a similar story came up yesterday!  I showed my girlfriend a video of a ski trip from 1990.  I would have been 34 at the time.  She commented that it was too bad we could not have met back then and I pointed out that I might have spent time in jail because she was only 16 then!  And unfortunately my girlfriend and her family don't really have any pictures from that time so I don't get to see what she looked like when she was sweet 16!

• Like 2

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

yep in Cebu city..doesnt happen often but it does happen

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm interested in where you are? Cebu City? We got a LITTLE on occasion there.  It is much more frequent here in Pasay, Manila

I don't doubt it. I've never personally experienced it but one former gf from Manila told me she dressed as a boy most of the time when she traveled out of her neighborhood to avoid rude comments and sexual innuendos; so it's not just you or the fact that you're a foreigner. Cebu City is a mecca for foreigners so they're much more common, the locals have seen it all.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Looks likes you guys need your own threads for education and home health care. Stop hijacking my perfectly fine 'rude comment' thread. Thanks.

Apologies for the hijacking. Forum topics have a way of leapfrogging or meandering in & out because of comments made. This is not the first time and it won't be the last. With regards to "rude comments," most Pilipinos are simply ignorant and stupid in making them. It is not culturally unique. Same thing can happen anywhere.

I recall my wife and I visiting the parents of our closest friend. He is from Denmark and his parents live in Randers in Jutland. The children would stare and their jaws would drop. Some would point at us. We realized the two of us were the only black haired people in the entire town. Rather than feeling uncomfortable, we made it a game. When children stared, we would touch our noses with our fingers, signifying we were Inuits or Eskimos from Greenland, which is part of Denmark. They were taught that Inuits rubbed nose to nose as a sign of friendship. The children would cry or run away thinking we wanted to rub our noses with theirs.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I live in Carcar which is about a 1 1/2 hour drive south from Cebu City.  My wife hears rude comments often when we ride a tricycle or walk somewhere.  She even hears some when we are riding on our motorcycle. And, she hears some when she is alone. All young females hear rude comments but as I said they may be too shy to tell her boyfriend or husband or don't want to make him mad. Nearly all of the rude comments she has heard were from Filipino boys and men who evidently don't have any morals.

The rude comments don't bother me because I don't understand their language and to me that's a good reason not to learn it.  I rather my wife tell me later what they said so I don't loose my temper and show them what I think about their comments.

My wife and I have been with other Filipinas and their boyfriends or husbands when a Filipino guy would call the girls sluts or whores and make other rude comments and my wife would tell me what he said but the other girls didn't tell their boyfriend or husband.

From our travels I would say the problem is in all parts of the Philippines to some degree and the comments are from the lowest class of people who have no morals.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I asked a couple Filipino I know about men and boys making comments to women like this.  They all told me the same thing - these are the lower class people in their society who speak like that to all the women.  Often they are the ones who are also the local pickpockets and thieves.  And some may be gang members who are trying to make themselves look better to their fellow gang members.  The one point they did make was that these are usually the people you don't want to approach or get into a fight with.  Doing so may be dangerous to your health.  And, they tell me, these people rarely travel alone.

• Like 4

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

I am 6,3 in bare feet with shoes a little taller when at the malls people look at me all the time not sure why maybe the height or just coz i am ugly i do get asked politely how tall i am sometimes little kids just stare and look up at me from behind there mom cheers lyno

*nodding in sincere understanding*..."If I may ask Sir...what is your height Sir?"  :dance:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I asked a couple Filipino I know about men and boys making comments to women like this.  They all told me the same thing - these are the lower class people in their society who speak like that to all the women.

I were going to suggest that   :)   because it's common the missbehaving of the poor - and the brats  :mocking: (=spoiled youngsters in rich families )   - do such missbehaving in some other countries.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I asked a couple Filipino I know about men and boys making comments to women like this. They all told me the same thing - these are the lower class people in their society who speak like that to all the women.

I have to agree with the Filipinos that you've asked.  In my wife's circle, such behavior is unthinkable.  The men in her family are deferential in their treatment of women.  Her male friends in Manila are also very solicitous of her well-being.  I recall meeting a close friend of hers who spoke with me very privately, and impressed upon me the importance of continuing to be a very good husband to his good friend.

In the times we've spent in Manila, we have not been subjected to any derogatory remarks or rude stares.  But, this could also be because we tend to stay within the desirable areas.

• Like 2