Disparaging Comments & Flat Out Rudeness In Manila

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I would say most who see someone driving a $150000 car in their own country says something about it or think the same thing because we all want one but most wont ever get the chance.

That is a good perspective to mention.  I think we all can relate to that, especially when we were younger and maybe without a lot of $ in our pockets.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Use your damn head and you all would know that education is not like back home, culture is not the same as yours. Why do some hear remarks from the Filipino? Its a pretty simple thing to work out, most poorer people are jealous of someone who appears to have landed a money tree, anyone ever heard the term Crab mentality?

Yes, but rudeness don't have to do with education level, it's an upbringing thing. Telling rude things in PUBLIC so the object hear I believe NOT belong Filipin CULTURE, but them having bad upbringing. But Yes the crab mentality and gossiping belong to the Filipin culture, but isn't normal gossiping told so the object DON'T hear?  :)

Filipinos must have more brains than the foreigner as l hear they are always getting ripped off? who is the clever one?

Haha. A very good point. And they manage to survive BIG families on only 5000 PESOS per month, which needs thinking too. Some SMALL kano families manage to get high depts and few assets, although they earn much OVER 5000 US DOLLARS per month!   :hystery:  (E g Swedish TV show a serie about such bad handled economy, some even earn almost 10 000 USD, but get more and more in dept each money anyway!!!)

I would say most who see someone driving a $150000 car in their own country says something about it or think the same thing because we all want one but most wont ever get the chance.

That is a good perspective to mention.  I think we all can relate to that, especially when we were younger and maybe without a lot of $ in our pockets.

That's a reason I plan to have a less than 150 000 PESOS car   :hystery:  in the Philippines (Probably a "Toyota Other" jeep, but covered.)

--

Not sure what I thought when I were small kid, but at least since I were 13 I have never been jelous. Partly depending of I don't bother any much about things, but when I have seen something I want, then I have seen it as a GOAL instead to try to reach. My such REALY wanted things have never been very expensive, so having them as goals have been realistic. For instance I found cars as e g Lamborgini nice, but I'm not much interested in such, surely not worth the money for me, so if I would winn one, I would sell it   :)   But I admit I would find a Humber or an amphibie car nice and practical, when living rural in RP   :hystery:

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

I think the actual issues are best said in simple examples of Asking for a Coke Zero just to be told it is Out Of Stock Sir when you can clearly see them in the case. When asked about this they say that they are Black Cokes.... One might think that the server should be able to put 1+1 to get 2 and see that a Coke Zero and a Black Coke are the same things. Or not......

Bruce, actually you reminded of something that tells me this is an "understandable" misunderstanding!

When I moved to Germany, I was a big Diet Coke drinker.  I would ask for a diet coke and the rude German waiters would look at me like I was stupid.  Even though most of them knew what I wanted, they would not let on immediately because culturally they expect you to be perfect.  So I learned quickly to ask for "Coke Light"!

well ...........  what was that well worn saying, "when in rome ...............

:hystery:

• Like 2

Ashanti
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't know...  When a person states that he wants to live in a foreign country because the majority of the locals have no brains whatsoever and that is the way he likes it...   I still think it's being rude to all Filipinos with this statement.

dont sweat on it Bob .............. were not ALL sensitive but just keep an eye on that left hook when we had enough!

:hystery:

Edited by Ashanti
  • Like 5

Americano
Posted
Posted

Ashanti,

I appreciate your attitude. I don't know how many people could keep a good attitude when their country men are being talked about.

I hope no one has been rude to you there in the UK.  You seem to be a very nice lady.

• Like 4

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

I  have never had any negative comments made to me or my partner.As i said in an earlier post i just have been looked at and sometimes asked how tall i am .if people want to engage me in a conversation of a trivial nature i am happy to talk to them, after all we are visitors in there country and if we want to be treated with respect we should also treat them with respect.after all we should be proud of our home countries,and its people.And if we choose to live in the phils [ make it our home]  we should be proud of the philippines and its people :558:

• Like 5

Americano
Posted
Posted

Lyno,

I'm sure you don't hear any negative comments to you or your partner in Melbourne since that is where you live, but try living somewhere in the Philippines and traveling around a bit and I'm not talking about in a Taxi or bus where you or your partner can't hear any comments from people on the streets. If you walk on the streets most places in the Philippines with your partner she will hear rude comments even if you don't hear or understand them.  The only question is how you and your partner deal with those comments.  The best way in my opinion is to ignore all rude comments which obviously come from the lowest class of people who have no morals or respect for anyone including their selves.

Visiting on a holiday is not the same as living here.  Rushing around in a taxi before your holiday ends you just don't have enough time to blend in with the other people and experience everything like someone who lives here and walks long distances or travels by tricycle. That's when you will hear the rude comments.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Ashanti,

I appreciate your attitude. I don't know how many people could keep a good attitude when their country men are being talked about.

I hope no one has been rude to you there in the UK.  You seem to be a very nice lady.

I have a strong suspicion that Ashanti quickly learned the British upper lip (her words) and will stand

her ground to protect her family and her reputation.  Ashanti has a take no chit attitude.  Believe me,

I know.....I've been shaken and stirred for the last 27 years.  The wrath of the woman, especially from

my wife is absolutely terrifying.  But I encourage all Pinays to apply that mentality, rather than being

shy or having that bahala na behavior.  

Unfortunately, most Pinays that I know have suffered in silence.  My mother for example is the most

sweetest person you will ever meet.  But she suffers in silence due to a poor marriage of over 50 yrs.

Perhaps your new wife and GF should learn to open up to you.  It's not fair that she is suffering in

silence while you guys are whacking off happy, not knowing that she is deeply hurt inside.  

Good boy ako -- Jake

• Like 4