Brief Description Of 13A Visa Process In Cebu:

richy
Posted
Posted

Simple as could be! Actually thanks for getting all this. I have looked around but this looks like a pretty good list. But... 8 trips, huh? It's more fun in the Philippines!

How many immigration hearings did you attend ? Just one ? Did you have to attend one for the conversion to permanent resident from probationary ?

Thanks!

Shol,

The list you quoted above was not posted by me. Someone with Mod. or Admin rights added it to my #1 Post.  It came from the BOI website.  It gives the requirements but doesn't give you the steps you must complete.  Look at the bottom of my #1 Post and you will see the Microsoft Word file I made and attached.  Just click on it to open the file or you can go to Post #3 where Boss man copied and pasted the file I made to make it easier to read so you don't have to open the file.

To answer your question, you must attend 2 interviews with a BOI lawyer.  On my list they are No. 2 and No. 6.  The first one is for the Probationary 13A and the last one is for the Permanent 13A.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I was wondering what are the required background checks for the 13a visa and how long do they take to get? And the costs for these background checks including the costs to mail them.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was wondering if the fbi background check is needed for the 13A visa . . . 

There are some who are finding this to be the case.  At this time there is a change in BI commissioner in the process.  As usual there are different results for different people (its the Philippine way).  It means all you can do is apply for the 13a but be prepared to get an fbi clearance that is approved by the Philippine Embassy in the US.   With luck you may not need it.  With luck the new commissioner will do away with that foolish requirement (but you will have to wait a couple months to find that out.)

• Like 2

Markham
Posted
Posted
With luck the new commissioner will do away with that foolish requirement

I rather doubt he will, what's more I suspect that this requirement was 'suggested' to the Philippine Government by its friends in the US as a means of flaging-up those who seek to evade the US justice system.

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is my understanding and experience that you can't get a US passport if you are a felon .... period ...... only if you are currently being investigated for a crime can you still get out of the country ...... applying to the FBI for a clearance will not turn up anything if you are not charged with a crime YET and you will not even be in their data base .... if you already have a passport and are convicted it will be cancelled .... so the whole process as far as I can see is nil and void ..... just another way to keep foreigners from living permanently in the Philippines ..... JMHO .... but I think I'm right ....  :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Just wanted to add we are ONLY talking about a 13a here not a tourist ... student .... retirement or other visa so if they are just trying to run away they certainty won't be getting a 13a .... at least anytime soon .... they just want to get here and disappear into the woodwork like some others we know or have heard about .... as far as to continue their visa trips to the BI we all know they won't bother just live in a small remote area find a young girl and live happily ever after waiting to be picked up and be deported .... sound familiar to anyone ..... :mocking:  .....  they are just attacking one class of persons ..... those that want to marry a Filipina .... but then you can still do that without a 13a .... so go figure .... :hystery:

Edited by Mike S

MikeB
Posted
Posted

My friend google tells me that having a felony conviction will not automatically exclude you from getting a US passport but there are certain crimes, like drug smuggling or treason, that will likely result in a denial.

Because of the timing I thought the Pope courthouse shooting in January was the catalyst for this home country background check requirement for 13a visas. There was a lot of clamor in the paper about requiring stricter background checks for foreigners because of it and then it was announced. Doesn't make a lot of sense when anyone with a Filipino spouse can enter the country with a BB stamp and there's no record at all. 

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike  I found this info which I guess led me to believe that a felon would be except from getting a passport because I know they ask you if you have ever been convicted of a crime and as I haven't I didn't know what would happen if I put yes ..... I do know if you have been convected of taking or using drugs you will more than likely be turned down as I had a friend who got in trouble years ago for drug abuse and was denied his passport ..... 

TITLE 22--FOREIGN RELATIONS CHAPTER I--DEPARTMENT OF STATE PART 51_PASSPORTS--Table of Contents Subpart E_Limitation on Issuance or Extension of Passports Sec. 51.70 Denial of passports. (a) A passport, except for direct return to the United States, shall not be issued in any case in which the Secretary of State determines or is informed by competent authority that: (1) The applicant is the subject of an outstanding Federal warrant of arrest for a felony, including a warrant issued under the Federal Fugitive Felon Act (18 U.S.C. 1073); or (2) The applicant is subject to a criminal court order, condition of probation, or condition of parole, any of which forbids departure from the United States and the violation of which could result in the issuance of a Federal warrant of arrest, including a warrant issued under the Federal Fugitive Felon Act; or (3) The applicant is subject to a court order committing him or her to a mental institution; or (4) The applicant is the subject of a request for extradition or provisional arrest for extradition which has been presented to the government of a foreign country; or (5) The applicant is the subject of a subpoena issued pursuant to section 1783 of title 28, United States Code, in a matter involving Federal prosecution for, or grand jury investigation of, a felony; or (6) The applicant has not repaid a loan received from the United States as prescribed under Sec. Sec. 71.10 and 71.11 of this chapter; or (7) The applicant is in default on a loan received from the United States to effectuate his or her return from a foreign country in the course of travel abroad; or (8) The applicant has been certified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services as notified by a State agency under 42 U.S.C. 652(k) to be in arrears of child support in an amount exceeding $5,000.00. (b) A passport may be refused in any case in which the Secretary of State determines or is informed by competent authority that: (1) The applicant has not repaid a loan received from the United States to effectuate his or her return from a foreign country in the course of travel abroad; or (2) The applicant has been legally declared incompetent unless accompanied on his or her travel abroad by the guardian or other person responsible for the national's custody and well being; or (3) The applicant is under the age of 18 years, unmarried and not in the military service of the United States unless a person having legal custody of such national authorizes issuance of the passport and agrees to reimburse the United States for any monies advanced by the United States for the minor to return to the United States; or (4) The Secretary determines that the national's activities abroad are causing or are likely to cause serious damage to the national security or the foreign policy of the United States; or [[Page 265]] (5) The applicant has been the subject of a prior adverse action under this section or Sec. 51.71 and has not shown that a change in circumstances since the adverse action warrants issuance of a passport; or (6) The applicant is subject to an order of restraint or apprehension issued by an appropriate officer of the United States Armed Forces pursuant to chapter 47 of title 10 of the United States Code. (Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1405-0077) [54 FR 8531, Mar. 1, 1989, as amended at 62 FR 62695, Nov. 25, 1997]

Legal Issues

Felons and people who owe child support payments also might have their passport applications denied. If you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you'll need to make arrangements with the state you owe the money in before applying for your passport. Plan ahead: It can take the state up to three weeks to pass the payment information on to the passport office. If you've been convicted of a felony, check with your parole officer before applying to be sure you're allowed to seek a passport.

US Passports Denial

Having your US passport application denied is not a fun experience especially if you are applying on a time restraint. But the truth is that the majority of denials are due to simple human error. A missed name change or other verifying information can cause a anything from a delay to a denial depending on the severity of the omission or the agent handling the application. To insure you get your US passports in a timely fashion, you need to check and double check your application and insure you write in a legible manner.

However, when it comes to US passport denial, you will find that sometimes, a denial is inevitable. Certain conditions will cause an automatic denial stamp to slow down your travel plans in the future. Of course, it is important to remember that just because you possess a US passport does not mean you get to travel freely around the world. For instance, most felons can obtain their US passports, but not all countries will allow admittance to individuals with a felony conviction.

What are some of the conditions that may cause automatic US passports denial?

If you owe child support, you will usually not be able to obtain a US passport. The United States takes parental responsibility seriously. Parents owing more than 2500USD may find their application quickly denied. In the United States it is a crime to be a “dead beat” parent. Since many people struggle with making those child support payments, you may be surprised to learn that this is the number one reason an individual’s passport application is denied.

If you have a federal arrest warrant, well, you will not only be denied on your application, but you will most likely find that your address is shared with law enforcement agents. Even bench warrants can cause some problems when it comes to obtaining your US passport. Best rule of thumb in this case is to keep your nose clean by staying out of situations that can lead to legal ramifications.

If you are awaiting trial, you may find you cannot obtain a new passport and your current passport is suspended. Most people have a stipulation to their bail stating they cannot leave the country in an effort to avoid missing the court date. Most people awaiting trial cannot receive passports.

While convicted felons are not necessarily denied their passports, you may find that if you are on parole or probation getting a passport is impossible. Those individuals on probation or parole may not leave the country; therefore, they will not need a passport.

When it comes to obtaining US passports staying out of trouble is the best way to insure you obtain your passport freely and easily. However, it is important  to remember that most delays and denials in the application process are due to human error. If you want a surefire way to insure you receive your passport without delays, you will discover hiring VIP Passports helps insure you get it done right the first time every time.

So I guess that if you had served your time you could get a passport unless the Sec. of State decided you couldn't ..... and god only knows what she would do .... especially if you are a man .... :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
spyke69
Posted
Posted

weird...got my I-card in manila says permanent for expire date

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

weird...got my I-card in manila says permanent for expire date

It's a mistake. It expires 5 years from the issue date.

spyke69
Posted
Posted

mine says permanent...can email if you dont believe

Americano
Posted
Posted

I think Steve believes you, he's just saying someone made a mistake when they made your card.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic